Post-Game Talk: GM 2 | Oilers def. Canucks - 5-2 (Schmidt, Motte)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
While the quality of play I am sure will tighten up league-wide in due time, what we've seen in two days in the North Division is pretty indicative I think of what we will see in terms of results. Toronto-Montreal, and Calgary-Winnipeg both went to OT in close matchups. Vancouver-Edmonton split games with 5-goal victories. This division is going to be tight. Every team has strengths and weaknesses, and every team is capable of beating every other team pretty regularly. The only things that will create some significant separation in the division are injuries, and god forbid a covid outbreak. Maybe even Ottawa will surprise.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
While the quality of play I am sure will tighten up league-wide in due time, what we've seen in two days in the North Division is pretty indicative I think of what we will see in terms of results. Toronto-Montreal, and Calgary-Winnipeg both went to OT in close matchups. Vancouver-Edmonton split games with 5-goal victories. This division is going to be tight. Every team has strengths and weaknesses, and every team is capable of beating every other team pretty regularly. The only things that will create some significant separation in the division are injuries, and god forbid a covid outbreak. Maybe even Ottawa will surprise.

Gonna be a fun season that's for sure!

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I would really really really love to be proven wrong about Juolevi this season. I've been rooting hard for this kid ever since that terrible moment when his name was announced over Tkachuk's.

But if he can't figure out a way to stop forwards from beating him wide cleanly on a regular basis, he is screwed at this level.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The team gave up 46 shots.

mostly from the slot where all 5 goals were scored. Calling it pessimistic to be concerned with that after seeing it play out every other season under Travis isn’t pessimistic it’s addressing reality.

Maybe pessimistic isn't the right word; but I do think it is too quick to declare the team defense an utter disaster for the entire season after 1 bad loss. I also think it's too quick to declare Hoglander a Calder finalist after a really strong debut game.

End of the day, it's small sample sizes. You may well end up being right over the balance of the season - but I'm not ready to get worked up one way or the other after 2 games.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Maybe pessimistic isn't the right word; but I do think it is too quick to declare the team defense an utter disaster for the entire season after 1 bad loss. I also think it's too quick to declare Hoglander a Calder finalist after a really strong debut game.

End of the day, it's small sample sizes. You may well end up being right over the balance of the season - but I'm not ready to get worked up one way or the other after 2 games.
I’m concerned but I’m also just happy to have the boys back on TV.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that is the first game i have seen where i would compare mcdavid to the very best ever. he was completely unstoppable and imposed his will and turned the opposition into the washington generals.

hopefully the canucks do not have ptsd after what mcdavid did to them. i really don't want to see that reactive shell become a pattern against other teams. if we see a continuation of the playoffs against teams like calgary we are done.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
pros
Canucks were coming off a great win
Canucks were playing against a team who played back to back
cons
The back to back team they beat was the same team they were playing the previous night.
Edmonton was angry after losing. McDavid was angry after losing. Oilers adjusted their game such as keeping the Canucks to the outside at all times. They clearly didn't trust their goalie who let in shots from outside. This required them to play more defensively and collapse in front of him when the puck was in their own end.
McDavid is a beast with incredible IQ.
Canucks fans have extremely short memories and demand that being tired is never excuse, even though its a fact. So was Edmonton but in such circumstances the result is at least 50/50 for all teams, depending on how they played the night before - i.e. if the losing team saved their energy in the third, and the winning team can't let up in order to secure the win for the night.

You can see how the Canucks came out storming early in the first. That's the typical play of a team that's bagged after playing the night before - try to get the lead in the first while you can then try to hold it for the rest of the game.

We lost. It's only the second game.

However, I don't want to see this plan of Green's to keep using Demko this way. You can't win games by playing in your own zone all night, letting 40+ point shots go through and picking up the pennies in front. You have to try and score goals.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I mean, there's fair criticism and unfair criticism. Losing your shit about the performance of the top line and Pettersson - probably unfair. Pettersson will turn it on and Miller will be back in a couple weeks.

But the worrying thing about this game is how it mirrored last season. We discussed endlessly last year how the game plan seemed to be to bleed chances everywhere and rely on Vezina-calibre goaltending and a hot PP to bail us out. The big question for this year is what happens if we don't get Vezina-calibre goaltending ... and the first test didn't go well.

Looking at the roster, neither the lines nor the defensive pairings seem designed to be able to ice a cohesive defensive strategy against a player like McDavid.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Canucks fans have extremely short memories and demand that being tired is never excuse, even though its a fact. So was Edmonton but in such circumstances the result is at least 50/50 for all teams, depending on how they played the night before - i.e. if the losing team saved their energy in the third, and the winning team can't let up in order to secure the win for the night.

It's the worst excuse imaginable when playing the same f***ing team with the exact same schedule :laugh:

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
Excellent idea! And lean on him too. Make Connor play through Jake’s heavy body for every inch of ice. PP Connor is still going to be deadly, but at least he will be tired from fighting with Jake the rest of the game.
Green can definitely improve his systems and specific tactics.
Except Jake can’t even do the simplest of things he should do, ever! It’s insane he’s been given as much opportunity as he has. He floats around with accomplishing anything good 95% of the time.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Except Jake can’t even do the simplest of things he should do, ever! It’s insane he’s been given as much opportunity as he has. He floats around with accomplishing anything good 95% of the time.
Jake can’t even figure out where to go on the ice let alone shadow the best player in the league.

Virtanen couldn’t even shadow Jay Beagle.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That was as dominant a game I've ever seen from a single player...amazing...Their top end players came ready to play, ours did not..As is tradition here on HFCanucks, posters look to pin the blame on players at the bottom of the lineup.

It was a flat game by the Canucks, and once again...It was game #2...

Reactions: Jimnastic

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That was as dominant a game I've ever seen from a single player...amazing...Their top end players came ready to play, ours did not..As is tradition here on HFCanucks, posters look to pin the blame on players at the bottom of the lineup.

It was a flat game by the Canucks, and once again...It was game #2...

I missed the game. You're telling me Beagle and Sutter didn't shut down McDavid?

Reactions: Luckylarry

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
He had to. They couldn't have their 5th overall pick from 2016 not make the team again. They desperately don't want Juolevi to fail (of course) but more to the point they don't even want the appearance of failure. This is wants, desires and optics ahead of team.

But injuries and but covid.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Did anyone hit McDavid? Is there a stat showing how many hits each player receives? Hughes got rocked, Boeser got rocked, who are we rocking?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not IMO. It reduces the chance of a win/loss closer to 50/50. It's a benefit to the team who should be worse on paper.
Why wasn’t the first game 50/50?

This doesn’t make sense. The worse team who lost the previous game shouldn’t have any more benefit. Strange conclusion. Seems like an excuse.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wow..........the amount of THE SKY IS FALLING WE SUCK SOO BAD BS on this board is nauseating.

DOOM AND GLOOM!!! The guys on this board seem to revel in it

#NOTJOININGIN
My prediction of us finishing sixth in the division looks pretty accurate after those two games. Yes, we got the first one, but in both games we gave up way to many high quality chances, especially when compared with how many we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad