Post-Game Talk: [GM 29] Canucks defeat Flames | 4-3 (SO) | Horvat, Garland, Dries, (Kuzmenko)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's a 2nd pairing and 2 3rd pairing. 2 4/5s, 3 3rd pairing and 1-dimensional tiny offensive dman.

You have spent too much time watching the Canucks. I'm calling it Vancouver syndrome, where you becoming too acclimated to rubbish that mediocrity it starts looking good.
Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say anything about it looking good.

I've already acknowledged how limited it is, that's obvious, but I do think that it's possible to make smart decisions to get a lot out of a little and at least mitigate damage, especially if you're able to get consistent scoring. Playing Stillman and Myers a ton is not how you do that, IMO. That's setting the trash on fire.

Mediocrity/a borderline passable and serviceable average core (that could be lifted up by a strong offense) would in fact be a worthwhile upgrade on outright rubbish, yes.

I understand the tank mentality, but doom and gloom taken to the point where even discussing modest improvements gets scoffed at seems a bridge too far for me, personally.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I feel like Bruce's handling of the defensive core is the biggest problem on the team at the moment, personally. I don't even think the d-group looks bad if we run with something like:

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Bear
Dermott - Burroughs

But it just doesn't happen. Not that it would be ideal either, but at least not that much of an eyesore, and enough for the scoring to carry them, IMO.

Dermott hasn't even been available for a single game this year. Can't blame everything on the coach.

Stillman over Burroughs is an issue.

Reactions: bh53 and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
To go further, Dermott is still on LTIR. They won’t need to make a roster move as they have around 2.7m in space (he’s at 1.5m) and 22 roster spots when they get clearance to activate him.

Reactions: Lindgren and MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Stillman and Myers ARE getting torched MUCH more. If you actually hone in and watch them defend, they play like chickens with their heads cut off. Absolutely unacceptable lack of hockey IQ and decision making. They fail to make the simplest plays and can't read the play at an NHL level. The stats from that one game were a complete mirage and don't mean anything and if you were fooled by that then I have nothing more to say. They fail the eye test again and again and are absolute terrible defenders who are hemmed every single shift.

Burroughs Dermott and Bear are better period. Stillman and Myers should be benched.
I disagree..After every loss (or even before every game), there's a witch-hunt for Stillman...I'm not a fan of the player, but he's been no worse than the rest of them lately...I've been on these boards long enough to know when fans turn on a certain player, they start start nitpicking every thing that they do..(its usually a bottom of the roster player)..Its convenient.

The other D pairings have been equally as bad as the Stillman /Myers pairing in the last 2 weeks..(I'm talking about the stats from that period).

Bear was awful last game..Unsurprisingly, he was on the 4th pairing at practice today.

Reactions: theguardianII

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Bear has declined a bit from his "hot start." If you can call it that, hot underlying metrics start?

But... he has still been the 2nd or 3rd best Dman night in night out...

Oh well. Cant be arsed to get my pulse up for what ever this team does at this point until they start the actual work of fixing this team.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The blame game.

Let's decide before the game who to blame.
But first let's not count any fan favourites in there.
We ALL know Hughes is perfect and can't be blamed for Dzone play.
Let's all decide it is Stillman, Myers, OEL, Miller, Boeser and Boudreau.

Okay those are the excuses.

Markstrom was a slow starter early with the Canucks and then picked it up so I expect his game will come around.
If this turns into a goalie battle Calgary walks away with this game.

Canucks have had a long rest, Calgary hasn't, it won't make a difference.
Calgary was still expected to be one of the top teams this year Vancouver was not if using betting lines.

Don't know what to post.

Pettersson sick? Recovering? Will it have any meaning at all?

Flames win

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Hopefully Petey feels better. Its been good to see him dominate the way he has, really want to see how good of a season he can put together.

Nov 1, 2011
Sigh......52 years on this rodeo circuit.

When is that 99 point JT Miller going to show up, if ever?

Don't we have a 30 goal, 75 point JT Miller.

Isn't that pretty good?

The question is whether our goalies are going to be better than AHL level players (including Demko 0.883 sv%)...if we don't get goaltending at a 0.910 save% we're screwed.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don't we have a 30 goal, 75 point JT Miller.

Isn't that pretty good?

The question is whether our goalies are going to be better than AHL level players (including Demko 0.883 sv%)...if we don't get goaltending at a 0.910 save% we're screwed.
Miller has been just super duper!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You'd think that just any other NHL team would rally around their backup goalie, and lock it down to reduce the high-danger chances against. At least that's the theory.

But so far, Martin has faced as many eye-ball to eye-ball chances as Demko in his prime. This team just can help itself.

Calgary is veteran team still trying to find a way to mesh all the new pieces together. But they'll get there eventually. Canucks facing two tough games against the Flames and Jets.

Could easily see them three games blow .500 once again after this stretch. But that's the way it is for a mediocre hockey team---two steps forward and three steps back.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Bruce arguably had one of the hottest and most effective lines in the league and hands down the best line on the team in EP-Kuzzy-IM and what does he do ???
Breaks it up

Has hogs playing well with Miller and Bo and he demotes Hogs for Brock

He has a much better option than Stillman sitting in the press box and he keeps rolling with Stillman

So the conclusion ???
- master class tanking
- pure incompetence

Miller has been just super duper!
Yes… for the opposition

Reactions: bh53 and Kevinsane

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Bruce arguably had one of the hottest and most effective lines in the league and hands down the best line on the team in EP-Kuzzy-IM and what does he do ???
Breaks it up

He has a much better option than Stillman sitting in the press box and he keeps rolling with Stillman

So the conclusion ???
- master class tanking
- pure incompetence

Yes… for the opposition
I agree pretty puzzling decisions. We broke up that line because boeser is a little cry baby

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Breaks it up

So the conclusion ???
- master class tanking
- pure incompetence

Yes… for the opposition

It may very well be master class tanking.
Though, a lot more sophisticated than what it appears. As you would imagine from professionals.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
If Bo goes….which he will, we better dump Miller for what little he is worth now as he is headed to negative value the longer he “plays”

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Sweet baby Jesus I'm not going to read too much into those lines.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I thought the Garland-Dries-Boeser experiment was over. I think Bruce has a soft spot for Dries. He seems much more lenient with him compared to guys like Hog/Pod

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I thought the Garland-Dries-Boeser experiment was over. I think Bruce has a soft spot for Dries. He seems much more lenient with him compared to guys like Hog/Pod

Dries gets by on the fact that team is centre deficienct. Hog/Pod are in a veteran winger heavy team.

Reactions: Peen

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks will have their hands full with the Flames, especially with the way the Canucks have been playing of late..They hit rock bottom on Saturday.

There is something broken in their preparedness for home games..I'd say that the opposition takes the initiative in the 1st period more than half the time on home ice...The coach and GM talk about practicing the 'right way' as good teams do, but clearly its not rubbing off on the players yet..The penny hasn't dropped.

Saturdays game against the Wild was a pathetic effort in front of the home fans..After the game, I wrote in the GDT that I would bag skate the team if I were the coach...Funnily enough on the following day, Boudreau did precisely that.

They catch the Flames at the tail end of the road trip here...( not that it made any difference when the canucks played the Wild, who were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights.)

edit;..I thought this was a home game..my point about home game preparedness still stands.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad