Series Talk: WCQF: Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings - EDM Defeats LA 4-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
They deserved to lose after that "cowboy" butchered the US anthem
I never saw that performance, but I can pretty much gaurntee it wasn't near as bad as the anthem singers in the USA butchering the Canadian anthem time and time again lolol

Reactions: zar

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oiler players keep cheating and blowing assignments as if they have a Vezina contender in net.
That's basically the issue. And really, in hockey your weakness defines you. As an Oiler fan I really hope this game shakes them but it's been a problem for too long. But, there's enough roster differences that the pattern is not so firm. The Kings are a good opponent to figure this out.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Edmonton rested players for 1 game. At best they would have been playing for home ice against Colorado. They weren't catching the 3 seed (Vancouver) regardless. Avs at home is still a less favourable matchup than Kings at home. The format benefitted the Oilers significantly whether you want to admit it or not.

The worst teams in the East are playing the best teams in the East - that's how it should be in the West also, but it isn't. The (2) Jets have to play (4) Colorado while (5) Edmonton gets home ice against (7) LA.

That's entirely the point. The Leafs are a road team but would be a home team if they switched divisions with Edmonton. They're both 5th seeds in their conference. The difference is the Leafs as a 5th seed are playing the 4th seed on the road. In the West, the 5th seed Oilers get home ice against the 7th seed Kings while the 4th seed Colorado has to play the 2 seed Jets at home.

How you can argue that's not a favourable matchup for Edmonton is beyond me.
The kings had 3 points less than the the leafs. The oilers had one 2 more than the leafs. I'd the leafs were I. The pacific they'd still be the road team. Stop crying

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Here is the real question. When the hell are announcers going to learn how to pronounce Anze? this is season 18......18 seasons of announcers butchering his name

Incorrect- Sportsnet

Correct

incorrect- TBS/TNT

and this is from the internet, so it is 10000000% indisputably true

Correct

Hey, it could be worse. Remember when LA sports media were praising the way Anze Kopidor and Brad Doty were knocking the ole hockey ball around?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Oilers should be winning this series in 3 but now we gotta endure who knows how many more games of Edm fans pretending the Kings are secret Cup contenders and arguing with the wall about Mcdavid being better than Matthews.

Reactions: 333359

Skate2Stick

Oct 12, 2013
Oilers wishing they had Talbot in net again, Skinner is mentally weak in the playoffs...the pressure cooker makes him like Campbell.
I unfortunately have to agree with you.

I have lost faith in Skinner. You can’t seem to count on him when it matters most.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Oilers should be winning this series in 3 but now we gotta endure who knows how many more games of Edm fans pretending the Kings are secret Cup contenders and arguing with the wall about Mcdavid being better than Matthews.
Imo McDavid is a better player than Matthews. Regardless, both players will be on the golf course after losing in round one. Goaltending issues.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's not like people have been calling the Oilers legit contenders either though. All year they've pretty much been deemed pretenders due to defense and goaltending.

Nothing wrong with tipping your cap to an opponent that has given you a solid run two, now three years in a row. Kings are hardly a bad team. Some whiney fans don't change that. We have them too, and they give up before the games are even over, sometimes before they're even played. Those are the last people who deserve any sort of acknowledgement.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Heading into the playoffs with Pickard as your backup is criminal. Oilers should have picked up Allen as insurance. Now they have to live and die with Skinner and hope he turns up. Horrible management

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think people are being a little too hard on Skinner, 3 of the 5 goals he gave up were 1 on 1's another one was batted in so the only real bad goal in my eyes was the Fiala shot. Sure you want him to save some of the grade A's but that shouldn't be the expectation.

While what you say is 100% true, it winds up being a situation where they need a Vasilevski considering how poor that team defense is, especially on the back side, while they got...Skinner. Is it fair? No. Is it the truth? Yes.

Overall though, this is the (including past) GM's fault for signing a mediocre defenseman like their a top pair Norris trophy RHsD PMD and not having the culture where Drai and McD are willing to sign for a chunk less so they can afford a good defense and a solid goaltender.

It really isn't "Skinner's fault".

• Haha
Reactions: Brian McDavid

Harry Waters

Oct 19, 2012
There is something to be said for sacrificing offense for defense. With the defense and goaltending the Oilers have, I have always believed the two big boys need to do just that. They are obviously incredible offensive players and that still hasn’t been enough up until now. The answer isn’t more offense.
That is always thrown around as a very general idea, and I don't buy it. I don't mean to attack you personally, but I always wonder how that would look like. Are there multiple instances per game where McDavid/Draisaitl flee the zone which lead to chances/goals against? Are they really worse than other Oilers forwards defensively or is this just a baseless assumption because they score more? Some numbers would suggest that.

Frankly, if McDavid doesn't do what he did exactly how he did it in game 1, chances are the Kings are up 2-0 in the series. What assist should he have 'sacrificed' to prevent a goal against?

And if they really flee the zone and don't play defense 'correctly', how many times does this happen, and does that set off the loss in offensive output if they change that? What does that mean for the way the team is playing? And do you really think the McDavids and Draisaitls just don't think of that or care to do it if it was that simple? Do people really think McDavid is playing for 2 ppg and losing in round 2 instead of 1,5 ppg and winning the cup? Sounds a little stupid, doesn't it?

I just think saying the best offensive players in the game should 'sacrifice' offense for defense is lazy if there is no follow-up.

Yes, there are differences in how good players are defensively, but could someone please just explain a little more how that 'sacrificing offense' should look like exactly. As long as the people are just throwing that around, I trust the McDavids of the world much more that they know how to help their team instead of the hfboards-defensive-play-analysts.

Oh, and why is it never the other way round? If teams get shut out I never hear 'the defensive third line center should just sacrifice some defense for offense'. Perhaps it is not that simple? But hey, what do I know.

Reactions: YMCMBYOLO

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I'd give Mcdavid $20M in a heartbeat. As long as you keep the other paychecks in line (ie no PLD or Campbell-contracts) you should be able to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad