Post-Game Talk: [GM 26] Vancouver Canucks defeat Montreal Canadiens | 7-6 | Garland, Mikheyev(2), Horvat, Studnicka, Kuzmenko, & Pettersson

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Geez - what a great game to be a fan at. From gut wrenching despair to unbridled jubilation. I think you can say officially that this game was loosely played but a lot more fun than those lifeless defensive grinds. Would say the game illustrated the essential Canuck team 2022 - 2023. Exciting offense - leaky defense.

Good

Pettersson - is becoming everything we thought he could be. Somehow turning Mikheylev into a scorer. Garland started the turnaround but Pettersson definitely finished it.

Kuzmenko - like how matter of fact he was about scoring the tying goal. Like he was sayiing -"So you were expecting something else?" Was a bull along the boards in the second half of that game.

Garland - got the team off the mat with his hustle. Hopefully he can get back to playing the way he can after going through a real slump.

Studnicka - not just the goal but also the hustle. Better skater than I figured. Canucks are going to have to make some choices on the 4th line when Joshua returns.

Mikheylev - can we hope he is finally developing his touch? Put away his chances nicely in this one. If he ever starts showing better around the net and establishes a connection with Pettersson this player has enough other attributes to become a significant offensive force.

Bad

Miller - he always seems to come up with something - like the pass on the 6th goal. But his sloppy passing , especially on the PP, was more than evident in this one. One of the most Jekyll and Hyde players in the League. Has you pulling your hair out at times. Sometimes wonder if his head is in the game. Maybe he characterizes the whole team. Just don't know what you are going to get from him or the team.

Martin - maybe the weight of knowing it's own him was telling in this one. Worst game as Canuck. Was letting shots eat him up.

Stillman/Myers - there are times when you're not far off thinking this is the worst combo in the League. Got a little better as the game went on but they were horrid in the first. Spent long periods on the ice b/c they couldn't get the puck out and had to keep icing it. Kind of had your heart in your mouth every time you saw them lumber over the boards. (bizarre Stillman came out of this one a +3)

Hughes - forcing play far too much. Needs to play with more composure and adjust play to the situation. Late, with the team ahead, he needs to maintain good defensive spacing and keep play in front of him. Needs to simplify his game when the situation calls for it. Still some immaturity in his play. Had a tough game in his end.

Others

Boeser - little better. Moving without the puck better and showing a little more speed. However, still has tendency to go to sleep defensively, as on the 5th Montreal goal. Had to switch off to take man taking the puck to the slot, but instead lazily drifts into circle not recognizing the danger. Player has so many bad habits. If he is scoring maybe you can over look that (as has been done through much of his career) but when he isn't then he is only hurting you. Some steps in the right direction and made some good passes but if you can trade him you do. If for nothing else to keep Kuz.

Delia - thought he looked more lucky than good. However did make some important saves. Must have good feeling about things driving home. Back in the League and gets a win - who cares how.

Have to suspend your concern for the long term future and just enjoy games like this. Thought was insightful when Shorthouse brought up the idea of fans back in Montreal going to bed mid way through the second and waking up and checking the scores in the morning. That's one type of brutal discovery we don't have to endure. Still, the Canucks can supply us with enough other nasty experiences. Tonight, however, wasn't one of them.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Didnt turn game on.
Saw was 0-4 kept it off.
Saw 4-4 in 3rd turned on.
6-5 montreal turned it off.
6-6 turned it on.

Just an exhausting team.
We are barely beating the Arizonas and Montreals... Yikes... These have been the least confidence inducing two wins I can remember...

Kuzmenko being able to produce on the 3rd line is fantastic. His trade value should be sky high.
Elias Pettersson is really f***in good.
The wheels came flying off the Spencer Martin train... I expected it to happen but not this soon and not this spectacularly.
I'm really warming up to Studnika. The effort on that goal to break up the pass and then the patience and hands to score.
Yup

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
That play where Hogs ate the goalie stick, was probably the fastest I've seen a Canuck skate in 10 years.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
We are barely beating the Arizonas and Montreals... Yikes... These have been the least confidence inducing two wins I can remember...

Kuzmenko being able to produce on the 3rd line is fantastic. His trade value should be sky high.
Elias Pettersson is really f***in good.
The wheels came flying off the Spencer Martin train... I expected it to happen but not this soon and not this spectacularly.
I'm really warming up to Studnika. The effort on that goal to break up the pass and then the patience and hands to score.
Beat them still nhl teams ?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Omg.. saw a score update of 0-4 and decided to skip the game to MNF... Then watch some YouTube videos..

Then buddy messages a group on WhatsApp and says.. It's Not Over!! And posts a 4-4 scoreboard pic from the game... So boom.. go to the PVR and back to watch it all unravel for the Habs beginning near the end of the 2nd... And wow..

Couldn't imagine sitting thru all 61 mins.. the emotions, lol...
I had at least the luxury of seeing 0-4 and then checking out till 4-4...

Posted at 5-6 that it was so Canucks to come all the way back from 4-0 to take the lead just so they can say they blew another lead... But.. nope... Great entertainment!

2 points banked...
Lol did much same )

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
We need to end the Dries experiment. He's just not cutting it and is a liability in his own zone. With the encouraging play of Studnicka, it might be reasonable to give him another shot at centre. He's certainly more defensively responsible than Dries. Maybe send him down and bring up Lockwood who's continued to play well in the AHL to slide in on the 4th line until Joshua is healthy. He has elements in his game this team sorely needs, namely speed and effort.

Hoglander-Horvat-Miller
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Boeser
Garland-Studnicka-Kuzmenko
Lockwood/Joshua-Aman-Lazar

Also would be nice to get Dermott back soon so we can stop having to suffer through Stillman. Dermott may not be much, but he's an established bottom pairing defensemen who can transition the puck out of his end.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Canucks need to develop a hive mind so they can bring order to chaos, though through all the chaos and disorder, the Canucks are 7-3-0 in their last 10.

Unfortunately, they only have a +3 goal differential in those 10 games (38GF vs 35GA).

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
wow

The hopelessness of the big picture ..ownership...management...cap....prospects...has finally got to me after many years and i am feeling a significant amount of apathy...which means for the first time i can take or leave watching Canuck games this year....I was watching MNF and the turned on the game for a bit....at 4-0 in the 2nd i thought MEH ...I am not investing my time in watching this and turned to watch a show on Netflix

Later on went to look at the final score to see if Canucks scored a goal, maybe Horvat ...and couldnt believe it when i saw the score! WTF lol

Reactions: CanuckCity

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
We need to end the Dries experiment. He's just not cutting it and is a liability in his own zone. With the encouraging play of Studnicka, it might be reasonable to give him another shot at centre. He's certainly more defensively responsible than Dries. Maybe send him down and bring up Lockwood who's continued to play well in the AHL to slide in on the 4th line until Joshua is healthy. He has elements in his game this team sorely needs, namely speed and effort.

Hoglander-Horvat-Miller
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Boeser
Garland-Studnicka-Kuzmenko
Lockwood/Joshua-Aman-Lazar

Also would be nice to get Dermott back soon so we can stop having to suffer through Stillman. Dermott may not be much, but he's an established bottom pairing defensemen who can transition the puck out of his end.
It's funny how years ago we all pined for halfway decent AHL centres for the farm and now if Dries does get sent down the Abby Canucks would have

Dries
Pederson
Dowling

among several others but those are 3 legit top line centres at the AHL level right there.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Geez - what a great game to be a fan at. From gut wrenching despair to unbridled jubilation. I think you can say officially that this game was loosely played but a lot more fun than those lifeless defensive grinds. Would say the game illustrated the essential Canuck team 2022 - 2023. Exciting offense - leaky defense.

Good

Pettersson - is becoming everything we thought he could be. Somehow turning Mikheylev into a scorer. Garland started the turnaround but Pettersson definitely finished it.

Kuzmenko - like how matter of fact he was about scoring the tying goal. Like he was sayiing -"So you were expecting something else?" Was a bull along the boards in the second half of that game.

Garland - got the team off the mat with his hustle. Hopefully he can get back to playing the way he can after going through a real slump.

Studnicka - not just the goal but also the hustle. Better skater than I figured. Canucks are going to have to make some choices on the 4th line when Joshua returns.

Mikheylev - can we hope he is finally developing his touch? Put away his chances nicely in this one. If he ever starts showing better around the net and establishes a connection with Pettersson this player has enough other attributes to become a significant offensive force.

Bad

Miller - he always seems to come up with something - like the pass on the 6th goal. But his sloppy passing , especially on the PP, was more than evident in this one. One of the most Jekyll and Hyde players in the League. Has you pulling your hair out at times. Sometimes wonder if his head is in the game. Maybe he characterizes the whole team. Just don't know what you are going to get from him or the team.

Martin - maybe the weight of knowing it's own him was telling in this one. Worst game as Canuck. Was letting shots eat him up.

Stillman/Myers - there are times when you're not far off thinking this is the worst combo in the League. Got a little better as the game went on but they were horrid in the first. Spent long periods on the ice b/c they couldn't get the puck out and had to keep icing it. Kind of had your heart in your mouth every time you saw them lumber over the boards. (bizarre Stillman came out of this one a +3)

Hughes - forcing play far too much. Needs to play with more composure and adjust play to the situation. Late, with the team ahead, he needs to maintain good defensive spacing and keep play in front of him. Needs to simplify his game when the situation calls for it. Still some immaturity in his play. Had a tough game in his end.

Others

Boeser - little better. Moving without the puck better and showing a little more speed. However, still has tendency to go to sleep defensively, as on the 5th Montreal goal. Had to switch off to take man taking the puck to the slot, but instead lazily drifts into circle not recognizing the danger. Player has so many bad habits. If he is scoring maybe you can over look that (as has been done through much of his career) but when he isn't then he is only hurting you. Some steps in the right direction and made some good passes but if you can trade him you do. If for nothing else to keep Kuz.

Delia - thought he looked more lucky than good. However did make some important saves. Must have good feeling about things driving home. Back in the League and gets a win - who cares how.

Have to suspend your concern for the long term future and just enjoy games like this. Thought was insightful when Shorthouse brought up the idea of fans back in Montreal going to bed mid way through the second and waking up and checking the scores in the morning. That's one type of brutal discovery we don't have to endure. Still, the Canucks can supply us with enough other nasty experiences. Tonight, however, wasn't one of them.
Orcatown I always enjoy your game and individual player recaps

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Even if Horvat cools down, guys like Hoglander and the Dmen are gonna start inevitably burying chances. The goals may just continue.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Entertaining, fun win, but you can't help but feel pulled back down to earth when you realize how flawed the win was, and how flawed the team still is. We can't be successful long term like this. Granted, a lot of is goaltending. Face it. We're so used to goaltending being the LAST of the team's concerns but this season it actually is a huge contributor to the their woes. The D is bad but it's not as bad as our goals against makes it look.

Still, a very flawed roster that can score like nobody's business but isn't good at much else. Reminds me of the Florida Panthers of the last few seasons.

Think of the haul management could bring in if they sold all of Miller, Horvat and Boeser. The owner would never allow it though, especially with these players individually doing so well. Which is of course why they're such great sell high candidates. They need to build around Pettersson and the rest of the supporting cast who do the little things well, the things that help teams win in the long run.

Reactions: quat

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
THANK YOU !
NO, THANK YOU!!!!!

Entertaining, fun win, but you can't help but feel pulled back down to earth when you realize how flawed the win was, and how flawed the team still is. We can't be successful long term like this. Granted, a lot of is goaltending. Face it. We're so used to goaltending being the LAST of the team's concerns but this season it actually is a huge contributor to the their woes. The D is bad but it's not as bad as our goals against makes it look.

Still, a very flawed roster that can score like nobody's business but isn't good at much else. Reminds me of the Florida Panthers of the last few seasons.

Think of the haul management could bring in if they sold all of Miller, Horvat and Boeser. The owner would never allow it though, especially with these players individually doing so well. Which is of course why they're such great sell high candidates. They need to build around Pettersson and the rest of the supporting cast who do the little things well, the things that help teams win in the long run.
Didn’t Tampa have a win like this against San Jose one of the years they won a cup?

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Oh and by the way, Pettersson is 6th in the league in even strength points. On top of everything else I love that stat. Makes him even more of a beast.

Only 9 PP points for him so far, and 1 shorthanded, for 32 points on the year.

NO, THANK YOU!!!!!

Didn’t Tampa have a win like this against San Jose one of the years they won a cup?
Sure they did. All teams have games like this, but Tampa had proven they could defend and play winning hockey.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Sure they did. All teams have games like this, but Tampa had proven they could defend and play winning hockey.
That’s fair.

Anywho, it‘s nice to see our young talent producing instead of regressing. Even if we have major holes on our roster

Reactions: Jay26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad