GDT: GM 28 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Carolina Hurricanes | Dec 9 | 7:00PM PST | CBC/SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
what are these guys like superheroes or bank robbers or something when they're hurt.. jesus

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Win one, lose one.
This is the "lose one"

Demko could get tired they like shooting lot of pucks at the net and Vancouver forwards are playing a lot in their own zone.

The Canuck forecheck has to get better timing, not much sense dumping it in when there is no others around to retrieve the puck, better to regroup and then time it.

Carolina has crappy goal tending so another 30% scoring percentage could be possible

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
i see it kinda like how barry trotz talked to ovechkin (do what you want with the puck in the ozone, but when you don't have the puck do what i say)

do you think what you just said in your first sentence is unreasonable though? board play, forechecking? i will add work ethic, blueline play, and playing forward

these are not unreasonable things to expect from your roster, whether you're a playmaker or a grinder
What made Tocchet a valuable player back then would make him a convict today.
Meaning he was noted as a dirty player. Really dirty.

I think board play is great for the right players, some it would be a waste of the air they breathe.
All players have what you described it doesn't take a coach to teach those things.
Just about every player on this team were at some point the best on past teams.

Two opposite teams, the Bruins and Edmonton are successful but have different methods.

I don't mind Tocchet but as he talks more and starts benching players more and throws players under the bus more, the less respect he gets from me.

IMO he can only coach what he has but raging on a player because he can't play ONE certain way is him not doing HIS job. Which is to maximize the players he does have.

Right now he has an essentially 40 goal scorer trying to be a 8 goal grunt.

At that I am not even sure all this Kuz crap isn't to turn public opinion so they can trade him because they couldn't complete the trade request of Garland and Boeser in the summer because nobody wanted them without sweeteners where as Kuzmenko would get just about anything. "SEE WE CAN WIN WITHOUT THAT LOSER" So don't miss him.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
What made Tocchet a valuable player back then would make him a convict today.
Meaning he was noted as a dirty player. Really dirty.

I think board play is great for the right players, some it would be a waste of the air they breathe.
All players have what you described it doesn't take a coach to teach those things.
Just about every player on this team were at some point the best on past teams.

Two opposite teams, the Bruins and Edmonton are successful but have different methods.

I don't mind Tocchet but as he talks more and starts benching players more and throws players under the bus more, the less respect he gets from me.

IMO he can only coach what he has but raging on a player because he can't play ONE certain way is him not doing HIS job. Which is to maximize the players he does have.

Right now he has an essentially 40 goal scorer trying to be a 8 goal grunt.

At that I am not even sure all this Kuz crap isn't to turn public opinion so they can trade him because they couldn't complete the trade request of Garland and Boeser in the summer because nobody wanted them without sweeteners where as Kuzmenko would get just about anything. "SEE WE CAN WIN WITHOUT THAT LOSER" So don't miss him.
Too many different directions here.. but to comment on one thing

Regardless of position, everyone has board play at some point. A player looking at it as a waste of air or whatever - that is not the identity of what our coach wants. He wants simple things

This is where accountability comes in, people go on about if X scores from 4th line but Y isnt from 2nd line hold Y accountable and demote - it has nothing to do with that. I am fairly confident tocchet couldnt give two shita if aomeone geta 100 pts or 10 points its how they play - and we need to get used to this type of hockey cause it aint changing anytime soon

He wants simple things - work ethic, forecheck, pace and walls for example.. things that every player is capable of unless they choose not to.

One last note actually, these are grown men, paid pros top of their field. While communication is important, at the end of the day still adults, not children.. not 18 yr olds.

I dont think anything tocchet has said has been unprofessional or out of turn - if the media would start thinking and asking questions with a bit more depth maybe he doesnt need to answer like he did

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hoping for a bounce back game from Demko here. He's been amazing this year, but his last start against NJ was a bit rough.

Also just hoping for some signs of life from Petey.

Reactions: Vector

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Too many different directions here.. but to comment on one thing

Regardless of position, everyone has board play at some point. A player looking at it as a waste of air or whatever - that is not the identity of what our coach wants. He wants simple things

This is where accountability comes in, people go on about if X scores from 4th line but Y isnt from 2nd line hold Y accountable and demote - it has nothing to do with that. I am fairly confident tocchet couldnt give two shita if aomeone geta 100 pts or 10 points its how they play - and we need to get used to this type of hockey cause it aint changing anytime soon

He wants simple things - work ethic, forecheck, pace and walls for example.. things that every player is capable of unless they choose not to.

One last note actually, these are grown men, paid pros top of their field. While communication is important, at the end of the day still adults, not children.. not 18 yr olds.

I dont think anything tocchet has said has been unprofessional or out of turn - if the media would start thinking and asking questions with a bit more depth maybe he doesnt need to answer like he did
There is definitely disagreement here.
Tortorella, Babcock, AV, Maurice, Hynes, Quenville, Peters, Sutter were all known to throw players under the bus, all had some success but only 3 still have a job and don't do that hardly ever.

There is nothing wrong with a strong work ethic but sometime there can be wasting effort for no result.

Maybe Hughes should be benched for poor board work? Just a really bad example but he has to care, no win, no job.

Communication in Tocchet playing days consisted of, "I talk, you listen" and if you didn't like it you were gone, often out of the league.

All I have been trying to say is Tocchet IMHO could be better and I can't see, watching the game, where Kuzmenko's failure is, what he has done that half the forwards aren't doing either.

I still think it has more to do with setting up for a trade.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
There is definitely disagreement here.
Tortorella, Babcock, AV, Maurice, Hynes, Quenville, Peters, Sutter were all known to throw players under the bus, all had some success but only 3 still have a job and don't do that hardly ever.

There is nothing wrong with a strong work ethic but sometime there can be wasting effort for no result.

Maybe Hughes should be benched for poor board work? Just a really bad example but he has to care, no win, no job.

Communication in Tocchet playing days consisted of, "I talk, you listen" and if you didn't like it you were gone, often out of the league.

All I have been trying to say is Tocchet IMHO could be better and I can't see, watching the game, where Kuzmenko's failure is, what he has done that half the forwards aren't doing either.

I still think it has more to do with setting up for a trade.
You are talking as if the other side is expecting the player the take the puck, race to the boards, wait for the pile and engage in a battle coming out on top

Kuzmenko has moments where he is piss poor at the bluelines with decision making and he has trouble playing an angle on forechecking, and his feet stop moving

Next game watch players feet more than normal

Reactions: theguardianII

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

That should be practice #2 for Suter. That should put him in line to return against the Panthers next Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad