Pre-Game Talk: GM 15: Vancouver Canucks @ Los Angeles Kings - Nov 8th - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm confused at what you are describing... The play I'm talking about was the one where he needlessly chases Thornton up the boards leaving Edler vulnerable down low.

Because that's exactly what playing 3 in 4 equates to... Holy dramatic hyperbole, heh...

Higgins blew the zone and his check was the one who made the play to Couture.

And to the other point. This is likely the toughest part of our schedule in terms of how many games we are playing. If Lack isn't needed in relief now, I don't know why he would be later.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If Vrbata is out, here are the lines I'd like to see:

Sedins-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Jensen-Horvat-Vey

4th line plays like, 7 minutes :biglaugh:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm confused at what you are describing... The play I'm talking about was the one where he needlessly chases Thornton up the boards leaving Edler vulnerable down low.

We're talking about the same play.

Edler was left vulnerable because Higgins blew the zone. If he was where he was supposed to be, he would have been in the lane through which the cross-ice pass was made.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
And to the other point. This is likely the toughest part of our schedule in terms of how many games we are playing. If Lack isn't needed in relief now, I don't know why he would be later.
Jesus.

We're talking about the same play.

Edler was left vulnerable because Higgins blew the zone. If he was where he was supposed to be, he would have been in the lane through which the cross-ice pass was made.

Aah... See Higgens role in it now... Looks like both Tanev and Higgens assumed the puck was going the other way..
I guess I can add that to the list of things that made Higgens the most frustrating forward to watch last night.
But Tanev still had no business being that high... Misread the play with Higgy.. Thornton pulled him way outta his zone.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
All I'm saying is if there's an argument that Lack shouldn't get a game through likely the busiest section of our schedule, then arguments can be made for almost any game this season. Miller isn't a young goalie, he's been a workhorse in the past but if we have a capable backup then why risk overplaying him?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
All I'm saying is if there's an argument that Lack shouldn't get a game through likely the busiest section of our schedule, then arguments can be made for almost any game this season. Miller isn't a young goalie, he's been a workhorse in the past but if we have a capable backup then why risk overplaying him?

Obviously.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If you want the best shot at winning 1 of the 2 games, you play your best goalie (Miller) when the team is the freshest (LA). This strategy would also match your best goalie against the opponent with the less potent offense (LA is 26th in goals per game, Anaheim is 17th)

If you want to prevent losing, you want the freshest goalie in both games and your best goalie (rested) when the team is fatigued. So you play Miller in Anaheim. Again this also matches your best goalie against the better offense.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I kind of want to see Burrows back with the twins, while slotting Jensen with Bonino. The idea being that if things click, we could slide Burrows down to the third when Vrbata is back to have a solid defensive third line.

So when everyone is healthy, we could try...

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Higgins - Bonino - Jensen
Kassian - Horvat - Burrows
Richardson - Vey - Hansen

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If you want the best shot at winning 1 of the 2 games, you play your best goalie (Miller) when the team is the freshest (LA). This strategy would also match your best goalie against the opponent with the less potent offense (LA is 26th in goals per game, Anaheim is 17th)

If you want to prevent losing, you want the freshest goalie in both games and your best goalie (rested) when the team is fatigued. So you play Miller in Anaheim. Again this also matches your best goalie against the better offense.

For me, it's all about the former approach. Make sure you take your points from the most winnable games first. Points are paramount.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The way everyone has played to this point, I find it unlikely that 3 rookies play while Dorsett and Matthias sit in the press box.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The way everyone has played to this point, I find it unlikely that 3 rookies play while Dorsett and Matthias sit in the press box.

Yup.

Everyone loves the prospects, but Jensen goes straight to the pressbox unless needed. Same with Horvat if everyone is healthy.

The veteran forwards are all playing well and have us off to a 10-4 start. They keep playing. Scratching them is the sort of idiot move that takes the air out of a good environment.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Dorsett probably slips back in for Jensen, unless he pulls a Saad on us. However, I think Matthias' chances are numbered. He's only had a handful of good games and is likely gone by year's end. If Horvat plays well, I'd be very surprise to see Matthias draw in over him.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
:( but I just woke up and still want to talk about the Sharks game.

Still can't believe last night's game. The high level this team is functioning at as a unit is mind boggling for this Canucks fan. Even during the peak of the AV years, I don't think the Canucks were playing as well in a system as they are now.

Desjardins' has managed to hide this team's weaknesses and accentuate the strengths. It doesn't hurt having an All-World goalie in net too.

We need to temper expectations. Last year we started 10-5-1. This year we are 10-4.

Remember how last year turned out.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I really hope they play Lack today. Sets up Millertime vs Anaheim, and gives lack a game NOT on the back to back.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I sincerely hope the Canucks do not look at any game as a 'write-off' game, unless it's for charity.

Agreed. Writing off a game due to Vrbata's absence seems... rather ridiculous. It changes the odds, but not the point of conceding all. Amusing comment.

If both Vrbata and Kassian are out I wouldn't mind trying something like:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Jensen/Burrows
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows/Jensen
Matthais - Horvat - Hansen
Richardson - Vey - Dorsett

Gives Jensen an ideal situation 5 on 5 even if you limit his icetime and give Burrows some of that icetime later in the game. I like the chemistry the second line has may as well keep them together. Vey can work in a pinch on that line but I prefer in at centre. With 3 possible rookies in the lineup to keep them seperated the bottom 6 will have to be juggled a little, the only constant is Dorsett on the '4th'. I like Richardson with Vey to take any defensive zone faceoff if needed and the rest will fall into place as it may.

Question is does Jensen get Vrbata's spot on the powerplay or does Hansen's RHS get it. If Jensen is in I hope he gets PP time with Bonino giving Bones a trigger man.

I prefer this line-up. I like Dorsett and Hansen on the right side in the bottom6, and Vey back at centre. He belongs there. The temptation would be to keep him at right wing with two right shots out, but that's why Jensen is here.

I would have the LW and C line-up exactly as you have it until Kassian and Vrbata draw back in.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Lol sedins with burrows is gonna be a mistake, dont mess with the 2nd line that has bonino on pace for 40 goals.

and yea horvat with vey and jensen is better than richardson or mathias dragging a line along with slow board play that results in nothing.

horvat hasnt had a bad shift and je se alrsady has played 20 nhl games.

rookie line yea geriatrics we need youth and energy to beat la, not a slow as hell burrows and matthias making horvat look bad. And jensen played last year why would u put him on the 4th

Sedins hansen
higgin bknino burrows 40 goal pace line
vey horvat jensen actually skilled players
matthias richardson dorsett

absolute no brainr lineup with kas and vrbata out

Last edited:

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I say start Lack against LA. You just know Dustin Brown is going to do his favourite wrecking ball impression right into our goaltender and Lack is quite a bit larger than Miller and not as important. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Lack throw a blocker punch Brown's way.

I was thinking the exact same thing for the same reason. Glad to see someone else articulate it.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Lol brown running the goalie with no calls is actually a real reason to start lack i will concede

HockeyHobo73

Oct 3, 2013
I love our prospects and have high expectations for them for the future, but all the people who think having Vey, Horvat and Jensen on a line together, are all nuts. They all would end up being a -3 in 7 minutes of even strength minutes. Even on the Comets the prospects are all spread out evenly amongst the vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad