Post-Game Talk: GM 29: Canucks def. Senators 5-2 on Burrows Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So grateful to have such a tremendous owner, this video really highlights that. We’re so lucky when you look at the owners we used to have and then looking around the league at other owners, we have great owners now who clearly love the team as much as we do and they definitely deserve a cup.
He's a 'great owner' if you happen to be an NHL hockey player. After all, name me another owner who spends to the salary cap max every year for such mediocre results?

So I guess he's a great owner for the players and their agents.....but if you're a tenant or a blueberry picker, not so much.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
That lineup feels.. not right.

Using your bodies, I would reshuffle to:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Roussel-Horvat-Virtanen
Pearson-Gaudette-Sutter
Ferland-Beagle-Leivo
I dunno about that. Horvat is left with two 3rd liners and i'd feel safer with Sutter as 3C rather than a sophomore due to the defensive responsibilities

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I dunno about that. Horvat is left with two 3rd liners and i'd feel safer with Sutter as 3C rather than a sophomore due to the defensive responsibilities

Switch Virtanen and Boeser.... Gaudette with Sutter....

I just didn't like the look of Gaudette on the top line AND Roussel on the 4th AND Virtanen and Ferland on his off wing... way too many people out of their ideal or common spots and usages..

But end of the day... Green has a tonne of options he'll be working through..

Reactions: Jimnastic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And the Senators were playing their 5th game in 7 or 8 nights as well. It was a lengthy road trip but it was also one with plenty of rest. No back to backs. a three day break between games 5 and 6. Prior to the Oiler back to back the last one of those was before the 4 game home stand. Ottawa in that time frame had 3 (and complete a 4th tonight). People need to stop using scheduling etc as excuses. Every team has scheduling issues...they may be different ones but they have issues.

Of course there are better spots to criticize the D than last night. That doesn't mean the D is without criticism...

And I wouldn't go so far as to say they were just fine defensively in the first either.
Senators played on Saturday night in Calgary...probably flew here after the game...and had two days off in Vancouver

Canucks had a two day break between games 5 and 6...flying back two time zones for a double header...(after playing 5 away games in 9 nights).

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me, or has MacEwen really picked up the pace in the last couple of games? He's actually taking the puck wide now, and busting for the net. I'd love for the guy to receive a most extensive audition from the Canucks, but of course it ain't going to happen.

Selfishly, I'd like to see the Canucks roll the dice with young guys like MacEwen, Gaudette and even Goldy in the lineup; instead of veteran, overpaid sloggers like Eriksson, Beagle, Schaller, and the oft-injured Sutter. And I understand that would mean parking close to $15m a season in cap space. Now that would be ugly for the GM!.

But of course with Green probably coaching for his next contract, going younger just doesn't seem possible. But I really believe the Canucks would be better off later in the season, if they did.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I love Roussel, glad he's back.. Just gives it all every shift. I think he can make a difference here. Waiting on Ferland now. A Canucks line-up with Ferland and Roussel would give a boost to our chances for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Senators played on Saturday night in Calgary...probably flew here after the game...and had two days off in Vancouver

Canucks had a two day break between games 5 and 6...flying back two time zones for a double header...(after playing 5 away games in 9 nights).

yes I get it. The Canucks always have a hard schedule. It’s never the team and other teams never have hard schedules or their own travel issues.

the fact is as far as 6 game road trips go that was as easy as they get. Preceding it they had a 4 game home stand with no back to backs. They had time to fly into Dallas early to start the trip. They had no back to backs and a larger break between games 5 and 6 (also the break between games was ~72 hours which is 3 days..2 days off in between games means three full days between games). They weren’t really jumping around time zones..it progressed logically with good rest between games such that jet lag effects were absolutely minimal. Funny how other teams like, say, Dallas had no problem sweeping the three most western Canadian teams in a 3 game in 4 night set. That shouldn’t even be possible!

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Score effects are real. However, I think it's important to understand what a typical score effect is. That's when a team in the lead goes into a defensive shell so that the opposition gains a natural edge in possession. That edge in possession, though, need not lead to an imbalance of scoring chances because the team in the lead is simply looking to keep things to the outside, clog up the neutral zone and looking to catch a pressing opposition out of position on a counter attack.

You may get outshot but you aren't actually getting outchanced. Getting simply outshot will lead to more goals against as the more shots the more chances for someone to make a mistake. A non-chance that can lead to the twine bulging...goalies get tired when they have to be in a ready stance for extended periods of zone pressure for example.

Getting significantly outchanced isn't really a score effect...it's poor defense. And that was especially the case in the second.

A team making a tactical decision to go into a defensive shell is not the only cause of scoring effects. It also happens because of effort level and the subconscious relaxation when people feel more comfortable, or urgency when they are playing catch up. People work very hard to counter this and some are better than others, but in a team of 18 it's a lot harder to do even if they are professionals. Psychology is a very important aspect of life and sport but hard to quantify. Green said as much in his cliche hockey speak after the game, when players take their foot off the gas and are a half step behind it makes a big difference in the NHL.

BTW, the Senators are out-chancing (including HDC) teams when they are behind this season. So they're not just outshooting teams. The Sens may be bad in the NHL, but margins are so thin in a capped league.

On the last point we agree as I stated in my post, the canucks defense is a mess in their own end. They look panicky and lost in the their own zone too often, they don't play with sound structure.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Lines at practice this morning...

Pearson-Horvat-Leivo
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Roussel-Gaudette/SutterVirtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Ferland/MacEwen
Eriksson
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Tanev
Fantenberg-Stecher
Chatfield