Post-Game Talk: GM 2 | Oilers def. Canucks - 5-2 (Schmidt, Motte)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Look at the heat maps last night. Looks like the last 3 seasons of Green coached Canucks teams.

An absolute mountain of attempts from the low slot. The Oilers 5 on 5 attempts looks similar to their PP attempts. All of the goals came from the middle of the ice in the low slot. It wasn’t just McDavid either.

Teams still seem to access our slot with relative ease which puts a lot of pressure on the goalies.

Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers, 2021-01-14

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Look at the heat maps last night. Looks like the last 3 seasons of Green coached Canucks teams.

An absolute mountain of attempts from the low slot. The Oilers 5 on 5 attempts looks similar to their PP attempts. All of the goals came from the middle of the ice in the low slot. It wasn’t just McDavid either.

Teams still seem to access our slot with relative ease which puts a lot of pressure on the goalies.

I was going to post that after the second period last night but didn't get around to it and then forgot. We can say it's only game 2 but it's really hard not to have those concerns in your head when what we saw is essentially what we've been seeing for years.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I was going to post that after the second period last night but didn't get around to it and then forgot. We can say it's only game 2 but it's really hard not to have those concerns in your head when what we saw is essentially what we've been seeing for years.
That heat map could be from any game in the past 4 years. That’s what they commonly look like.

At least we held then under 50 shots. It was looking like it was going to be 60 for awhile.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Juolevi looks like absolute garbage, his terrible skating is really amplified at this level. Let's get a look at Rathbone, if they're going to keep Juolevi up they should cycle him in and out of the lineup. He is not an every-night NHL player.

Yes, I'm aware we're only two games deep but he always looks like this. Really don't see how he made the team.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Really don't see how he made the team.

He had to. They couldn't have their 5th overall pick from 2016 not make the team again. They desperately don't want Juolevi to fail (of course) but more to the point they don't even want the appearance of failure. This is wants, desires and optics ahead of team.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Juolevi looks like absolute garbage, his terrible skating is really amplified at this level. Let's get a look at Rathbone, if they're going to keep Juolevi up they should cycle him in and out of the lineup. He is not an every-night NHL player.

Yes, I'm aware we're only two games deep but he always looks like this. Really don't see how he made the team.

The 5th overall pick is gonna get ice time regardless of his deficiencies....whether or not he deserves the roster spot is something that should be questioned.

Benning is gonna give this kid a long, long leash, just as he's done with Jake Virtanen.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster

Juolevi and Rathbone both need games this year. We need to see what they've got over a spread of games and scenarios, and with the condensed schedule, it makes sense to split games with them anyways. Rathbone probably should have been in versus Edmonton due to their speed and skating prowess. Juolevi would likely be better placed in games where he isn't going to get walked regularly.

That said his skating needs to improve. Also the defensive systems and coaching is STILL a problem. Or lack thereof.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The 5th overall pick is gonna get ice time regardless of his deficiencies....whether or not he deserves the roster spot is something that should be questioned.

Benning is gonna give this kid a long, long leash, just as he's done with Jake Virtanen.
McCann got such a short leash, he almost died from asphyxiation.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He had to. They couldn't have their 5th overall pick from 2016 not make the team again. They desperately don't want Juolevi to fail (of course) but more to the point they don't even want the appearance of failure. This is wants, desires and optics ahead of team.
I don’t really believe this. I think it’s far more likely the kid from Harvard isn’t that close to being an nhl player at this stage and that’s not really an issue. He’s going to need development but not surprised folks want the shiny new toy.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So many hot takes after a game lol.
What are the hot takes?

Virtanen sucks and is a poor fit with skilled players? That ain’t hot.

Juolevi is a pylon? That ain’t hot.

Hoglander looked overwhelmed and like a rookie? Not hot.

Canucks gave up slot chances like crazy (again) is not a hot take.

Reactions: Rumsfeld

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don’t really believe this. I think it’s far more likely the kid from Harvard isn’t that close to being an nhl player at this stage and that’s not really an issue. He’s going to need development but not surprised folks want the shiny new toy.

I'm not saying the kid from Harvard is any more ready. That's not what I meant. I think the entire plan for the blueline was made penciling in Juolevi as a regular player because that's what they want rather than because he's ready. Same as penciling in Virtanen and McCann...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

If it's between two rookies that are clearly not ready, it's a management failure.

Reactions: 420Canuck

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

That's the product of having a garbage bottom 6 and awful D depth.

Cannot count how many games I saw the likes of Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Ferland, Eriksson just get blown by opposing teams. Seems like Green plays a system that attempts to contain the inside zone near the blueline but the players just don't have the speed to keep up which results in multiple chances down low.

In the playoffs...Greens "adjustment" was to just allow Vegas to enter the zone which forced the D and forwards to play a passive box 5v5. That was one of the most absurd strategies I seen but his hand was probably forced due to the trash in the bottom 6.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'm not saying the kid from Harvard is any more ready. That's not what I meant. I think the entire plan for the blueline was made penciling in Juolevi as a regular player because that's what they want rather than because he's ready. Same as penciling in Virtanen and McCann...

Classic Benning/Green

also Gaudette at center :facepalm:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That's the product of having a garbage bottom 6 and awful D depth.

Cannot count how many games I saw the likes of Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Ferland, Eriksson just get blown by opposing teams. Seems like Green plays a system that attempts to contain the inside zone near the blueline but the players just don't have the speed to keep up which results in multiple chances down low.

In the playoffs...Greens "adjustment" was to just allow Vegas to enter the zone which forced the D and forwards to play a passive box 5v5. That was one of the most absurd strategies I seen but his hand was probably forced due to the trash in the bottom 6.
Well at least you think there is a system. I don’t see much structure at all.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So many hot takes after a game lol.

The difference between this GDT and the first one is indeed striking - too many over-optimistic takes after the first game, and too many pessimistic takes after this one. Some of each will probably pan out over time, but it's a natural reaction to there being a small sample size of a season to go through so far. I'm just anxious to see more games to see how it all starts unfolding.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The difference between this GDT and the first one is indeed striking - too many over-optimistic takes after the first game, and too many pessimistic takes after this one. Some of each will probably pan out over time, but it's a natural reaction to there being a small sample size of a season to go through so far. I'm just anxious to see more games to see how it all starts unfolding.
The team gave up 46 shots.

mostly from the slot where all 5 goals were scored. Calling it pessimistic to be concerned with that after seeing it play out every other season under Travis isn’t pessimistic it’s addressing reality.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I remember Luongo was always a slow starter, and in his 5th and 6th season everyone lost it in October "this team isn't that good." "Luongo's no good". It's like, guys, chill. And we won the President's Trophies both seasons. It's two games.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Our young dmen need to be played with rocks like Tanev or good Edler and not Myers. I think even Hughes is missing Tanev right now. Can Schmidt play that role (don't know enough about his game yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad