Post-Game Talk: GM 3 | Flames def. Canucks - 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Marky with the shutout. Nice.

this team just isn’t very good. They weren’t last year either.

got lucky to get into the playoffs and had a feel good run.

suck balls this year, can Benning and Green, get a decent GM and a real coach, ship off the useless crap in the bottom 6.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Before I continue, again IMO this is an exhibition game. Hopefully things will get better. But I don't expect issues that are "same old..." to get better. Why would they when the players we're talking about continue to age? Unfortunately I see a lot of the same old problems coming up with the same old players.

I think the real issue is that Calgary also had exhibition game awkwardness and didn't put in a consistent effort and still out-battled the Canucks. By a lot. That's not a new problem either.

Our D is Quinn Hughes and Schmidt paired with whatever boat anchor we have available. It's just a defence without any vision behind it, and it has been that way for awhile. At least before Tanev and Edler were constants. But Edler is simply getting too old now. Myers, again, looks like a bottom-3 d-man. They keep plugging in guys without wondering if they fit with the rest of the players. That works with Hughes, but hardly anyone else. There's really no solution to this problem that shouldn't have begun 2-3 seasons ago. Rathbone sounds good but we haven't seen him at all. I guess we'll get to see him soon though.

The construction of the team is super fragile. EP hasn't been good so far. But if you have depth you can cover up for some of your top guys having a bad stretch of games. We don't have depth. Also, any line without QH pair on the ice has to work harder because they aren't getting clean feeds from the back end. Because we get hemmed in, our good players end up defending their whole shift. Then we take tons of penalties and those good players get even less time. This paragraph was meant to talk about the forwards but it's impossible to separate them from the D because, well, it's a team game.

Pearson had one really good game and now is back to being invisible. This is pretty much par for the course for him. He isn't a consistent driver of play. At least Horvat has Hoglander now but Hogs is still a rookie. Horvat himself has been up and down.

The bottom-6 hasn't changed. It's full of old, slow players who may or may not put in an effort. I think Gaudette tries but he's the only person with skill in the whole group. And the group doesn't offset their lack of skill with consistent hustle. You get sweatiness from McEwan and Motte but that's about it.

Last season I kept saying our PK wasn't that good, and by the end of the season the stats proved me right. It looks the same this season except we won't have that red-hot streak at the beginning of the season to prop up the stats. This is on Green IMO.

Again we're traditionally an injury-riddled team, and with the age of half of the roster I don't see that changing with a condensed schedule. We can't afford to lose anyone anywhere...even the players who have consistently played poorly for streaks that have lasted for 2-3 seasons now.

Might be a long season. I wish we were in the same situation but with a ton of young kids on the roster. At least then I would have some hope that they would grow into important roles on the team. But instead half of our roster are barely animated corpses. Also, I don't see a ton of help coming that won't need 1-2 seasons to acclimate.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
PS I guess Calgary playing like crap still doesn't botch shutout bids by their goalie in the last 5 minutes.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
What are you even talking about? Here where? With one of the most promising young cores in the entire league? Or are we somewhere else in your mind?

I'll give him credit for some of the drafting but holy f***...Benning wasted ELC years for the core of Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser by tying up near 30 mil of cap space on junk that hasn't helped them at all.

Ferland, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Baertschi, Eriksson, and Myers.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
If you had told me before the season that I wouldn't really have to talk about the goaltending that much three games in, I wouldn't have believed you. But, here we are.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
While Tanev looks like he's playing great I set the over under at 23 games before he sits with injury. If he has to play any type of significant minutes there's no way you see this Tanev to end the season. Would be surprising if the condensed schedule causes doesn't cause his play to decline significantly over the course of the season.

Calgary is gonna need to preserve him somewhat f they want to see anything out fo him come the end of the season.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I'll give him credit for some of the drafting but holy f***...Benning wasted ELC years for the core of Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser by tying up near 30 mil of cap space on junk that hasn't helped them at all.

Ferland, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Baertschi, Eriksson, and Myers.

Yeah I wish I was 6"4 and had Tom Brady's genes............this isn't an ideal world and there literally isn't a team in the league that has everything ideal on their roster.

I'm pretty stoked where our team is at. I think we are positioned incredibly well for the coming years.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->