Pre-Game Talk: GM 15: Vancouver Canucks @ Los Angeles Kings - Nov 8th - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
large.png
@
large.png

(14GP 10-4-0 | 2nd Pacific) (14GP 7-4-3 | 4th Pacific)

WHEN: Saturday, November 8th, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
TV: CBC
RADIO: TSN 1040

Vancouver Canucks (unconfirmed)
8467875.jpg
-
8467876.jpg
-
8468085.jpg

8470274.jpg
-
8474009.jpg
-
8470358.jpg

8473574.jpg
-
8470755.jpg
-
8475223.jpg

8473432.jpg
-
8477500.jpg
-
8471498.jpg

8471303.jpg
-
8475690.jpg

8469465.jpg
-
8469598.jpg

8475598.jpg
-
8474579.jpg

8468011.jpg

8475663.jpg

Los Angeles Kings:

To Be Posted.

King Killers:
Alexander Edler - 22GP, 2G, 11A, 13Pts
Ryan Miller - 7GP, 5W-1L-1OTL, 2.30GAA, .935SVP, 1SO
Daniel Sedin - 48GP, 14G, 23A, 37Pts

Notes:
- Zack Kassian has a lower body injury and is questionable for this game.

Streams:

http://hockeyreality.com/stream.html
http://nutjob.net/hockey
http://www.ifeed2all.eu/type/ice-hockey.html
http://atdhe.ru/hockey
http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/29-NHL-Icehockey

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Watching these games against the Sharks, LA and the Ducks I can see why both Gillis and Benning went for size in Horvat and Virtanen. These Californian teams are all huge. And I don't see them changing any time soon.

Once Horvat, Virtanen and Gaunce are regular NHL'ers we'll be better matched at least physically.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
:( but I just woke up and still want to talk about the Sharks game.

Still can't believe last night's game. The high level this team is functioning at as a unit is mind boggling for this Canucks fan. Even during the peak of the AV years, I don't think the Canucks were playing as well in a system as they are now.

Desjardins' has managed to hide this team's weaknesses and accentuate the strengths. It doesn't hurt having an All-World goalie in net too.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I've already written this game off as a loss, which is alright since we took the first two games of the road trip. Just hoping for a solid effort and some signs of ongoing progress.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I just want to see someone punch Kesler in the face. Bonus points if it's Mad Dog Bieksa.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Both Virtanen and Horvat are 6' tall...

Thought Virtanen was listed 6'1" at the combine? More to the point, I think the above comment was about their weight/frames.

--------

Vanuck - While the game was tied, SJ registered 17 shots to VAN's 6 shots.

That game last night is making me re-think team need. Perhaps another 200 ft player might not be a bad idea.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Thought Virtanen was listed 6'1" at the combine? More to the point, I think the above comment was about their weight/frames.

--------

That game last night is making me re-think team need. Perhaps another 200 ft player might not be a bad idea.

While I agree with your general idea of adding another 200 ft player, at this point the SJ game was more of anomoly (when compared to the other 13 games this season) than anything else.

That said, it's the kind of game that I think a more seasoned Horvat would be a huge difference maker in.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
(Jeez man... I started writing this post in the other thread and just spent 20 minutes to sit there, remember, and write it all down.. press send and get the message the thread is closed... so pissed thinking i lost it... then i hit the back button and all was good again)..

Lots of things to like about how this game went down...

San Jose came out Man vs Boys in the 1st... Miller was Amazing..

- The biggest mistake the Canucks were making in the first period was over-committing to our puck possession style of play.. WAAAY too many wrong/dangerous decisions with puck in our own zone when they could of made the safe play to whip it off the glass and out... and not just Vey... everyone was trying to make a 3 foot pass back that kept getting disrupted, or held on to it for a second or 2 too long and getting stripped etc..
It helped perpetuate the Sharks possession and pressure and our turnovers/gifts made em look a lot more dangerous than they should of been.

With about 9 minutes left in the first was my first real glimmer of hope and optimism outside of Miller's play.. the Sedins started to win the zone time battle their shifts. Obviously very little directed at the net, but they were no longer getting pinned by Couture-Marleau and... (damn it, forget the other guy on their line that matched the Sedins all night).. Daniel eventually had that great chance where went forehand backhand from the back of the net and put it wide.

- 2 Massive high quality snipes by Vrbata and Bonino... 2 perfect placement shots that Niemi had no chance on..

- PP cashed in.

- Saw the full spectrum of Bieksa tonight in the order of The Ugly, the Bad the Good... Bieksa-Stanton were a gong show in the first.. Bieksa was mediocre in the 2nd... and i thought he was our best Dman in the 3rd (or last half of the game).

- Sbisa with his quietest game of the season... i.e. His Best game of the season...
Shocked to see the ice time numbers.. The ultimate compliment to a dman's defensive play is that you aren't noticing him.. One of our best Dmen at skating the puck out of our zone, and he helped relieve a lot of pressure situations in this one.

Overall, Miller and the Canucks weathered the first 40 minutes...
But in the 3rd.. We played outstanding. Our defensive system looked fantastic, the Sharks couldn't get anything going through the neutral zone, and the amount of disruption they were generating took me back to the Montreal game.
Then they got that 3rd period PP on us... and man were we lucky the puck was dancing on them..

- Horvat looked like he belonged. Loved the one board play where he outmuscled the guy, took the puck and turned it up ice.... that was an NHL caliber play right there.

- the forward who stood out as being frustrating to watch was Higgens for me.
- On D obviously was 1st period Bieksa... but at least he settled and looked solid later.
- Tanev - i was pissed at on the PP goal against... he had no business being that high chasing. Other than that, he had a sloppy game, not his best effort.. but a lot of that was the Sharks fault..

But man... i loved how we looked in that 3rd period outside the PK and the last 30 secs... Great once again to see that we have that style of play in us.

That's my Fresh Take.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I just want to see someone punch Kesler in the face. Bonus points if it's Mad Dog Bieksa.

I don't know about you guys but I want to see a really epic Kesler dive.

Did I miss something? I thought Kesler was a Duck? (hint...Kings game on Saturday, Ducks game on Sunday!)

Kings are slumping a bit coming into this one. (I have 5 of them in my Keeper Pool...this is known). Hopefully we can take advantage of that. "That 70s Line" was killing it for them early but they've gone quiet the last few games...hopefully it stays that way.

Expecting Vey to be pumped to play the team that drafted him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks. Thinking the same thing... and we all know who I'm about to bring up. :naughty:

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Oh... I'm confoozeled. My B. Doesn't diminish my wanting to see someone put their fist through *****y injury prone overrated Kesler's face.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Did I miss something? I thought Kesler was a Duck? (hint...Kings game on Saturday, Ducks game on Sunday!)

Kings are slumping a bit coming into this one. (I have 5 of them in my Keeper Pool...this is known). Hopefully we can take advantage of that. "That 70s Line" was killing it for them early but they've gone quiet the last few games...hopefully it stays that way.

Expecting Vey to be pumped to play the team that drafted him.

:laugh: I blame Mahoney for misleading me!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Reason why I'm confident for this Saturday and hopefully Sunday.

getimage.aspx

haven't been this confident in net presence since 06/07 Luongo, pre-flopping/sulking days

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
While I agree with your general idea of adding another 200 ft player, at this point the SJ game was more of anomoly (when compared to the other 13 games this season) than anything else.

That said, it's the kind of game that I think a more seasoned Horvat would be a huge difference maker in.

No question. A developed Horvat would be tailor made.

I agree, it's one game, but what a stark disparity. Just gets your attention. The LA and ANA games should provide further information though.

Thanks. Thinking the same thing... and we all know who I'm about to bring up. :naughty:

Leave it alone. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad