Post-Game Talk: GM 29: Canucks def. Senators 5-2 on Burrows Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
is it me, or did the Canucks didn't look very good at all 5v5 against one of the worst teams?

don't get me wrong, I am so happy Rooster is back, Hughes played pretty good tonight, and happy for Demko with the bounce back game, some bull shit calls against us, no doubt, but Ottawa I felt had a better game which is bad.

Reactions: Jimnastic

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Love the guy but Boeser hasn’t taken the next step of development I thought he’d taken by now.

Maybe it’s the short injury riddled offseasons or the mistake of gaining muscle before the season. But he just hasn’t gotten better since his first season.

It’s the little plays that Boeser just doesn’t seem to care for. He purposely never is the first person to the puck when the puck is at the boards. It’s almost like he’s getting slower every season. The play consistently dies on his stick more than ever. It’s almost like he thinks he can slag on D cause he’s an offensive star. But he’s not even close to an offensive force as he thinks he is.

Right now he’s relying on his one attribute, and that’s his elite shot.

It’s a little worrisome for the team in the long run if Boeser doesn’t pan out as the elite top line winger everyone pegs him as being one. Or perhaps this just might be Boesers ceiling.. a very good one dimensional impromptu goal scorer

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm ok with EP not producing at ES right now. IMO this was always going to be a transitional year for him, the typical sophomore slump. He's not suprising everyone and people are clearly game planning for him. Not as much ice as last season. As the year goes on I think he'll figure it out 5v5, to me it's more about him bouncing back next season.

If you look at it that way, the fact that he is PPG is not only amazing but a huge bonus in terms of where I thought his development curve would be.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm ok with EP not producing at ES right now. IMO this was always going to be a transitional year for him, the typical sophomore slump. He's not suprising everyone and people are clearly game planning for him. Not as much ice as last season. As the year goes on I think he'll figure it out 5v5, to me it's more about him bouncing back next season.

If you look at it that way, the fact that he is PPG is not only amazing but a huge bonus in terms of where I thought his development curve would be.

Oh for sure. It's just so stark to me the way he stood out every single shift last year, whereas he's been largely invisible in many of the games I've watched lately. Still tonight was his 100th game and he notched his 98th point. Not bad.

Boeser is the one I'm somewhat concerned with. Guy just looks like Vanek at times, floating around while randomly popping in the odd goal.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not the prettiest win...What looked like an easy cakewalk in the 1st,looked very precarious in the 2nd and 3rd...The insane part of the Canucks schedule is done...A good 3 day rest, get some of the injured bodies back into the lineup..and they should be ready to roll on Saturday.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Honestly, with what we have in Roussel and the role he plays, why the hell did we need Ferland?
Oh wow. I want to ventilate you for this moronic post but I don’t want another ban :(

so, hope you enjoyed the game. Go canucks go!

Reactions: Nomobo

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Unless they thought Rousell was never coming back, or would never properly recover from his injury, it really doesn't make a lick of sense to have paid out like that for Ferland. Maybe they were just playing it safe? Either way, it was unfortunately a bad bet.
What a stupid post. We have the softest team in the league and you think we need only one player with some jam? We need 5 Roussels

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Love the guy but Boeser hasn’t taken the next step of development I thought he’d taken by now.

Maybe it’s the short injury riddled offseasons or the mistake of gaining muscle before the season. But he just hasn’t gotten better since his first season.

It’s the little plays that Boeser just doesn’t seem to care for. He purposely never is the first person to the puck when the puck is at the boards. It’s almost like he’s getting slower every season. The play consistently dies on his stick more than ever. It’s almost like he thinks he can slag on D cause he’s an offensive star. But he’s not even close to an offensive force as he thinks he is.

Right now he’s relying on his one attribute, and that’s his elite shot.

It’s a little worrisome for the team in the long run if Boeser doesn’t pan out as the elite top line winger everyone pegs him as being one. Or perhaps this just might be Boesers ceiling.. a very good one dimensional impromptu goal scorer
Sloppy take my guy. His passing and his instincts are constantly understated, by those who think he should somehow be doing better than what he brings? He made an important goal happen tonight with his IQ. Your worry is absolutely misplaced

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Lucky the opponent was the Senators, instead of the Caps, Pens or Oilers.....Canucks outshot 42-27 in their own building, and needed at least six or seven 10-bell saves from Demko to keep the gap at three goals.

I have not idea what it is, but this team just bleeds high-end scoring chances. I guess you take the two points and move on. But wow, this was a sloppy effort.

They need two or three practices where they focus on nothing more than zone exits and defensive zone coverage. Don't see how Green can put much of a positive spin on this game.

This doesn't make sense to me. They scored 4 goals in the first which naturally dictated how the rest of the game was played. They probably wouldn't have scored that many against those other teams. Scoring effects are a thing, especially when the other team keeps working, which the Sens clearly did. I'm not surprised at all it played out like that after the first, like pretty much every team in the league, the Senators out-attempt, out-shoot, out-chance and out-score the other team when they are trailing.

With the rest I agree. What does concern me however is the number of really really good scoring chances that the Canucks allow. They completely lose people in the middle of the ice all the time. I've thought this for a while, but the conviction is getting stronger that they need to shake up the coaching staff. Having two rookie coaches in the two most important coaching positions (Green and Baumgartner) was always risky, especially when both of them only had about 4 years of experience in the AHL. I think they're great coaches in many respects, but I'm not sure the tactical and strategical chops yet. The defense makes some mistakes, but the forward support is often pretty bad in covering the royal road, losing checks, and supporting the break-out and through the neutral zone.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I usually agree (and I'm sure score effects played a part), but they were poor, and outplayed overall in the last 2 periods (especially the 2nd).
They mailed it in. Not an excuse as they shouldn’t. But it’s Ottawa and the outcome was never in question

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sloppy take my guy. His passing and his instincts are constantly understated, by those who think he should somehow be doing better than what he brings? He made an important goal happen tonight with his IQ. Your worry is absolutely misplaced
Defense wins championships.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
anybody have the clip of what it appeared, boeser getting mad at miller all the way to the bench and on the bench after a play.

there was nothing reported on it, but several interviews with players afterwards that mentioned how theres been hostility while the team was losing

can't find it on twitter

Reactions: David71

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That was fun...
I skipped the second tho to maximize my enjoyment...
Much was had!

Love PVR ..

Happy that if we get any contribution from our depth scoring it equals a blowout... Or thereabouts...

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Oh for sure. It's just so stark to me the way he stood out every single shift last year, whereas he's been largely invisible in many of the games I've watched lately. Still tonight was his 100th game and he notched his 98th point. Not bad.

Boeser is the one I'm somewhat concerned with. Guy just looks like Vanek at times, floating around while randomly popping in the odd goal.
Some people get worse when they put on muscle.

Pettersson should focus on the things that makes him good.

This is the dreaded sophomore slump for him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Gotta love when Pettersson scoring at a 1.10 PPG pace is considered to be having a sophomore slump after a 0.92 PPG rookie campaign while stapled to a 5on5 slug in Boeser.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
Boeser needs to play with horvat! Keep miller with petterson for grit.

Boesers rookie season he was getting fed from horvat all day...

Star players have a big say in who they play with. So there's that. Unless the star is very much struggling, you won't see a change. He gets his best friend on the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad