Post-Game Talk: GM 3 | Flames def. Canucks - 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Man, that was just an awful game altogether. I can't think of a single player that stood out as having a positive game. Maybe Beagle, Hughes, and Hamonic?

It is concerning that Petterson has been such a non-factor thusfar. I get that he's missing Miller, but he's supposed to be a difference-maker - and that's supposed to come without dependency. Also don't think that Horvat has done much since G1, other than win face-offs.

One last thing - Nate Schmidt is a really good player, but I don't know how he fits into our current system. Playing with Vegas, he was really good at facilitating the continuation of possession and instigating transition. The problem is that this Canucks team isn't particularly good at either of those things. I don't think that he's the same kind of 'body on the line' defenceman that Tanev was. And, considering how many chances this team yields, it's noticeable that those chances are getting through to the net. You could argue the same of Hamonic, who hasn't done much - good or bad - to this point.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Our depth is just awful, its easily the biggest problem we have.
Goaltending was good again tonight

Not really. Sutter has outplayed Pettersson FFS. Our bottom 6 sucks but it's not the problem right now. Our franchise centre looks like an AHLer.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Our depth is just awful, its easily the biggest problem we have.
Goaltending was good again tonight
Yup. An injury to one of our few skilled forwards has us in a HUGE hole. The cost of our wretched bottoms 6 forward group has really hamstrung the canucks skilled depth.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Not really. Sutter has outplayed Pettersson FFS. Our bottom 6 sucks but it's not the problem right now. Are franchise centre looks like an AHLer.

Yeah, Idk if i would go as far as the last statement but our bottom 6 has probably driven possession just as much if not more than our top 6 over the past two games.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Thought it was a pretty ugly game from both teams. Canucks look uninspired with a very poor effort.

Top lines need to get going. Petterssen has not looked good to start the season.

Good thing Edler is okay. They can't afford to lose a defenseman at this point.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Thanks to having three legs, four feet, 16 fingers, and two functional penises, Frank Lentini had a successful career as a sideshow performer, married twice, and had four children.

... The more you know!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
my biggest disappointment so far this season has been roussel because he said he wasn’t healthy last season but now was but he looks the same as he did last season.

Just bad.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Man, that was just an awful game altogether. I can't think of a single player that stood out as having a positive game. Maybe Beagle, Hughes, and Hamonic?

It is concerning that Petterson has been such a non-factor thusfar. I get that he's missing Miller, but he's supposed to be a difference-maker - and that's supposed to come without dependency. Also don't think that Horvat has done much since G1, other than win face-offs.

One last thing - Nate Schmidt is a really good player, but I don't know how he fits into our current system. Playing with Vegas, he was really good at facilitating the continuation of possession and instigating transition. The problem is that this Canucks team isn't particularly good at either of those things. I don't think that he's the same kind of 'body on the line' defenceman that Tanev was. And, considering how many chances this team yields, it's noticeable that those chances are getting through to the net. You could argue the same of Hamonic, who hasn't done much - good or bad - to this point.

Regarding Schmidt. He might not be as great in season games where we're not the team with a ton of possession, sure. But hes a better all around d man. His skating is top notch and that's going to shine when games really matter and when our team puts it together. I have loved how his skating has allowed him to keep with players

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm guessing Hughes misses tanev and Ep misses Miller. I think they will adjust fine in time but right now, it seems like they are trying to do too much on their own and trying to force too many plays. I don't question their effort but they seem a little less certain on the ice right now.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
To me this teams issue is a top-down systematic issue. In transition our plan is to stand nearly completely still in the neutral zone, stand still with the puck on our stick (if the pass isnt too hard), and then once we get pressured after standing still long enough, chip it randomly somewhere else (or deflect it deep and give it to the other teams defenders who go entirely unpressured on the forecheck). There is very, very little movement in transition and our passing is just horrific. Absolutely nothing connects.

And then there's our current powerplay, which consists of standing completely still in tight with zero movement side to side and passing back and forth with the PKers not needing to move whatsoever to block their lanes. It's just an absolute mess of coaching and it's absurd that there's been no accountability for it. Our 5 on 5 play has been depressing to watch even going back to when we were winning games last year and now our PP and PK look just as bad. These are not issues that are going to be solved by more games carrying on throughout the year - we are not going to have consistent success this year playing the way we did last year.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Bottom 6 is absolutely part of the problem. Nobody is able to elevate into the top 6 to fill in without losing a beat. 3rd line should have a couple guys capable of playing in your top 6 if you want to be a contender.

Bottom 6 is too slow and can't win puck races. Can't score cant skate and can't even Kill penalties right now. It needs to be nuked from orbit. I'd rather have 6 guys making league minimum. Results wouldn't be much different.

Reactions: geebaan

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
BB6 was the best player on the ice for us tonight although everyone sucked.

I have hated how Boeser has played while his injury has limited him but I am excited about his season still, his shot looks good. He has looked good on the wall/strength. No issues with him so far. Itll come.

Pettersson on the other hand, needs to carry a line and he's not doing it yet. I am also confident itll come

While these losses haven't been great.

After watching these 3 games, I am actually quite excited about them putting it together. We need Juolevi to break out or Harmonic to regain his old form to really get anywhere. Our d isn't good enough if one of these things doesn't pan out.

And yes we can't have sutter and beagle on the same line. I really hope when Podkolzin comes, sutter moves to center and Beagle is off the team.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
okay

guys its the 4.38th game lmao

RIGHT?

Time to panic.

ogMGpcR.gif

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
With the PK costing us 2 games in a row, I'm assuming Eriksson is back in on Monday at the expense of MacEwen.

Is Newell Brown also in charge of the PK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad