Pre-Game Talk: GM 14: Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - Nov 6th - 7:30PM PST - SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Horvat - Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat - Kassian

Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat

Horvat

"Wow, I can't believe Kassian is on the 4th line. When will he get a chance to succeed?"

I absolutely lost it. :biglaugh:

I realize the lineup is technically posted in the first post, but my facial recognition is not up to par. But it's refreshing to see Horvat change up his looks.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Working on our sides GDT for tomorrows game, if anyone can PM me the probable lineup that'd be great!

Last game it was

Daniel - Henrik - Vrbata
Higgins - Bonino - Vey
Matthias - Richarson - Kassian
Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Stanton
Bieksa - Weber

Miller

But at this point we're not sure whether Horvat and Miller will get the next game. You can just go with the above lineup.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How would fatigue not be a concern for a goalie playing 3 games in 4 nights, with the last game being undoubtably the toughest.

Some very weird rational to validate overplaying Miller.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Willie D would go from being a hero to the next Torts with one decision :laugh:

If he was healthy yes, but if its because kassian seemed to be favoring his leg yet after that hit and needs a maintenance day then no. But i assume they will want him in the lineup against the cali teams if he can go.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
How would fatigue not be a concern for a goalie playing 3 games in 4 nights, with the last game being undoubtably the toughest.

Some very weird rational to validate overplaying Miller.

Miller is the #1 goalie of the Canucks. He's proven it thus far, so I don't believe that one can argue against playing him back-to-back and using him as the team's workhorse. If the team can help him out, then I believe he'll be able to play back to back and even through 'fatigue'.

The guy can play, so you know he'll play, he'll play 'fatigued'! ;)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Miller is the #1 goalie of the Canucks. He's proven it thus far, so I don't believe that one can argue against playing him back-to-back and using him as the team's workhorse. If the team can help him out, then I believe he'll be able to play back to back and even through 'fatigue'.

Just because hes the #1, doesn't mean the Canucks shouldn't try and keep him as rested as possible. They do have a very good backup in Lack.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Just because hes the #1, doesn't mean the Canucks shouldn't try and keep him as rested as possible. They do have a very good backup in Lack.

I appreciate Lack's ability, but I don't think he's able to meet or exceed the test that will be given by SJ, ANA, or LA. He's just not that guy yet. Miller is the best bet to go 2/3 games if the Nucks want a shot at winning the majority of the California games. It's obvious that these are the Nucks truest tests, so it also makes sense to rely on and lean on your best bet. Miller is the best bet at winning any of these games. It makes sense to play him 2/3 at the least for that reason.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Why would you play your starter back-to-back, if you can possibly avoid it.

The Canucks have a backup they can trust, and shouldn't have to coddle with "easy starts"...use him.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
And let's face it... I think we would all rather have Miller get shelled by Ana than Lack...

Miller is the veteran you know will shake it off the minute the game ends...
What would it do to Lack at this stage to go 0-4? Did you see his post-game presser after the Nashville loss? You gotta feel for the guy... But the best thing for him and the team is ride Miller this week and give Lack Ott.

I would just want to get out of a very difficult double header at .500. It's pretty common for NHL teams to give the starting goalie game 1 of a back to back, even if the second game is harder, because 2 points is very valuable. That's why Miller got that creampuff game against Edmonton followed by Lack against Nashville, and Miller got Edmonton while Lack got Tampa Bay. This is totally standard and it's pretty clear Desjardins agrees with that philosophy and isn't going to change it now.

Lock up the 2 points, anything else is gravy.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Why would you play your starter back-to-back, if you can possibly avoid it.

The Canucks have a backup they can trust, and shouldn't have to coddle with "easy starts"...use him.

You would, if he gave you a better chance.

However, I don't believe the team will. I was simply saying that Miller will get 2/3 starts.

And i'm sorry, but so far, Lack hasn't shown that he could win a game against a contender, let alone anyone else. No disrespect to Lack, because not all the losses were his fault, nor is he not a good goalie, but he isn't someone that I trust too much in net right now, and that's just me, not an assertion that he isn't 'good'.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I can't wait to see Vey Horvat Kassian

Horvat already made a blind backhand pass to Hansen, Kassian has been doing it for 30 games now, and Vey has 12 points in his first 31 NHL games, that's unbolievably solid.

Let the Higgins Bonino Burrows line maintain the chemistry, let's have some fun with the kids, stop suffocating them with non flashy players

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

It's typically best to not force any goalie into a 3 games in 4 nights, especially when you have a more than capable goalie behind him.

I guess he doesn't get fatigued? Why play Lack ever again then? Just ride our #1 for the rest of the season since he'll give us the best chance to win.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You would, if he gave you a better chance.

However, I don't believe the team will. I was simply saying that Miller will get 2/3 starts.

And i'm sorry, but so far, Lack hasn't shown that he could win a game against a contender, let alone anyone else. No disrespect to Lack, because not all the losses were his fault, nor is he not a good goalie, but he isn't someone that I trust too much in net right now, and that's just me, not an assertion that he isn't 'good'.

Miller's record doesn't look near as impressive when you take away the non-playoff teams, he still has to prove himself against the big guys in my eyes. He's been playing well and full credit to him as he doesn't choose his opponents, but he's had a butter soft start to the year.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Miller's record doesn't look near as impressive when you take away the non-playoff teams, he still has to prove himself against the big guys in my eyes. He's been playing well and full credit to him as he doesn't choose his opponents, but he's had a butter soft start to the year.

"Insert any goalies name here" doesn't look as impressive when you take away...... You could always use his career numbers, you know, like how you've decided what Sbisa is. Then work your up or down after you watch the games. But sure, Miller has to prove himself.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I can't wait to see Vey Horvat Kassian

Horvat already made a blind backhand pass to Hansen, Kassian has been doing it for 30 games now, and Vey has 12 points in his first 31 NHL games, that's unbolievably solid.

Let the Higgins Bonino Burrows line maintain the chemistry, let's have some fun with the kids, stop suffocating them with non flashy players

amen

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
"Insert any goalies name here" doesn't look as impressive when you take away...... You could always use his career numbers, you know, like how you've decided what Sbisa is. Then work your up or down after you watch the games. But sure, Miller has to prove himself.

His argument is that we need Miller for games against the best teams, I was saying that he hasn't played very many yet for us.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Heck, even in the games where we've been ventilated, I think the team has still tried. Those 6-3 and 7-3 losses likely would have been 6-0 and 7-0 last season.

Win or lose, I've enjoyed both the system/style that Willie D has brought to the table, as well as the work ethic of the team.

This has been the most noteworthy change. We kept ourselves in games despite the likelihood of pulling a comeback being slim. Last year we were so mentality fragile that one bad game sent us on a tailspin. Now I'm actually confident we could lose tomorrow and still play hard against LA and Anaheim.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This whole splitting back to backs is a relatively new concept.. Traditionally or I should say historically running a #1 like Miller for 3 in 4 is not a big deal... At all. ... Or 70 of 82.
- consider the time of year it is.. And consider a potential 4 day rest that would follow.
- this isn't close to overplaying a goaltender. Shouldn't even register on the magical fatigue-o-meter...

Hell.. If Lack can play 17 straight or whatever he did... I'm pretty sure Miller can handle a measly 4 straight starts.

If he wins in SJ he should play in LA... If he wins in LA... He should be a virtual lock to play Ana.

This fatigue thing is hilarious to me considering what other goalies are doing THIS yr even... Forget about what Luongo used to do for us or Lack did for us after Luongo was traded.

----------

Anyways.... I think every knows where everyone stands.. Logic for both sides..

Some think Lack should be a lock to play one of the back-to-back even if Miller is winning.
I think he if he wins, he keeps playing... Like they used to do..

I think we all hope for the same thing at the end of the day.... That The wins rack up in Cali...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad