GDT: GM#23 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30pm 11/25/18

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
They were out of the black hole without Kovalchuk last year. It stands to reason that he'd help, and that's really not that crazy.

You're trying too hard to be 'right' here. Everyone without an agenda can see his misuse and mistreatment. You're of course correct that his play isn't making a difference this year, but the criticisms aren't about Kovy himself.
The Kings were firmly in the black hole last season. Losing in the 1st round or finishing 9th - 12th in the Western Conference and missing the playoffs is the definition of the black hole, and is exactly where the Kings have been up until this season since 2014.

Everyone without an agenda? No, I just had an opinion. I said when they signed Kovalchuk it was a desperate move, and it isn't working out.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Probably for the same reason he was benched or a healthy scratch almost everywhere he played: because he is an amazing talent but an entitled punk.

Had to be cuddled since being drafted by the Thrashers. You'd think it was him being imature but he was benched in NJ, and then a healthy scratch as a veteran. Culture problem? Nope, he was a healthy scratch in the KHL in 2016 for several games and stripped of his captaincy.

This isn't Desjardins. Kovalchuk is garbage and locker room poison.
Vlad!!!!

thanks for the perspective. haven't read this about him.

also, how goes it with you?

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
tenor.gif

Reactions: Reaper45

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Vlad!!!!

thanks for the perspective. haven't read this about him.

also, how goes it with you?

You're welcome old friend! I was always impressed by Kovalchuk's talent and figured he might change but I can't say I'm surprised by the turn of events. I understand the healthy skepticism that some Kings fans have from the outside, and I'm sure they have good reasons to question several other organizational and coaching decisions. It may be tempting to lump the treatment of Kovalchuk along with other more perceptible questionable decisions. But rest assured, when a player of this stature is chastised this often, under so many different coaches, in entirely different organizations, at different points of his life/career and even in entirely different leagues and countries... well, that player is the problem. No coach wants to sit an elite player and no organization likes to waste tons of money. Of course, we rarely get to hear the real reasons behind such mess so it's quite frustrating for the person on the outside.

I'm well, alive and kicking BTW! Thanks for asking! I hope all is good with you?

Reactions: Kings man 4 life

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You're welcome old friend! I was always impressed by Kovalchuk's talent and figured he might change but I can't say I'm surprised by the turn of events. I understand the healthy skepticism that some Kings fans have from the outside, and I'm sure they have good reasons to question several other organizational and coaching decisions. It may be tempting to lump the treatment of Kovalchuk along with other more perceptible questionable decisions. But rest assured, when a player of this stature is chastised this often, under so many different coaches, in entirely different organizations, at different points of his life/career and even in entirely different leagues and countries... well, that player is the problem. No coach wants to sit an elite player and no organization likes to waste tons of money. Of course, we rarely get to hear the real reasons behind such mess so it's quite frustrating for the person on the outside.

I'm well, alive and kicking BTW! Thanks for asking! I hope all is good with you?
Maybe Blake and Robitaille should be impaled for signing Kovalchuk. There is a reason Dean Lombardi didn't want him.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Maybe Blake and Robitaille should be impaled for signing Kovalchuk. There is a reason Dean Lombardi didn't want him.

Well, you said it above, it was probably desperation.

I personally don't think signing him was that huge mistake. I mean, it's a gamble but I certainly didn't expect the Kings to have that much trouble. But securing him for three years at this age is completely irrational. Considering that the NHL has stingy rules concerning contracts for 35 years old, considering Kovalchuk's long history as headcase AND the fact he already abandoned an NHL team once... why the hell would any franchise sign him for more than a year?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings were firmly in the black hole last season. Losing in the 1st round or finishing 9th - 12th in the Western Conference and missing the playoffs is the definition of the black hole, and is exactly where the Kings have been up until this season since 2014.

Everyone without an agenda? No, I just had an opinion. I said when they signed Kovalchuk it was a desperate move, and it isn't working out.

So all but the top 4 in the conference are in the black hole? That's a hell of a moving goalpost. I guess we'll just have to disagree that a near-1oo point playoff team with a Hart and Norris finalist is a black hole team.

You can say signing him was a mistake, but you're trying really hard to pretend not to understand the "why" behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad