Pre-Game Talk: GM 34: Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers - Dec 13 - CBC - 6:00PM PST

Tanevian*

What's Anson Carter up to these days?

bottom2oct20-highres.jpg

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Honestly don't care much if we lose this game, just want to beat Boston. Obviously would prefer both wins, but as a fan its hard not to look past this game and focus on the Bruins.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
First of a back to back, Lack just got a shut out, and Bruins on Sat. Gotta go with Lack against the Oilers.

Luongo is the type of goalie who struggles if he hasn't seen action in awhile, I'd worry about that Boston game after a somewhat lengthy lay-off if Lack does start against the Oilers.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Every year I say "This may be the year the Oilers put it together with all the talent they have stockpiled." Every year I'm wrong. They've changed coaches, like three times. They keep drafting high end talent. They've signed some free agents. But this year they are even worse than Calgary. I thought CGY would be the worst team in the league, but the Oilers and Islanders have stepped up to the plate to fight for that distinction.

The only danger is if the Canucks play down to the opposition. The Oilers are averaging 3.36 GA/G - so maybe we can get some offense going?

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Of the two games this weekend, this is the more important game. The Boston game, after what would then be a six game winning streak, would be an acceptable and understandable game to drop, but not this game against the Oil. Anyone who's putting more value on the Boston game needs to forget about 2011. They aren't rivals.

That said, we all know which game we're more excited to watch :nod:

Yeah. The 2 points against the Oilers are a must. As much as it would be awesome to beat the Bruins again, 2 points is 2 points this season.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Jack Edwards sounds like an actor playing a play-by-play announcer on TV. Like Phil Hartman on the Simpsons or something.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Every year I say "This may be the year the Oilers put it together with all the talent they have stockpiled." Every year I'm wrong. They've changed coaches, like three times. They keep drafting high end talent. They've signed some free agents. But this year they are even worse than Calgary. I thought CGY would be the worst team in the league, but the Oilers and Islanders have stepped up to the plate to fight for that distinction.

The only danger is if the Canucks play down to the opposition. The Oilers are averaging 3.36 GA/G - so maybe we can get some offense going?

The most likely scenario is that when the Oilers get it together everyone will see it coming. Getting things to finally come together for a modest season clinching a bottom playoff seed, then if they're lucky working up from there the following few seasons.

The problem I have with many analysts and some fans in regards to the Oilers in recent off season is they seem to be expecting this big sudden emergence where all of a sudden they're awesome and will be knocking us out of top spot in Canada West. Going that far after a single off season is extremely unlikely.

Anyways looking at their lineup it's easy to see how they've turned things around a little as that forward lineup looks good, but defense and goaltending are still really bad.

Cool Hand Goof*

lack really needs to go in goal , coming off a shutout its a pretty easy thing for torts to do

really dislike we have to play these losers the day before we play the bruins

atleast they suck

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I feel like you have to do Lack v Edmonton, reward for a great job done in the shutout. Give Luongo some confidence winning against the Bruins(or completely shatter it after a blowout loss?)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Regarding Edmonton,
It's actuually pretty amazing that a team with three successive overall first picks is so bad. They have also had high second round picks etc. and have very little to show for it. Part of it no doubt is the years that they had the first overall picks were not great years but you would think that they would have found the odd good player outside of the first round as well.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Regarding Edmonton,
It's actuually pretty amazing that a team with three successive overall first picks is so bad. They have also had high second round picks etc. and have very little to show for it. Part of it no doubt is the years that they had the first overall picks were not great years but you would think that they would have found the odd good player outside of the first round as well.

They just have such a mediocre team behind those high picks. They need more players to help out with the heavy lifting. They are built like a Southeastern team.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They just have such a mediocre team behind those high picks. They need more players to help out with the heavy lifting. They are built like a Southeastern team.

Agreed. I also think they need a different variety of high picks. Hall, Yakupov, RNH and Eberle are all forwards who play to a certain extent a skilled game. Three of them are wingers too. You throw in Gagner and Schultz as their other young players and you ahve a team that will get pushed around. They need more grit and size like a Landeskog or Galchenyuk and could use a top defenceman like Seth Jones instead of one of the forwards.
Overall a pretty weak crop of first overalls when compared to other years.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks you keep the same routine this weekend? Luongo gets Edmonton, Lack gets the second game in back-to-back games, so he gets Boston. Boston is in the east so it is no more important than any other 2 point game. You risk injury playing Luongo to much. If it was a pacific division team maybe Lou, but it's not so give Lack his starts.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks you keep the same routine this weekend? Luongo gets Edmonton, Lack gets the second game in back-to-back games, so he gets Boston. Boston is in the east so it is no more important than any other 2 point game. You risk injury playing Luongo to much. If it was a pacific division team maybe Lou, but it's not so give Lack his starts.

I think Lu will totally get Boston. If you are worried about injuries, play lack against edmonton since he is coming off of a solid win and play Lu on saturday. :handclap:

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver

The routine was broken the weekend Luongo played back to back games.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
If Justin Schultz could turn back time.....

If I Justin Schultz could find a way
Justin Schultz would take back those words that hurt Mike Gillis and He'd say

I don't know why I did the things I did I don't know why I said the things I said
Pride's like a knife it can cut deep inside
Oilers are crap they only win sometimes.

I didn't really mean to hurt you I didn't wanna play in the AHL I know I made you cry, but baby

[Chorus:]
If Justin Schultz could turn back time
If Justin Schultz could find a way
He'd take back those words that hurt you
And he'd stay
If I could reach the stars
I'd give them all to you
Then you'd love me, love me
Like British Columbia used to do

If I could turn back time

My world is shattered I am torn apart
Like someone took a knife and drove it deep in my heart