Post-Game Talk: [GM 3] Vancouver Canucks @ Washington Capitals | 4 - 6 Loss (Pettersson, Horvat, Lazar, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks are going to have to put their workbooks on, and outwork the other team..I don't think they outworked the Oilers or Flyers.
The Canucks will eventually start putting wins together, and JT Miller will find his game..but urgency is needed now..In 3 days from now, the Canucks could find themselves 0-4, and would be in the familiar spot of digging a hole thats hard to climb out of.

Neither Washington or Columbus are world beaters..

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Why does Bruce continue to play are two SLOWEST wingers together and you add a C that's struggling and has mediocre playmaking? that line is a disaster waiting to happen...... and promoting Lazar to play with Petey?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Let's just say f*** it and overload the top six.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin
Miller - Horvat - Garland

Or slap the lotto line back together.

And I don't think it would be the end of the world to run a 3rd line of Lazar flanked by Pearson and Garland/Hoglander.

Reactions: sting101 and Vector

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
A few observations for posters;

Do you know what "The Hawthorne Effect" is?
Does this team look that much different than past years?

Before the refrain was "It is hard to always be playing catch-up, from behind but so far it is the same with the lead.

The system looks different than when Bruce first got here.

There seems to be a lot of "thinking" going on with the top lines.

Washington will be more of a challenge I think
They are still a team the Canucks can take but if Ovy gets going I am not sure Petey should be blocking any of his shots.

Can they keep playing Demko or due to the back to backs does Spencer get Washington and they give Demko the Bluejackets?

Washington has 3 key core players out the Canucks are only missing Myers and Mikheyev and there are many posters that are happy Myers is out.

I want to say Canucks could win this but I really thought they had a very good chance against a rebuilding Philly team that had so many NHL starters out.

Maybe this game Washington gets a lead and the Canucks have to battle back, that might change their fortunes.

Washington wins this one though, the Vancouver sticks are being squeezed way too hard.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He is slow, out of shape and disinterested

Look at the top centres on on top 2 lines of other teams. Bo does not beat out many 2nd line centres. He has always been terrible defensively

Do not get why fans like him, very overrated

He’s averaged 30-30-60/82 over the past 4 years. Scored at a 36 goal pace last year.

And he isn’t ‘terrible defensively’. He’s average defensively, maybe slightly above-average for a top-6 C. His problem is that he gets put into Patrice Bergeron minutes and amongst the 32 guys who play those types of defensive minutes for their teams he is below average.

He’s an above-average 2nd line C.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
I think having so many talented players the Best line is always to put Pettersson with Miller. They have done it before. Horvat then gets some cool wingers too. But Pettersson- Miller is the way to win the cup. Miller is one of the Best players In the league.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
I know Boudreau will go in a different direction game (i.e. Lazar with Petey and Kuz + Horvat replacing Miller on the Boeser/Pearson line), but this is what I'd do:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Podkolzin (lets see what Podz can do here)
Hoglander-Miller-Boeser (as dismal as 2020-2021 was, this line played pretty well together that season)
Pearson-Horvat-Garland (familiarity; proven chemistry)
Joshua-Aman-Lazar

I know Boudreau will go in a different direction game (i.e. Lazar with Petey and Kuz + Horvat replacing Miller on the Boeser/Pearson line), but this is what I'd do:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Podkolzin (lets see what Podz can do here)
Hoglander-Miller-Boeser (as dismal as 2020-2021 was, this line played pretty well together that season)
Pearson-Horvat-Garland (familiarity; proven chemistry)
Joshua-Aman-Lazar

He’s averaged 30-30-60/82 over the past 4 years. Scored at a 36 goal pace last year.

And he isn’t ‘terrible defensively’. He’s average defensively, maybe slightly above-average for a top-6 C. His problem is that he gets put into Patrice Bergeron minutes and amongst the 32 guys who play those types of defensive minutes for their teams he is below average.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Completely agree.

Can't believe some people on here believe that Horvat is a 3rd line calibre center. Boggles the mind.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

I’d go so far as to say he’s a good to very good 2C. A centre that scores 30goals, has enough size and strength to protect the puck, skates reasonably well, is elite at a position on the PP, is at least average defensively, can play in the PK rotation, and is really good at the dot are not at all common. In addition to that he handles a lot of the captains day to day jobs such as media pretty well.

Horvat’s weaknesses are his playmaking, that he isn’t elite defensively, he sometimes isn’t as physical as someone his size can be, and he doesn’t have a nasty edge to his game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Couldn't have said it better myself. Completely agree.

Can't believe some people on here believe that Horvat is a 3rd line calibre center. Boggles the mind.

It's ridiculous. People get triggered because 'CAPTAIN MADE BAD TURNOVER' or 'CAPTAIN DIDN'T FIGHT GUY' and then their hate-clouded judgement leads to takes like this.

He should never have been made captain at such a young age when he still had so much developing to do as a player. All it's done is made him a lightning rod for criticism.

The HNIC broadcast last night made an interesting point on Darryl Sutter. Sutter was made captain in Chicago at a very young age as a player and felt it was a terrible decision and the worst thing that could have happened to him because he knew he wasn't the real leader in a dressing room filled with older guys. And that's why Calgary doesn't have a captain right now. And I agree completely. NHL captaincy is basically an unnecessary dumb thing that's done mainly for PR and provides few positives while hanging a massive albatross around the player given that responsibility.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's ridiculous. People get triggered because 'CAPTAIN MADE BAD TURNOVER' or 'CAPTAIN DIDN'T FIGHT GUY' and then their hate-clouded judgement leads to takes like this.

He should never have been made captain at such a young age when he still had so much developing to do as a player. All it's done is made him a lightning rod for criticism.

The HNIC broadcast last night made an interesting point on Darryl Sutter. Sutter was made captain in Chicago at a very young age as a player and felt it was a terrible decision and the worst thing that could have happened to him because he knew he wasn't the real leader in a dressing room filled with older guys. And that's why Calgary doesn't have a captain right now. And I agree completely. NHL captaincy is basically an unnecessary dumb thing that's done mainly for PR and provides few positives while hanging a massive albatross around the player given that responsibility.
He should've never been asked to handle the tough defensive assignments as a sophmore in the NHL when they just #$%#@$%@#$% acquired Sutter. A truly WTF Willie D moment. At least Willie corrected that mistake early in that season (but it should've never been tried).

Reactions: geebaan and MS

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
He is slow, out of shape and disinterested

Look at the top centres on on top 2 lines of other teams. Bo does not beat out many 2nd line centres. He has always been terrible defensively

Do not get why fans like him, very overrated
I think you're being a little extreme.

This is a pretty good article

It's obvious that he's at best a low end 1C, but he's pretty firmly a 2C.

I seem to remember some of the players from the Kings, when they were cup contenders, would have horrible regular season performances, but when the playoffs came around, they would up their games. Problem with vets doing this right now is the fact that the team around them isn't good enough to make the playoffs imo if the vets slack.

Last edited:

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
We're two games in and I'm debating whether I should watch games. I actually have a legitimate health issue (long covid) and I've noticed that positivity, mindset and optimism are incredibly important in the healing process. However during yesterday's game I got so amped up for the game, to see an effort like that was just an absolute wtf moment. I was furious over a stupid game, which is bad news for someone who is trying to heal.

The person I realized I was most angry at was myself. I bought all the BS, its a fresh start, its unfinished business, its this, its that. It was 100% BS. These guys are here to collect a paycheque and they don't care how many Philadelphia like teams walk all over them in the process. We the fans get ourselves hyped and convince ourselves this lineup is super strong and should be at least entertaining. Wellp. It wasn't even entertaining, honestly it was a slog getting through it.

Miller and Bo. Honestly, one more effort like that and they need to be in the press box, I don't even care if we lose 10-0 because at this point it would be less embarrassing than what we see with a mostly full lineup. There were other passengers but those guys are supposed to be our leaders. Bruce needs to kick their f***ing asses publicly, enough is enough.

I absolutely cannot believe Bo would betray his captaincy with these primadonna efforts and for what? Is he not wealthy enough? Is he jealous he wasn't signed first? I keep reading he's a "slow starter" well then that's a character issue and he needs to get lost. If we miss the playoffs I hope he scores 15 goals and gets a fraction of the AAV he falsely thought he was worth. One more "I'm still in the OHL" style deke and I'm turning the next game off. I honestly have loved Bo but he might not be the character guy I thought he was, in fact quite the opposite.

Jt. It's one thing to say he's going to become a better two way player and not even remotely try to be. Its another thing to come out and act like you're mad about it. Just own it - you're a one way player who's talented enough offensively to score 100 and yet NOBODY wanted you this offseason until the Canucks had to save face. Just come out and say it - "I wasn't good defensively but its not my job. I need to score, which I also sucked at yesterday". None of this "I can't believe how many goals I've been on for" LMAO. Watch the game tapes buddy, you we're giving 60% efforts in the D and neutral zone, OF COURSE THEY FILLED THE NET. And it will continue to happen, there is no reason now to believe otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad