GDT: GM#23 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30pm 11/25/18

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Desjardins has no confidence in Kovalchuk. I don't think it's anything more than that. He is a typical head coach, with a short term/current game mindset, and wants guys that play defense. If Kovalchuk is going to be soft, he's clearly not going to play any meaningful minutes. Kopitar gets the benefit of the doubt. Carter gets the benefit of the doubt. It's going to be a problem, because either Kovalchuk or Desjardins is going to have to bend. If neither guy does, Desjardins controls who gets on the ice. I doubt anyone wants Blake or Robitaille telling him who to play, so, it is what it is.

They're still 31st.

3rd in the Pacific is still on pace for 82 points, so to hit that number, the Kings only have to hit 65 points in their remaining 59 games. Even Dallas is only on pace for 89 points for the 2nd wild card. Unless someone in the Pacific starts wanting that spot, the Kings are sadly still in the race. But only if they put together more than 1 out of every 5 games that are decent. Plenty of road to travel before they're even out of dead last.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Desjardins has no confidence in Kovalchuk. I don't think it's anything more than that. He is a typical head coach, with a short term/current game mindset, and wants guys that play defense. If Kovalchuk is going to be soft, he's clearly not going to play any meaningful minutes. Kopitar gets the benefit of the doubt. Carter gets the benefit of the doubt. It's going to be a problem, because either Kovalchuk or Desjardins is going to have to bend. If neither guy does, Desjardins controls who gets on the ice. I doubt anyone wants Blake or Robitaille telling him who to play, so, it is what it is.

They're still 31st.

3rd in the Pacific is still on pace for 82 points, so to hit that number, the Kings only have to hit 65 points in their remaining 59 games. Even Dallas is only on pace for 89 points for the 2nd wild card. Unless someone in the Pacific starts wanting that spot, the Kings are sadly still in the race. But only if they put together more than 1 out of every 5 games that are decent. Plenty of road to travel before they're even out of dead last.

The Tank is still safe for now.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
What is Fox targeting with this bullsh*t.. 12 yr old girls? mani pedis. some scrub getting mic'd up. Why are they pushing this guy down our throat.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
So why doesn't he bench the other vets that have been sucking all season long?

I understand where this approach is going - he doesn't play when everyone else plays well, but when everyone else is playing poorly he'll play and shoulder the blame.

Less than 7 minutes is f***ing outrageous, don't even bother playing him. No one believes this BS excuse.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
it is pretty clear that kovalchuk doesnt mesh with the team. he is too creative to play with anyone on the kings and as such cant generate any chemistry. still, playing him six minutes per night isnt going to help his trade value. brown and kopitar basically won this game by themselves tonight. carter was particularly hot garbage

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
it is pretty clear that kovalchuk doesnt mesh with the team. he is too creative to play with anyone on the kings and as such cant generate any chemistry. still, playing him six minutes per night isnt going to help his trade value. brown and kopitar basically won this game by themselves tonight. carter was particularly hot garbage
Excellent assessment.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I posted this earlier on the main board.

Screenshot_20181125-215956_Twitter.jpg
Kovalchuk was PPG before WD.

Scapegoating him at this point to the tune of not even using him on PPs is flat out insulting.

Something ****ing stinks behind the scenes.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
im not a fan of what is happening right now with this kings team and i dont know who the problem is. kovalchuk? mayor seems to think not. desjardins? possibly. management? why, they signed him. leadership? maybe... kovalchuk hasnt played with kopitar or brown at all, even though that seems like a hell of a line. are we protecting iafallo for some reason?

Reactions: deaderhead28

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
WD is a fricken moron! Played Kovy 6 minutes to “ keep him away from McDavid”

Do you think that's real? Amadio played less than 5 minutes. It's called zero confidence in those players. LaDue played less than 10 minutes. He had to find a way to put him into the lineup without an injury, and still didn't play him. Desjardins is nothing more than a normal NHL head coach, who doesn't like the way Kovalchuk plays. He's the interim guy, so he doesn't care about Kovalchuk. He's auditioning for what he hopes is his next job in the NHL somewhere. What will people look at? Wins and losses. If he doesn't feel that Kovalchuk gives him a chance to make money down the line, Kovalchuk will not play much.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Do you think that's real? Amadio played less than 5 minutes. It's called zero confidence in those players. LaDue played less than 10 minutes. He had to find a way to put him into the lineup without an injury, and still didn't play him. Desjardins is nothing more than a normal NHL head coach, who doesn't like the way Kovalchuk plays. He's the interim guy, so he doesn't care about Kovalchuk. He's auditioning for what he hopes is his next job in the NHL. What will people look at? Wins and losses. If he doesn't feel that Kovalchuk gives him a chance to make money down the line, Kovalchuk will not play much.
He's making his boss look pretty bad, im not sure thats a good strategy

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i just find it very odd that all the warnings we got about willie were that he rolled 4 lines constantly but we've not seen much of it so far, and yet again we see a 25 and 30 minute night for kopi and doughty

that said, it's about damn time we see kopi, brownie and carter hitting the scoresheet. better stay that way

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He's making his boss look pretty bad, im not sure thats a good strategy

Is that WD's problem? That's more a Blake/Robitaille problem. He was brought in after a coach was fired. Maybe Stevens asked for Kovalchuk, but WD didn't. He was given him. They won tonight, that's all any future boss will look at.

It's annoying to watch, but Kovalchuk isn't doing something that Desjardins wants him to do. Unless he gets told to play IK more, as long as he keeps not doing whatever that thing is that WD wants him to do, he's not going to play in close games. Might not even get PP time. If nothing gives somewhere, that seems to be what it's going to be.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
i just find it very odd that all the warnings we got about willie were that he rolled 4 lines constantly but we've not seen much of it so far, and yet again we see a 25 and 30 minute night for kopi and doughty

that said, it's about damn time we see kopi, brownie and carter hitting the scoresheet. better stay that way

surely you dont mean carter’s assist on brown’s empty net goal

carter was ass all f***ing night and was directly responsible for the oilers powerplay that they scored on. he attempted a weak ass deke to enter the offensive zone and it got poke checked away, and then on the backcheck for his mistake, hooked the oiler with that puck

clifford is the best player on that second line

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I understand where this approach is going - he doesn't play when everyone else plays well, but when everyone else is playing poorly he'll play and shoulder the blame.

Less than 7 minutes is ****ing outrageous, don't even bother playing him. No one believes this BS excuse.
So what happens when Willie can't control matchups this week at Edmonton? Is Kovalchuk going to get 2 second shifts in fear of McDavid stepping on the ice?

At what point is Brown no longer considered a bad contract? Insane the way he has turned his play around.
At what point do we consider shopping him? Have to imagine he has one of the highest trade values on the team right now. A team like Nashville would kill to have him I'd think.

Brown is trying to drag this team over the finish line. What a beast.
Brown played really damn well but those first 2 goals were pretty much Kopitar doing all the work. I know Brown did a lot the rest of the game but his goals were a result of Kopitar.

Last edited:
Reactions: King Trouty

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Is that WD's problem? That's more a Blake/Robitaille problem. He was brought in after a coach was fired. Maybe Stevens asked for Kovalchuk, but WD didn't. He was given him. They won tonight, that's all any future boss will look at.

It's annoying to watch, but Kovalchuk isn't doing something that Desjardins wants him to do. Unless he gets told to play IK more, as long as he keeps not doing whatever that thing is that WD wants him to do, he's not going to play in close games. Might not even get PP time. If nothing gives somewhere, that seems to be what it's going to be.
I understand that point. WD may be his own man and wants to do things his way as it should be, but a GM and head coach need to work together. Kovy was producing. Its not like he was 3 points in 10 games like Kopitar. Whatever role WD is looking for him to do, its nuts to try to shape a guy like Kovy into anything other than what he is a pure scorer. Also, it is not helping his trade value. Add it up, and it is not a good move by WD. It may be a short term ploy to wake up the establishment in the room. I think he'd be afraid to do that to Kopi Brown or DD who all deserved that and more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad