Post-Game Talk: [GM 3] Vancouver Canucks @ Washington Capitals | 4 - 6 Loss (Pettersson, Horvat, Lazar, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Great post, you nailed it. That's also one of my biggest regrets with how this organization handled Horvat. He was miscast right from Day 1. The organization had him pegged as a 'Linden/Kesler' TWF type player when in reality, he was more of a Jeff Carter/Jason Arnott type guy (PWF C). That, combined with the fact that Horvat always had to play with crap like Eriksson (I won't label Pearson as 'crap' but still), just really helps Horvat back imo. It's really too bad because the two times that we actually made the playoffs (15' and 20'), we saw a real player in Horvat. We saw a guy who clearly elevated his game when it mattered most.

So although Horvat's agent is completely out to lunch with a lot of his comments, I can also see where he's coming from with a lot of what he's been saying.

Horvat clearly has some limitations in his game but he's never really been used in a way that maximizes his strengths and that's a damn shame.

It's as if they literally just looked at a photo of Horvat or saw him walk up to the stage at the draft or whatever and were like "HOLY f*** THIS GUY'S NECK IS THE SAME WIDTH AS HIS HEAD IF NOT WIDER" and decided he was destined to be the grittiest, grindiest, scrappiest Good Canadian Kid to ever anchor a checking line and that was how it was gonna be.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Don’t er us winning this one either. We are just way too easy to play against.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
How does the order even get determined in twitter posts like that? Isn't it just completely random? I doubt the coaches announce which one is the first, second, and third line, even in a practice setting, right?-- I assume Sports journalists just write down the line combos they see in the order that they see them.

Yeah, it's usually just the order that they take rushes.

Reactions: Vector

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'd say this is a bit of a stretch.

We haven't looked amazing but we've also had multi-goal leads and been tied late in both games.

The next 3 teams we face aren't juggernauts, all average at best.

I never had high hopes for this team, but I think the doom and gloom has gone a bit overboard considering how early it is. We could win 2 of the next 3, end up 2-3 on the road trip overall and that isn't terrible.

Too much panic over two games. Blowing 2 good leads in the first 2 games. Let's hope we don't miss the playoffs by less than 4 points.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Powerplay needs to MOOVE around. No wonder everyone makes terrible passes, the lanes remain permanently closed if no one skates.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Too much panic over two games. Blowing 2 good leads in the first 2 games. Let's hope we don't miss the playoffs by less than 4 points.
In each of the last two seasons, the Canucks were basically 'done' by the 25-game mark. And even going 32-15 under Boundreau couldn't save their season last year....so basically from the end of November the only thing of interest was where the Canucks would be drafting.

If Canuck fans are panicking after just two games, they have good reason. As a fan, do you really want to go through a third year where the season is basically 'over' by end of November-- with four months left on the schedule?

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
Would prefer
Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Miller-Garland
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Joshua-Aman-Lazar

Although Boeser hasn't looked great to start the season, no reason in wasting him on the wing with Pearson and Horvat. That line as a whole would be way too slow.

Reactions: Tact and wonton15

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Rathbone will come in with a 5 goal effort and will be crowned captain by February

Book it

6 goals, 6 assists and 6 fights. It would be known as the Jack Rathbone triple hat trick.

By the way, i would really prefer if we lost. We need Connor Bedard

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
All I know, is I ain’t betting 50$ on this team again.

That being said, unless ovy gets a hat trick, we probably win. Although I thought that about Philly too.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
either start f***ing playing good and winning, or send Pettersson to San Jose for a kings ransom.

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
I'm a Canucks fan living in Washington, and today I'll be at the Cap One Arena to watch the boys. Vancouver's AHL-level defense makes me nervous. But honestly, the Caps aren't looking too hot either and their firepower isn't what it used to be, so I do have some hope Vancouver can sneak a win tonight. Really hoping we can see some of the energy the Canucks showed on their opening period vs Edmonton.

Also, tonight will be my son's first live Canucks game. Mine was back in the 90s at the Pacific Coliseum vs Brett Hull's St. Louis Blues, a game that Vancouver won 3-1. Hopefully my son also gets to say his first game ever was a win!

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
2nd year in a row our special teams are killing us

Fire king
It is really amazing that he was able to survive the initial purge. I'm still going with the theory that the Sedins vouched for him because of the old days with the mattress line.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'd say this is a bit of a stretch.

We haven't looked amazing but we've also had multi-goal leads and been tied late in both games.

The next 3 teams we face aren't juggernauts, all average at best.

I never had high hopes for this team, but I think the doom and gloom has gone a bit overboard considering how early it is. We could win 2 of the next 3, end up 2-3 on the road trip overall and that isn't terrible.

Sounds like the coaching staff talking points after the Flyers game.

They believed it so much that Lazar is getting reps in the top 9 and the entire lineup is in a blender after 2 games.

Indeed it is only two games. But they were concerning and that should be a discussion point.

The next three teams are indeed average....so are the canucks. I'm not on the playoff hype train as I think their chances are less than a coin flip but I want to see some progress with the way the team plays on the ice (better transition, better team D, 60 minute efforts). Those things have been underwhelming through camp and the first two games. Hopefully we look at it as a mere blip in the season when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad