Post-Game Talk: [GM 31] Canucks lose to Blues | 1-5 | Mikheyev

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's amazing how bad we look in all situations without Petey. The guy carries play a lot more than many fans realise. Kid is truly special. Also really seems like everyone has a good read on Martin and his aggressive style now.
Yep. An absolutely putrid club without Petey. Basically Arizona/Chicago tier.

As I predicted and hoped would happen.

I wonder if even Allvin is following the same logic as us here - get the young guys (Hog and Pod) away from Bruce and this trainwreck and just let them dominate the AHL.

Or it's the complete opposite and they hate Hog and are actually demoting him because Studnicka and Pederson are better in their eyes lol
I mean, it's probably that.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
As I predicted and hoped would happen.

I wonder if even Allvin is following the same logic as us here - get the young guys (Hog and Pod) away from Bruce and this trainwreck and just let them dominate the AHL.

Or it's the complete opposite and they hate Hog and are actually demoting him because Studnicka and Pederson are better in their eyes lol

From what is reported management likes hoglander and does not want to move him, carolina had interest.

Bruce on the other hand does not like this type of player, he has a history of scratching and getting upset at young talent who can score but might make the odd mistake. He is the one scratching him for other AHL plugs. Its not to different then another older coach we had willie D.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The team looks rudderless.

The good things so far this season has been the resurgence of Pettersson...Bo Horvat finding his scoring touch..Quinn Hughes still breaking club records...Luke Schenn...Kuzmenko being a natural goalscorer.

The downside has been the supporting cast..Boeser,Myers,Garland,Pearson..OEL has been up and down...The non emergence of Podkolzin and Hoglander (Podz never had his game from the get-go this season) who are both currently in the minors.

Last, but not least, the goaltending (a pillar of strength of the team last season) that has let them down considerably this season..Nothing sucks the life out of the team faster than mediocre goaltending...As spectacular Martin was a backup, as a # 1, he's getting beaten with clean shots through his glove side and over his shoulder.

This core group has been together for four years now..Somethings gotta give.

Reactions: Grantham

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
hes only hated by people who visit message boards or the like. everyone else is just confused why this is happening. most people would be mad at management if they dont resign horvat after this career year, they dont actually know about things like salary cap implications
Delete.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
At least the ridiculous Martin > Demko talk has been put to bed.

Playing behind a team that gives up so much space in high danger areas will expose most goalies outside of like top 2 or 3 in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
From what is reported management likes hoglander and does not want to move him, carolina had interest.

Bruce on the other hand does not like this type of player, he has a history of scratching and getting upset at young talent who can score but might make the odd mistake. He is the one scratching him for other AHL plugs. Its not to different then another older coach we had willie D.
3 goals on the season does not make Hoglander a goalscorer..and he makes far more defensive gaffes than he converts at the other end.

I'm a fan of the player, but he still has to learn...I'd say he'd get the same treatment from any other NHL coach.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
At least the ridiculous Martin > Demko talk has been out to bed.

Playing behind a team that gives up so much space in high danger areas will expose most goalies outside of like top 2 or 3 in the world.

you would think that at some point people would realize that almost all rookie goalies that look great regress hard and most never play to that level again after they establish themselves in the league and teams start to scout them

Reactions: Nucker101

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
you would think that at some point people would realize that almost all rookie goalies that look great regress hard and most never play to that level again after they establish themselves in the league and teams start to scout them
The other thing that I think people forget or don’t realize is that Martin is OLDER than Demko. He’s not some young goaltender just finding his way as a pro.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

The good things so far this season has been the resurgence of Pettersson...Bo Horvat finding his scoring touch..Quinn Hughes still breaking club records...Luke Schenn...Kuzmenko being a natural goalscorer.

The downside has been the supporting cast..Boeser,Myers,Garland,Pearson..OEL has been up and down...The non emergence of Podkolzin and Hoglander (Podz never had his game from the get-go this season) who are both currently in the minors.

Last, but not least, the goaltending (a pillar of strength of the team last season) that has let them down considerably this season..Nothing sucks the life out of the team faster than mediocre goaltending...As spectacular Martin was a backup, as a # 1, he's getting beaten with clean shots through his glove side and over his shoulder.

With how voodoo goaltending can be, I think it is foolish to continually put out flawed defences/teams and base success off of goaltending. That’s how you get the Carey Price Canadiens and Nonis era Canucks. Teams that may sometimes make the playoffs and even win a round or two, but have zero chance if the goalie isn’t out of this world or gets injured. Goaltending alone can’t win a cup. Everybody brings up LA and Boston, but LA and Boston were elite defensive teams that didn’t make a lot of mistakes.

Honestly, we have probably been due a year of bad goaltending. I don’t think are starting goaltenders have had a bad year since 2006.

Goaltending has been bad, but our play in front of the goalie has been equally bad. Really hard for goalies to get their confidence back when the team continually gives up odd man rushes and misses assignments.

Reactions: Orr4Norris and quat

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

And three of these players are UFAs at the end of the year

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks cough up another two PP goals last night, to add to their league leading total. On the basis of their PK alone, this team is at the bottom of the standings because they deserve to be.

You really don't have to have a team of superstars to kill penalties. The Sharks are one of the best PK teams in the league, with a bunch of no-names.

Nope.....it comes down to 'pride, hustle and desire' , which is in very short supply in Canuck-land these days.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
With how voodoo goaltending can be, I think it is foolish to continually put out flawed defences/teams and base success off of goaltending. That’s how you get the Carey Price Canadiens and Nonis era Canucks. Teams that may sometimes make the playoffs and even win a round or two, but have zero chance if the goalie isn’t out of this world or gets injured. Goaltending alone can’t win a cup. Everybody brings up LA and Boston, but LA and Boston were elite defensive teams that didn’t make a lot of mistakes.

Honestly, we have probably been due a year of bad goaltending. I don’t think are starting goaltenders have had a bad year since 2006.

Goaltending has been bad, but our play in front of the goalie has been equally bad. Really hard for goalies to get their confidence back when the team continually gives up odd man rushes and misses assignments.
Again, goaltending isnt the 'sole' reason for the teams problems...Nobody is expecting Hasek/Price level goaltending from our goalies...All one expects/hopes is for your goaltending to be average, but it hasn't ..Its been brutal.

Conversely, its really hard for the team to get their confidence back, when the goalie is continuously getting beaten cleanly on stoppable shots...They're not getting the saves...That sucks the life out of any lead/comeback.

When the Canucks are getting brutally outshot in the 1st, and we concede goals, you certainly cant fault the goalie on those games( Minnesota, a week ago)..There's also been games this season, where the team has come out flying in the 1st period, and the goaltending has really let them down. (Montreal..conceded 4 goals on 8 shots).

Bad defensive play by the forwards/D + bad goaltending...One hand feeds the other, in no particular order..They both co-exist simultaneously for the Canucks

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Again, goaltending isnt the 'sole' reason for the teams problems...Nobody is expecting Hasek/Price level goaltending from our goalies...All one expects/hopes is for your goaltending to be average, but it hasn't ..Its been brutal.

Conversely, its really hard for the team to get their confidence back, when the goalie is continuously getting beaten cleanly on stoppable shots...They're not getting the saves...That sucks the life out of any lead/comeback.

When the Canucks are getting brutally outshot in the 1st, and we concede goals, you certainly cant fault the goalie on those games( Minnesota, a week ago)..There's also been games this season, where the team has come out flying in the 1st period, and the goaltending has really let them down. (Montreal..conceded 4 goals on 8 shots).

Bad defensive play by the forwards/D + bad goaltending...One hand feeds the other, in no particular order..They both co-exist simultaneously for the Canucks
I think I've mentioned this before, but the Canucks have also benefited from playing against goalies who've had bad games.

The team is shooting at just under 11% so opposing goalies are sitting at .890 sv%

The team's sv% is just under 88%

So overall the team has been hurt more by their own goaltending but their offense has also benefited from opposition goaltending.

Goes both ways.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Our "Even strength defense efficiency" rating is now 31st.

Only Anaheim is worse, and nobody is touching them
but my god we are brutal

We are also dead last in Goaltending efficiency

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think I've mentioned this before, but the Canucks have also benefited from playing against goalies who've had bad games.

The team is shooting at just under 11% so opposing goalies are sitting at .890 sv%

The team's sv% is just under 88%

So overall the team has been hurt more by their own goaltending but their offense has also benefited from opposition goaltending.

Goes both ways.
Keep in mind the difference in quality of chances conceded and it likely evens out.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
James Dolan rolls with 10 security guards to Knick games

Washington commanders owner is probably the most corrupt owner in North American sports with like 5 different federal investigations against him

but Aquilini is definitely bottom of the barrel
Is Snyder hated by his own fan base ? Probably

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
OEL and Myers had a tough night. Made a few errors that were almost expected at this point. Thought Bear and Burroughs had solid nights. Schenn too. Hughes was relatively quiet
Actually Myers ended the night with a 0 +/- rating, meaning he was not on the ice for any goals against

Reactions: Grantham

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Actually Myers ended the night with a 0 +/- rating, meaning he was not on the ice for any goals against
I actually thought Myers was our best defensemen tonight. Wish he could play like this more often and we wouldn't call him chaos J anymore. I thought Hughes also played really well and was flying out there. Had a real hop in his step so it was a shame to waste that effort.

OEL was just tragic. He literally laid out a runway for opposing forwards entering our zone. Just so slow to react. Last year he was at-least good defensively. This is such an anchor contract.

When can we play Burroughs on his correct side? Why do all the other RD get to play their proper side but Kyle has to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. Early in the year he was generally the best defensive D playing the right side.

Miller just lost his legs this season. The effort was there, but it's like he last a full step. Skating was a + for him, now he is labouring 20 seconds into his shift.

Thought Martin wasn't very good, and St Louis's spazz goalie was great.

Mikheyev was our best forward quite easily.

All in all, probably for the best they keep losing so they don't hang onto Horvat and other assets for a delusional "playoff run". Let the pain begin...

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
3 goals on the season does not make Hoglander a goalscorer..and he makes far more defensive gaffes than he converts at the other end.

I'm a fan of the player, but he still has to learn...I'd say he'd get the same treatment from any other NHL coach.

Hoglander has produced well at even strength especially this last month, goal scorer is a term, he can produce points 5 on 5 with basically no power play time, he should be playing on a team that struggles in that area especially over some other ahl fodder bruce seems to love (willie d vibes with megna and chaput) who are never sat if they play poorly. Everyone on this roster outside of pettersson I can say needs to learn...thats such a vague general hockey speak phrase.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hoglander has produced well at even strength especially this last month, goal scorer is a term, he can produce points 5 on 5 with basically no power play time, he should be playing on a team that struggles in that area especially over some other ahl fodder bruce seems to love (willie d vibes with megna and chaput) who are never sat if they play poorly. Everyone on this roster outside of pettersson I can say needs to learn...thats such a vague general hockey speak phrase.
Hogs isn’t a 4th line grinder,and if you’re not producing in the top 9,you better not be a liability in your own zone..Sportsnets Mike Futa pointed out Hogs poor decision making during an intermission (‘ this must drive coaches nuts’) a few weeks back.

Dries has just as many goals as Hog this season in 7 less games.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Hogs isn’t a 4th line grinder,and if you’re not producing in the top 9,you better not be a liability in your own zone..Sportsnets Mike Futa pointed out Hogs poor decision making during an intermission (‘ this must drive coaches nuts’) a few weeks back.

Dries has just as many goals as Hog this season in 7 less games.

In response to this. Also mike futa is not a guy I would be quoting as a great voice, he has said some things many dont agree with. He is extremely old school in his thinking. I can point out poor decision making for pretty much everyone this roster as I mentioned that must drive the coaches nuts, do you know how many bad plays everyone on this team makes every game? Also dries has far less offensive potential, although I was not referring to dries really specifically either. Theres alot of ahl guys on this roster bruce likes similar to Willie D. The annoying thing with hoglander is he was producing fine 5 on 5, he has been up with the club for a few seasons, now suddenly in the middle of winter cause the coach does not like you, you get sent to the ahl. Its not great development imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad