Post-Game Talk: [GM 2] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | 2-3 (Burroughs, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
5-2 Canucks. That forward group for the Flyers without Couturier and Atkinson is pretty awful. Always wary of afternoon games on the road, but I think they get the job done. Just hope they're not taking any liberties with our star players if the game gets out of hand. An 0-2 start and this board might explode.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
5-2 Canucks. That forward group for the Flyers without Couturier and Atkinson is pretty awful. Always wary of afternoon games on the road, but I think they get the job done. Just hope they're not taking any liberties with our star players if the game gets out of hand. An 0-2 start and this board might explode.
The media would explode for sure and then would say it is the fan base being over reactive.

The sports show love to portray the Canucks fans as stupid, impatient and childish.

I looked at the sched and the fragility of this group and figured they would go 2 W 3L the first 5 games at best. I don't realistically expect a possible winning record until 20 games in.

I expect/think the Flyers win

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don’t understand why Hoglander is going to sit if / when Mik is back. I don’t buy in to the theory that if you’re a skilled player you have to play in top 6 or top 9. Why will he sit over a “checker” or “tough guy” on the 4th line. Does Joshua scare anyone? Nope. Is Aman going to help our PK? Nope. Did Lazar shut down oilers top guys? Nope.

So what’s the point ? It’s not like we have a 4th line with purpose that’s effective at at least one specific thing. So if that’s the case, just dress your most skilled 12 forwards.

It reminds me when team Canada left Sid on the taxi squad in his rookie year in favour of bringing Kris Draper and other guys that were better “checkers”.
The simple explanation is that Mikheyev is an elite lever PK'er. And the Canucks PK got basically shredded in the last game.

So I think it's a simple matter of shoring up the PK, rather than any dissatisfaction with Hoglander. Based on 'performance' the guy who should come out is Pearson....but we all know that won't ever happen.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don’t understand why Hoglander is going to sit if / when Mik is back. I don’t buy in to the theory that if you’re a skilled player you have to play in top 6 or top 9. Why will he sit over a “checker” or “tough guy” on the 4th line. Does Joshua scare anyone? Nope. Is Aman going to help our PK? Nope. Did Lazar shut down oilers top guys? Nope.

So what’s the point ? It’s not like we have a 4th line with purpose that’s effective at at least one specific thing. So if that’s the case, just dress your most skilled 12 forwards.

It reminds me when team Canada left Sid on the taxi squad in his rookie year in favour of bringing Kris Draper and other guys that were better “checkers”.
I agree that he’s a better player than Joshua, especially if Joshua isn’t going to be a physical force.

But Lazar fills a completely different role. He PK’s, is the only right shot center they have for faceoffs.

Aman doesn’t PK, but he’s much better defensively than Hog, I actually think he should be on the PK, I hope the coaching staff gives him an opportunity at it because I could see him being really effective on the PK. He’s also one the few truly fast players we have that can cause some chaos on the forecheck and help defend in transition.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hahaha. Jesus. I thought this was a GDT and usually road trips don't have 2 day breaks.
They do have b2b Monday and Tuesday vs Wash and CBS. Which makes up for it.

Plus it is a busy sports weekend in Philly with mlb and prime time nfl on Sunday night. Plus PSU plays Michigan on Saturday as well in NCAAF which will garner some interest.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
We’ll stomp them tomorrow. Hart and their defense are far too variable.

5-1 VAN

Reactions: geebaan

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Why keep Rathbone around in a 7D role? Isn’t this just tanking his value if he can’t beat out Stillman? Why not play him and then trade him?

Reactions: Lindgren

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Me and my wife are out numbered and had to switch to a zone defence.

Jim Gaffigan has a bit.

Have 4 kids is like floating in the ocean trying not to drown and someone chucks you a baby.

I don’t have 4 though, I’m not a masochist

As a masochist, even I wouldn't want 4.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Man if and when Rathbone gets in it looks like he's gonna be a short leash. Acquiring Stillman had to be a shot across the bow.

@VanJack why the hell should Pearson come out? Doesn't make any sense at all when he's a .5ppg player and can win some board battles and defend. Same thing with people calling for Poolmans head. The guy played his best game as a Canuck was really solid and you bench him? Confuzing biases

I would have zero issue pulling Amen out of the lineup to move Lazar to C and let Michayev or Hoglander (probably Hogs tbh) play on that 4th line so they can get a single shot or 2. I'm not as impressed by Amen as some of you guys but he does have really good range, size and defensive acumen.

Excited to see what Michayev brings in terms of speed and tenacity. I think he becomes a really good sparkplug wherever he eventually settles in. Have to agree that he wont be able to think the game at Pettersson and Kuzmenko's level and eventually Podkolzin finds his way along side of Pettersson who could use his strength and even his toughness eventually

Starting on the road is not a very good scenario for a team that hasn't been that good and has a fair amount of unfamiliarity. Need to come back above .500 or pressure frustration will already start to mount given the expectations.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Is this the first or second game of the road trip?

Surly they came home from Edmonton and got a couple days practice in?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You need to stay positive, despite a gut-punch in Edmonton.....but then I remember that this team basically blew its; season out of the water in the last two campaigns by going six or seven games below .500 by the quarter-pole.

No excuses if they lose this one......they're a better team than Philly in almost every category.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Having 2 kids suck. 10 years ago I would be starting my routine of dinner and beer at 6:30pm. Now it's a milk bottle and a book and hoping to god they fall asleep before game time. At least for tomorrow the only thing I have to watch is my mouth. I miss being able to swear at my TV screen though.
I know you're kidding but enjoy it while you can...it goes by so quickly and you will miss it more than you know lol...

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Mine are 1 and 3 so I got a long long way to go till I get peace.
Mine are 4 and 11mo and I’ve splashed on the sports et streaming service as between being on east coast and kids I’ll rarely get to watch a game in real time. Cheers to the other dads who struggle to fit their hockey obsession into real life.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I too have a couple of young kids but I don’t really get why so many people on here have an issue watching the Canucks. Ya, obviously you aren’t going to get to watch all of the games live but there is this thing called “PVR” which - get this - will allow you to tape delay games!

Joking aside, even when I was a kid my dad used to tape on VHS eastern games and watch them after I went to bed.

This is the way.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
It’s 00:42 over here and I’m working on my assignment atm, I’m positive I can get it done within 1-2hours. And the game is only 3 hours away.
Really tempted to stay awake for the game.
I swear to god if I decide to stay awake for the bois and they blow another 3 goal lead I’m going to lose it.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
PP has to work today.

Philly is expected to be rebuilding but Torts is no dummy, this team he has now is young and will listen. They could be missing Risto, Tippett, Ellis, Couturier and Atkinson but Tort's teams are notorious for winning at home.

The Canucks are only missing Myers so basically a full NHL squad
Edit Mikheyev not playing

There will be pain.

Philly already leads the league in blocked shots by quite a margin

The two teams are vey close in just about all the stats witch is to be expected.

Van should win but the start time could be an issue though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad