Post-Game Talk: [GM 31] Canucks lose to Blues | 1-5 | Mikheyev

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If you want context as where the Canucks are at right now, the Habs, Rangers and Kings announced to their fans a few seasons back that they were blowing up the roster; and in just two or three drafts they've now passed the Canucks heading in the other direction.

Hell, even the Seattle Kraken are closer to competing for a playoff spot in only their second year of existence. How futile is that?

But it really starts at the top. The Canucks have a 73-year old president who really needs to gather his fishing poles and head for Shady Acres. And what of all the people he hired? Well, if they bring in somebody new, then some will go and some will stay.

They're got a lame duck coach behind the bench who could be fired next week, next month or at the end of the season. Who knows?

And finally there's ownership.....who've graduated from just being merely incompetent to now being an embarrassment to the entire league.

This organization is in a shambles from the top down.....so tell me again why Canuck fans should even care?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they traded a bunch of picks for another bottom 6 d-man.
I expect Mr Aquilini to direct Geez and Mr Chips to trade this year's first and second round draft choices to clear cap space to sign Horvat. I just can't imagine him watching one of his star players get away and I think this is the reason he has hung onto those picks until now. Normally Mr Aquilini likes to weaponize his first and second round picks to bring in players that can help the team push for a wild card playoff birth but I think this season will be the exception to the rule. As much as Mr Aquilini would hate to part with players like Myers, Garland and Pearson, if it means having the space to sign his captain I think he'll do it and those high draft choices will be the tonic the helps teams swallow those awful contracts.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
sell the team! Sell the team!

Is there an owner in North America as hated as Francesco?
hes only hated by people who visit message boards or the like. everyone else is just confused why this is happening. most people would be mad at management if they dont resign horvat after this career year, they dont actually know about things like salary cap implications

Reactions: Nucker101

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
hes only hated by people who visit message boards or the like. everyone else is just confused why this is happening. most people would be mad at management if they dont resign horvat after this career year, they dont actually know about things like salary cap implications
No the average fan is freaking out right now. Joe Fan is demanding a rebuild.

Not many cities do I see people paying $150 a pop to chant against the owner. Beautiful. God bless the damn fans. Make my eyes tear up.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
No the average fan is freaking out right now. Joe Fan is demanding a rebuild.

Not many cities do I see people paying $150 a pop to chant against the owner. Beautiful. God bless the damn fans. Make my eyes tear up.
Ya but you do need to tear it down first.
Once done this is the game.
Actually it isn't because the younger guys will be playing for pride and be happy to be in the league.
Not jaded and disillusioned.

Paper bags boys, you can even write on them and they are cheap.

The die has been cast now it is the time for actions and not words.

Reactions: gringo

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Meh.

I watched the Rams/Packers game along side this, once the Canucks were sucking gas I’d swap over and watch trash ass Baker Mayfield against soon to be wash Aaron Rodgers.

Reactions: Indiana

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Was at the game today - kudos to those who braved the snow and transit delays to go to and from the game! Crazy delays on the skytrain - literally just got home around midnight

Thoughts on the game:

-building was fuller than I expected but very quiet. I haven’t been to a game in years but I remember it being louder in the past. Lots of kids and families so I can kinda get why it was like that
-not a big surprise but the team really misses Petey, there was no movement on the PP and the PK gave up a few goals. Lose the special teams battle and lose the game… go figure
-can’t really blame Martin on any of the goals except the second one. The other ones were snipes or where the scorer was left wide open
-the Canucks let the Blues enter the zone way too easily with too much speed. Their PP also looked more lethal and the Blues were just crisper with passes and move the puck with purpose. The Canucks just sorta stood around and passed it on their power plays
-Lazar probably the best Canuck tonight, skated hard on the forecheck and had a few good chances. 4th line once again probably the Canucks best line which is a problem
-Garland was good too, probably the second best Canuck behind Lazar
-Miller was barely noticeable except for a penalty he took lol
-Didn’t really notice Horvat much
-Boeser had a few good looks but also not much of a factor
-Mikheyev is really really fast. Looks almost even faster in person. Scored a nice goal before the wheels came apart in the second
-OEL and Myers had a tough night. Made a few errors that were almost expected at this point. Thought Bear and Burroughs had solid nights. Schenn too. Hughes was relatively quiet

I was in the lower bowl and could hear the “sell the team” chants in the third. Team was also booed off the ice. Kind of got the feel the fans were apathetic after StL scored the third goal

Once again, poor effort. Too many passengers but sadly nothing new with this team. Team is bottom 3-5 without Petey

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
29/33 games with 3+ conceded

defense still looks bad

coaching is still awful

forward lines constantly changing

still zero accountability

we have one regulation win in our last ten games… a 3-2 over noted juggernaut arizona

if anyone has not yet looked at our january schedule, it is hell. they need to win four of their next five badly

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
29/33 games with 3+ conceded

defense still looks bad

coaching is still awful

forward lines constantly changing

still zero accountability

we have one regulation win in our last ten games… a 3-2 over noted juggernaut arizona

if anyone has not yet looked at our january schedule, it is hell. they need to win four of their next five badly
Arizona was an ot win.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Schenn better watch himself. He is making to many valid points about our team and our depth.

Reactions: Indiana

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
It's amazing how bad we look in all situations without Petey. The guy carries play a lot more than many fans realise. Kid is truly special. Also really seems like everyone has a good read on Martin and his aggressive style now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I expect Mr Aquilini to direct Geez and Mr Chips to trade this year's first and second round draft choices to clear cap space to sign Horvat. I just can't imagine him watching one of his star players get away and I think this is the reason he has hung onto those picks until now. Normally Mr Aquilini likes to weaponize his first and second round picks to bring in players that can help the team push for a wild card playoff birth but I think this season will be the exception to the rule. As much as Mr Aquilini would hate to part with players like Myers, Garland and Pearson, if it means having the space to sign his captain I think he'll do it and those high draft choices will be the tonic the helps teams swallow those awful contracts.
If the Canucks trade either their first or second this year HF Boards will melt down and rightly so.

Such a mess right now and no easy way out either as the mistakes can't retroactively be undone.

They need to get something for their future by trading Horvat, Schenn and anyone else with value.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Benning was bad no doubt lol, but wondering what happened to all those people who used to blame Gillis before because he left the cupboards dry for Benning I thought it was always Gillis fault lol..... I don't see those comments anymore :laugh:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning was bad no doubt lol, but wondering what happened to all those people who used to blame Gillis before because he left the cupboards dry for Benning I thought it was always Gillis fault lol..... I don't see those comments anymore :laugh:
I don't either
mainly because I put them on my ignore list.:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Seriously these morons on 650 are the worst. "All those TANKERS!! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED" ... Ya idiots... but not trading away picks to get rid of contracts. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!! STOP PUTTING MORONS IN CHARGE!!!

Oh man, glad you posted it. Thought the same thing listening.

I like Bik/Sat and they've done a good job on the post-game show, but man this was a frustrating listen. Basically using fans getting mad at these results to show how this market would react to a tank/rebuild. It wasn't something they dwelled on, but Bik even talking like that pissed me off.

Reactions: quat

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Right before the roster freeze.

As I predicted and hoped would happen.

I wonder if even Allvin is following the same logic as us here - get the young guys (Hog and Pod) away from Bruce and this trainwreck and just let them dominate the AHL.

Or it's the complete opposite and they hate Hog and are actually demoting him because Studnicka and Pederson are better in their eyes lol

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
sell the team! Sell the team!

Is there an owner in North America as hated as Francesco?

James Dolan rolls with 10 security guards to Knick games

Washington commanders owner is probably the most corrupt owner in North American sports with like 5 different federal investigations against him

but Aquilini is definitely bottom of the barrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad