GDT: Gm 19: Boston Bruins @ Ottawa Senators | 11-15-13 | 730P ET | NESN (HD) | 98.5 FM

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
it should be a game.
kinda reminded me of the ference chicken wing on grabovski

Ok

Saw the replay on the main board.

Seidenberg should at least get a call from Shanny.

Nope. I normally err on the side of caution/suspension, but not here. No way.

Seidenberg is preparing for Ryan to come in for solid body contact. If there was more contact, and Ryan doesn't back off, they pretty much end up chest to chest, with Seidenberg's right arm sandwiched between them, and the follow through would've launched Ryan into the glass. THAT is what Seidenberg is expecting and going for. This play happens a million times a night and this is honestly the first time I've ever seen it happen this way, cuz nobody jumps backward at the last moment. This was a 1 on 1 battle for body position that never had a chance to happen cuz somebody backed off.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Oh good lord is it ever.

After two posts, I realize why I should never, ever go up there.

Elbow from Seids? Yes.
Tad of a sell job from BR? Yes.

There is no happy medium up there. There are only Heroes and Villians.

I don't get it. The NHL isn't allowed to have boarding/elbowing minor penalties any more. Every time there IS one, everyone cries for a suspension. Soon we'll be suspending guys for too many men.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I find in general Rask is often his worst critic and can be hard on himself. Pretty sure he wasn't pleased with some of those goals and would like a do over. He didn't have it in him to steal this game tonight but he wasn't going to place blame in the D either (although poor puck management and bad turnovers were the theme of this game).

Seids also explained that he was turning to the puck with his stick on the ice when his elbow made contact-no intent but you never know what does or doesn't get looked at.

Agreed, wouldn't mind for him to come back and post a shutout against the Canes on Monday. I think, with the way he's been playing for most of the year, he can have an off night or two. To think that he will allow one or two goals every single game is asking a bit much, even for a seven million dollar goalie. ;)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Oh good lord is it ever.

After two posts, I realize why I should never, ever go up there.

Elbow from Seids? Yes.
Tad of a sell job from BR? Yes.

There is no happy medium up there. There are only Heroes and Villians.

shocked_to_find_gaming.jpg

:shakehead

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Still not enough finish. Only thing keeping this team from reaching that next level.

This was a soft game. Shawn Thornton needs hit the pressbox. I can do without the long range bad angle shots, lob passes, and peace keeping. Better hockey players are playing in Providence. He needs to be an in your face energy guy. Not a dangling 4th line cheerleader.

Back to back on the road. Didn't expect an A+ game. Blowing another two goal lead is unacceptable though. Took the foot off the gas and couldn't recover.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island

Are you insinuating that's not true??

Of course the bolded statement is true for ANY team, generally speaking, but it is especially true for a slower team like the Bruins... a single turnover to a quick lineup can translate into a prime [opponent's] scoring chance in a couple seconds or less.

I just want to see a speed injection on this team. It is the biggest area in which this team can be exposed regularly.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Are you insinuating that's not true??

Of course the bolded statement is true for ANY team, generally speaking, but it is especially true for a slower team like the Bruins... a single turnover to a quick lineup can translate into a prime [opponent's] scoring chance in a couple seconds or less.

I just want to see a speed injection on this team. It is the biggest area in which this team can be exposed regularly.

I guess I was too subtle "Seguin" in my previous "Seguin" response to your suggestion "Seguin" that this team needs more "Seguin" speed.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Man, that was terrible. How a team can look that good for 19:00 and then look that bad for 41:00 boggles the mind. They are the most frustrating good team in the league.

- Tuukka was awful BUT, it shows his value even more. This team should occasionally be able to win a game when they give up 3 ****ing goals.

- Matt Bartkowski was good tonight.

- The rest of the defense was ****ing dreadful, my lord. The only tollerable performance was by Hamitlon.

- We are slow.

- Brad Marchand looked good, in fact that line appears to be clicking.

- We are really slow.

- Carl Soderberg was good, he looks like he belongs now but damn, he is a ****** skater.

- Reilly Smith was garbage.

- Dennis Seidenberg gets a call, a fine and a history, that's all. It was an odd play and Bobby Ryan did an all World sell job.

- I'm worried about how we collapse when we are pressed by hard forechecking, fast teams. We can't seem to "create" a forecheck for long stretches because of the lack of speed.

This team is strange. I have a lot of faith in them when the playoffs start, they will be a tough out for any team in the league. At the same time, I don't know if they can score enough. The mix seems wrong right now, there is simply not enough speed on this team.

I love the lineup, but I don't. Does that seem strange?

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
ZERO scoring chances in periods 2 and 3 is not going to win many games.
Anyway, glad I am not paying for Centre Ice for the first time in about 8 years.

Canadian TV or Internet streams...is the way to go.

Last edited:

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
The B's blow a third period lead? I'm shocked! Shocked I say. They did this all of last year so it should be a surprise any more.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
That third period was the worst the Bruins have played in years. Not even exaggerating.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Any word on if Bobby Ryan's knees are ok? Came down pretty hard on them.

Rancid McGoiter

Still metal.
Feb 1, 2005
Bad game. Ok, I'd give them a pass. They've beaten some pretty speedy teams rather consistently, so it's a tired argument.

This disappointing game, and that nothing elbow from Seids don't, and shouldn't matter.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bruins played a pretty darn good game tonight. Sure they weren't perfect but they played well enough to win on most nights. Pretty impressive performance by Ottawa to overcome the early 2-0 deficit to beat Boston.

No. The B's didn't really play well. The game is 60 min. ..Not 30.

I hope this wakes up our boys.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Still not enough finish. Only thing keeping this team from reaching that next level.

This was a soft game. Shawn Thornton needs hit the pressbox. I can do without the long range bad angle shots, lob passes, and peace keeping. Better hockey players are playing in Providence. He needs to be an in your face energy guy. Not a dangling 4th line cheerleader.

Back to back on the road. Didn't expect an A+ game. Blowing another two goal lead is unacceptable though. Took the foot off the gas and couldn't recover.

Man, that was terrible. How a team can look that good for 19:00 and then look that bad for 41:00 boggles the mind. They are the most frustrating good team in the league.

- We are slow.

- Brad Marchand looked good, in fact that line appears to be clicking.

- We are really slow.

-

- I'm worried about how we collapse when we are pressed by hard forechecking, fast teams. We can't seem to "create" a forecheck for long stretches because of the lack of speed.

This team is strange. I have a lot of faith in them when the playoffs start, they will be a tough out for any team in the league. At the same time, I don't know if they can score enough. The mix seems wrong right now, there is simply not enough speed on this team.

I love the lineup, but I don't. Does that seem strange?

Answer to some of our issues: SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED.

Too slow. Seids, Boychuk and Chara on the backend = pretty slow

Kelly = slow

Fourth line has been terrible this year. Paille only guy with speed on this line.

Thorton is really, really slow right now.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Well that was a disappointing game. First time I've ever seen Ottawa win in Ottawa. I got heckled pretty good on my way back to the car. Can't wait to go back in Dec.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Sorry to get on the Thornton bashing band wagon yet again but here is my problem from last night.

The game and momentum changed on Neil's goal. Before the goal Neil through a huge open ice hit. Neil even circled back after the hit expecting a fight if you watch closely. Thornton was coming on or was on the ice and chose (as he seems to have done a lot this year) NOT to engage Chris Neil. Neil continues with the fore-check, eventually steals the puck and snipes a goal past Rask. The whole game changed at this moment. Bruin's did not have a single scoring chance after this play.

I am sorry but if Thornton isn't capable of enforcing any more, still can't throw a bodycheck to save his life and is probably on his last legs in the NHL, it's time to bring in a new body for the 4th line. We have plenty of guys ready to go. Even Caron would be an improvement. Johnson.... or call up Spooner and drop Kelly. Thornton seems cooked.

And why on earth CJ has the 4th line on the ice, down by 2 goals, with under 5 minutes left still has me scratching my head speechless. Time to do something with those 3rd and 4th lines. That was brutal last night. And these two lines have been pretty average to terrible most of the year.

We can't rely on top line a and b to do everything all year. With CJ's system you need all 4 lines going. You can't win with just one or two. Please for the love of all that is good and mighty, give Thornton a seat.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Last year's cup run might be giving us a false representation of the effectiveness in the make up of this team. We barely squeezed by the Leafs. The Rangers played some of the worst hockey I've seen in the POs in many years. And the Penguins were their own worst enemy.

Too many pluggers, too many passers, not enough pure goal scorers. Either that or we've got to get pucks to the net and muck out goals. I'd say acquire some more speed and/or pure (irresponsible) talent. But Claude wouldn't have it, and if he did, he'd turn them into hybrid versions of P.J Axelson.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Sorry to get on the Thornton bashing band wagon yet again but here is my problem from last night.

The game and momentum changed on Neil's goal. Before the goal Neil through a huge open ice hit. Neil even circled back after the hit expecting a fight if you watch closely. Thornton was coming on or was on the ice and chose (as he seems to have done a lot this year) NOT to engage Chris Neil. Neil continues with the fore-check, eventually steals the puck and snipes a goal past Rask. The whole game changed at this moment. Bruin's did not have a single scoring chance after this play.

I am sorry but if Thornton isn't capable of enforcing any more, still can't throw a bodycheck to save his life and is probably on his last legs in the NHL, it's time to bring in a new body for the 4th line. We have plenty of guys ready to go. Even Caron would be an improvement. Johnson.... or call up Spooner and drop Kelly. Thornton seems cooked.

And why on earth CJ has the 4th line on the ice, down by 2 goals, with under 5 minutes left still has me scratching my head speechless. Time to do something with those 3rd and 4th lines. That was brutal last night. And these two lines have been pretty average to terrible most of the year.

We can't rely on top line a and b to do everything all year. With CJ's system you need all 4 lines going. You can't win with just one or two. Please for the love of all that is good and mighty, give Thornton a seat.
I think it started changing a little earlier. After the Bruins got the 2 goal lead Kassian and Thornton were lined up for a faceoff. Kassian was talking to Thornton, asking him to go. Thornton declined. 20 seconds later Kassian is in Bartowski's face and pushing him around...no sign of Nutrasweet Shawn.

Up until that point Bartowski was having his best game of the year. After that play Bart became invisible. As did many of the Bruins.

Thornton has to do his job better.

Last edited:

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I guess I was too subtle "Seguin" in my previous "Seguin" response to your suggestion "Seguin" that this team needs more "Seguin" speed.

If that "Seguin" speed could've mustered up more than one goal over 22 playoff games... or at least if "Seguin the generational talent" could've mustered even just a couple goals in the SCF, this team wins its 2nd cup in three years.

That is why your boy is gone. What went wrong??? He's too soft, and he doesn't get dirty in the kind of areas where Loui manages to jockey for good position constantly.

And Tyler being shown the door made way for the FO to lock up Rask AND Bergy (not just one of the two), and sign Iginla... who has fit the first line like a glove thus far.

What's done is done, at any rate. Tyler is gone and you can go to all the Stars games you want, if you so wish. I am on record opposing the trade but i am pleased with the team overall so far and my loyalties lie with the Bruins not with an underachieving stud who needed a reality check to play more to his potential.

It's too bad Segs couldn't motivate himself. Winning a Cup his rookie year was bad for him... a Cup is what players spend their entire careers longing for and he jumped right into a Cup-winning team. But i wish Tyler the best, he will be a much better player after the wake-up call now that he is playing with a chip on his shoulder.

People like you need to understand Seguin was never going to realize his full potential in Boston. In part because of our roster, partly because of Julien, and partly because of the way he conducted himself on and off the ice.

Once you understand this, and as Eriksson continues to warm up... you won't be so bitter that your own personal Justin Bieber is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad