GDT: GM 28 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Carolina Hurricanes | Dec 9 | 7:00PM PST | CBC/SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
giphy.gif

This is basically the example I used when talk to my wife.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I’d start Demko but I’d probably give DeSmith the next start after. He’s earned it

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
regardless of 'types' of players they should all be able to play a system
once this stuff becomes innate traits can flow more freely
Sometimes there is just no way for a player to play like others. Would anyone expect Crosby to play like Reeves? OR Stamkos to be as good as Hedman on defence?

Garland tries but gets bounced or pushed off the puck trying to do board battles, he might be more effective in a puck possession role in the offensive zone.

And your right about systems, I have said in interviews that anyone can teach 5 cones to play defence.
I understand the best place to play defence is in the offensive zone, this works if there is a good enough mix of skill and truculence with a couple of dynamic defencemen.

Even in the dZone a 4+1 system, a little like the Wisconsin system, can be very effective. Gretzky used to be good at it actually. One player plays high checking both dmen and the rest out man those down low, each forward takes one other and plays one on one the two defence play on whomever has the puck so there is always a out man advantage. The idea is to force the shot from the point of our team's choice and as soon as it looks like there will be possession the high guy breaks between both of their dmen drawing them off. This allows for, usually one of the dmen, a free zone to skate through with an outlet pass to the high guy.

In the offence zone again it is a 3+1 offence with at least two passes from one side on the boards behind the net. This commonly draws attention to the puck, the defence players down lower opening up a corridor to the net by our dman.

There is also what I used to call cutthroat shift management, like 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 2, 3, 2, 4, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1, 4, 2, 3. It makes line matching very hard and supplements a team with an overall lower skill level. Shifts are very fast 45 secs. The other small idea is using the shift change, skate as fast for a shift change as when going to the ice and use the closest exit point and the player going on the ice gets on closest to the other team's goal or backchecking. Also defence are changed with the closest first regardless of side, then a switch of position and change. If LD is farthest away then the RD changes, the new LD goes on and changes sides with the tired LD then the RD goes on. There is a modified method for forwards.

The coaches have to keep track and tell the players who, where and when or at least remind them as the coaches will be keeping track of the changes.

There is more but my coaching requires teaching the assistants as well as the players. Video is used to see if mistakes are chronic and need to be addressed with players one on one. Or that line needs to play a different way offensively or defensively.

There is more. But just saying.

Oh and one other small tidbit, talk TO players not AT them. It is a game of mistakes, they happen. But knowing what your team is going to do speeds up the game, skate onto the puck, pass to a zone/area.

Last edited:
Reactions: jd22

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don’t know why but it always took me an extra second to processed the fact that Suter and Blueger are two different people and that Suter is signed through next season while Blueger is an UFA

I guess in my mind, all the hot European bottom 6 centres are all the same. (No homo)

It doesn’t help that they have not yet dressed up for the Canucks at the same time

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Sometimes there is just no way for a player to play others. Would anyone expect Crosby to play like Reeves? OR Stamkos to be as good as Hedman on defence?

Garland tries but gets bounced or pushed off the puck trying to do board battles, he might be more effective in a puck possession role in the offensive zone.

And your right about systems, I have said in interviews that anyone can teach 5 cones to play defence.
I understand the best place to play defence is in the offensive zone, this works if there is a good enough mix of skill and truculence with a couple of dynamic defencemen.

Even in the dZone a 4+1 system, a little like the Wisconsin system, can be very effective. Gretzky used to be good at it actually. One player plays high checking both dmen and the rest out man those down low, each forward takes one other and plays one on one the two defence play on whomever has the puck so there is always a out man advantage. The idea is to force the shot from the point of our team's choice and as soon as it looks like there will be possession the high guy breaks between both of their dmen drawing them off. This allows for, usually one of the dmen, a free zone to skate through with an outlet pass to the high guy.

In the offence zone again it is a 3+1 offence with at least two passes from on side on the boards behind the net. This commonly draws attention to the puck, the defence players down lower opening up a corridor to the net by our dman.

There is also what I used to call cutthroat shift management, like 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 2, 3, 2, 4, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1, 4, 2, 3. It makes line matching very hard and supplements a team with an overall lower skill level. Shifts are very fast 45 secs. The other small idea is using the shift change, skate as fast for a shift change as when going to the ice and use the closest exit point and the player going on the ice gets on closest to the other team's goal or backchecking. Also defence are change with the closest first regardless of side, then a switch of position and change. If LD is farthest away then the RD changes, the new goes on and changes sides with the tired LD then the RD goes on. There is a modified method for forwards.

The coaches have to keep track and tell the players who, where and when or at least remind them as the coaches will be keeping track of the changes.

There is more but my coaching requires teaching the assistants as well as the players. Video is used to see if mistakes are chronic and need to be addressed with players one on one. Or that line needs to play a different way offensively or defensively.

There is more. But just saying.

Oh and one other small tidbit, talk TO players not AT them.
I am assuming your first sentence was in jest - i hope so anyway

the rest of it, i'm not sure what you're trying to say, if only just to say that there are multiple layers upon multiple layers of coaching/developing/deploying players and that communication is vital as a two way street.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Canes are kind of like the opposite of us. They always dominate possession and shot totals but they’re terrible at finishing and goaltending. We on the other hand are very mid at controlling possession but have elite finishers and goaltending.

I find these two teams to be “mould breakers” for the analytics community. The Canes should be darlings but they can’t win because even if they generate 10 amazing scoring chances they only score on 2 of them. Whereas we might only generate 8 high danger chances but score on 3 of them. Analytics would say we’re “unsustainable” and the Canes are due for a breakout. But it doesn’t take into account the fact that giving up a high danger chance to the likes of Aho, Necas, Teravainen, Jarvis, Bunting, and Kotkaniemi isn’t the same as giving up a high danger chance to Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Boeser, Hronek, and Kuzmenko. This is one major flaw with analytics. If Mikheyev gets a breakaway it’s the same as if McDavid gets a breakaway, according to analytics.

And then there’s the goaltending, which also boosts something like PDO (or lowers it in the Canes case). I will again say something similar to what I said above: analytics doesn’t take into account that allowing scoring chances with Antti Raanta in net (even if you allow fewer of them) isn’t the same as giving up scoring chances with Thatcher Demko in net.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I am assuming your first sentence was in jest - i hope so anyway

the rest of it, i'm not sure what you're trying to say, if only just to say that there are multiple layers upon multiple layers of coaching/developing/deploying players and that communication is vital as a two way street.
Just Tocchet see's his type of player every morning in the mirror. Boards guys, Forechecking, 1,2,3,
Why is one player being crucified when there are 18 on the ice?

Tocchet has made it clear what HE wants as far as a player, I don't disagree entirely but there are more games going on than just on the ice.

I think Kuz is going to be traded because he is the easiest that is why he is the scape goat just about all the time.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Just Tocchet see's his type of player every morning in the mirror. Boards guys, Forechecking, 1,2,3,
Why is one player being crucified when there are 18 on the ice?

Tocchet has made it clear what HE wants as far as a player, I don't disagree entirely but there are more games going on than just on the ice.

I think Kuz is going to be traded because he is the easiest that is why he is the scape goat just about all the time.
i see it kinda like how barry trotz talked to ovechkin (do what you want with the puck in the ozone, but when you don't have the puck do what i say)

do you think what you just said in your first sentence is unreasonable though? board play, forechecking? i will add work ethic, blueline play, and playing forward

these are not unreasonable things to expect from your roster, whether you're a playmaker or a grinder

Reactions: theguardianII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The rumor with Suter was maybe concussion, so that kind of makes sense with him being cleared and jumping back fully. I assume Karlsson got sent down.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The rumor with Suter was maybe concussion, so that kind of makes sense with him being cleared and jumping back fully. I assume Karlsson got sent down.

Batchelor followed up and said Karlsson is also an extra at practice.

Reactions: m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I thought Juulsen had one of his better games as a Canuck against the Wild..Had 5 hits (good solid hits) ..kept his game simple, and did some good spade work assisting on Blueger's goal.

At least a step in the right direction.

Reactions: cc, MS and Grantham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad