Pre-Game Talk: GM 14: Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - Nov 6th - 7:30PM PST - SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I would agree if Lack was truly a 1B goalie.
But I have never been on board with the idea of him being a starter with how last season went.

If the options for SJ-LA-Ana-Ott were
Miller-Lack-Miller-Miller
or
Miller-Miller-Miller-Lack

I'd prefer the latter option.
Run with your #1 for the toughest part of your schedule thus far..

It's funny that Auld brought this up at the end of his interview on 1040.

I don't see anyway you start Lack in LA if Miller wins in SJ...
Altho I'm suggesting that you play Miller no matter the results for all 3... if Miller wins both SJ and LA... there has to be a Zero % chance that Lack plays Ana imo... they couldn't possibly justify that play in that scenario.

anyways... we'll see how it plays out.

Coconuts Go!

You give Lack the start in LA because you have a fresher team in front of him and a better chance for him to get a win. You give Miller the Anaheim game with the hopes that he can keep the team in the game if they do struggle a bit in the back to back.

If you look at how Willie has handled the goaltending this season, Miller shuts out the Oilers, but Lack gets the start vs the Lightning the next game (back to back). I don't see Willie changing up and riding Miller through a tough 4 games in 6 nights stretch. Lack gets at least one start in those 4 games and most likely it'll be one of the back to back games.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
You give Lack the start in LA because you have a fresher team in front of him and a better chance for him to get a win. You give Miller the Anaheim game with the hopes that he can keep the team in the game if they do struggle a bit in the back to back.

If you look at how Willie has handled the goaltending this season, Miller shuts out the Oilers, but Lack gets the start vs the Lightning the next game (back to back). I don't see Willie changing up and riding Miller through a tough 4 games in 6 nights stretch. Lack gets at least one start in those 4 games and most likely it'll be one of the back to back games.

You can only think about giving Lack LA if Miller loses in SJ. But would ya wanna?

But if Miller wins SJ... you have to go back to him vs LA. you can't sit your 10-1 goalie with a nights rest for the sake of Lack's emotions....

What if Miller goes to 11-1... why would you wanna put Lack back into the back end of another back to back where the team is 0-3?

Now if Miller loses one or both SJ/LA... then yeah.. Lack may get Ana.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wondering who will sit I think you gotta consider who slides in where? Does Horvat remain the #4 center? Then does Vey stay on at #2 RW or does Burrows return to the spot? If the latter where does Vey fit in the lineup now? And just how important is his spot no the #1 PP?

The possible line 2-4 line combinations are probably:

Higgins-Bonino-Burrows/Vey
Burrows/Matthias-Richardson/Horvat-Kassian
Burrows/Hansen-Horvat/Vey-Dorsett/Hansen/Vey

While everyone has been playing will our bottom two lines have been bleeding goals at 5on5, and except for Vey who went +2 on the #2 line last night they are all negative on the +/-. So if I had to make the call I'd try to balance it out like this:

Higgins-Bonino-Vey
Burrows-Richardson-Kassian
Hansen-Horvat-Dorsett

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
You can only think about giving Lack LA if Miller loses in SJ. But would ya wanna?

But if Miller wins SJ... you have to go back to him vs LA. you can't sit your 10-1 goalie with a nights rest for the sake of Lack's emotions....

What if Miller goes to 11-1... why would you wanna put Lack back into the back end of another back to back where the team is 0-3?

I think Lack gets Anaheim regardless of how well Miller plays against LA. Willie D doesn't seem like the kind to overthink goaltending. The backup plays the latter half of a back to back, or at least that's what we've been told by Willie himself.

Plus I think Lack is going to prove himself eventually. I'm hoping he gets some starts that aren't when the team is tired from having played the night before, but given Miller's record to start the season it makes sense to ride him.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth or, like in our case, go on a Cali road trip.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
I believe horvat was our best faceoff guy in the COL game? If so, we should really put him out here or we will get killed by SJ and LA on the dot.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

I think you are over thinking this a lot. Good teams and coaches will not base who starts in net, in upcoming games based on a win or a loss in the previous game or two. They usually have a schedule/plan that they follow.

It's a general rule to split a back to back between the two goalies. Playing Lack in the 2nd game in front of a tired squad hasn't worked so far this season. Switching the starts and having Lack start the 1st game could possibly give the Canucks a better chance to win both.

In the 3 back to back circumstances this season Willie has split the games and given Lack the 2nd game. I don't see Miller's play of late changing this general plan of splitting the back to backs, nor should it at this point. Lack hasn't played bad this season despite the 0-3 record and shouldn't be shunned the way you are wanting them to do.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Definitely going to be interesting to see who sits for this game.

Up front, assuming Willie D wants to get Burrows back in to the lineup, it's a tough call on who comes out. For me it comes down to either Matthias or Horvat.

-Horvat played well for his debut and as a young player in particular, you'd obviously like to keep that rolling and let him get into a bit of a rhythm...but he is the "new guy" and low man on the totem pole. Hard to say how pulling a vet out for him to slot in would sit with the Veterans, without actually being in the locker room.

-Matthias has been better the last stretch, hustling more consistently at least. Still not the most effective player though (outside of scoring last game on a shot that really shouldn't have gone in :facepalm:). But he has generating some positives on a line that seems to be clicking. He's put in some solid PK minutes as well (though i think Bo could reasonably take those on). Burrows would slot in to his 3rd line LW spot more naturally, without shuffling anything else. And as much as Matthias has hustled...upgrading that spot to Burrows would be...an upgrade. And if Matthias hadn't scored that softie last night, i don't think there would be that much outrage over pulling him out of the lineup for a bit.

I think the other guys all bring a specific element or elements that should keep them in the lineup. Vey is important to the PP and i'd really like to see a continued look at that Higgins-Bonino-Vey line that clicked bigtime last game. Dorsett brings that "sparkplug" energy element and the sandpaper we may want/need for these Cali games in particular. Hansen has been looking like his old self of late and the way he uses his speed both ways is important. Richardson is too important when it comes to faceoffs and PK duties.

Really, with Willie D's mantra on "not changing a winning lineup", maybe it's Burrows that sits, though i think he's probably earned the veteran right to slot back in when permitted.

The other wildcard is if Kassian has any lingering effects from his charleyhorse or whatever the injury turned out to be. Though that's doubtful as he seemed to have shaken it off by the end of the last game anyway, unless it's one of those "feel it the next day" sort of things.

The defence will be interesting as well. Weber had some real issues last game and was a last minute sub in the first place. But again, "don't mess with a winning lineup", and if Sbisa is still ill or feeling less than 100%, no reason to put him in.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Higgins is the most stupidly underrated player in this league. Everytime I watch him play, he does something.

Solid hands, Solid Skater, solid shot, solid passer. He is the perfect example of a player who can do everything, and play anywhere.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Tought call on who to sit. Since BoHo's the rook, it seems like he's the obvious choice. But his face-off skills appear to translate successfully at the NHL level, and we really need help in the dot. I do not envy Willie right now. He's got to make a tough decision on who to scratch. At the end of the day, whatever Willie decides, in moustache we trust.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Don't give Lack LA. Give Miller the first game in a back to back while the team is fresh, against a weaker team to boot. Lock up the 2 points if at all possible, and then the next game is just a bonus. Starting your backup in the first game and then Miller in the second against the best team in the league is very greedy and could easily send you home with 0/4 points. And this is coming from someone who loves Lack and thinks he did very well last year, especially considering he played like 25 games straight while the entire team collapsed last year. Hard to blame the guy when we lost games 1-0 and 2-0 routinely.

Tought call on who to sit. Since BoHo's the rook, it seems like he's the obvious choice. But his face-off skills appear to translate successfully at the NHL level, and we really need help in the dot. I do not envy Willie right now. He's got to make a tough decision on who to scratch. At the end of the day, whatever Willie decides, in moustache we trust.

I think the best option is just to rotate players in and out for Horvat's 9 games. Burrows / Horvat / Matthias / Richardson / Hansen / Vey could take turns sitting. Being a healthy scratch for a single game given the circumstances isn't a big deal. I think the players would understand the coach isn't trying to send a message, but just get the kid his 9 games, so have a night off. You have to think these players are professional enough to understand that and not let it affect them. Plus, given how tight knit our room is, I really don't think they would be terribly upset about it anyway and would be happy for Horvat to play, if he is good enough to play.

Jun 15, 2014

8 for 12 is unheard of for rookies. I know its one game but the way he was winning those face-offs really stood out to me. The kid looks like he knows what he's doing on the dot, getting some clean wins too.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I hope Bo gets at least 1-2 of these California games, they are all strong faceoff teams, and I'd like to see where he stands vs them faceoff wise and how he stands up vs them as opposed to a struggling Avalanche team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
8 for 12 is unheard of for rookies. I know its one game but the way he was winning those face-offs really stood out to me. The kid looks like he knows what he's doing on the dot, getting some clean wins too.

Yeah. More than just the results, which can be completely volatile and almost meaningless in a single game sample like that...the way he was winning (and losing) faceoffs stood out (in a good way). Bo's Ox Strength was very apparent there. He didn't look like a rookie taking draws.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think you are over thinking this a lot. Good teams and coaches will not base who starts in net, in upcoming games based on a win or a loss in the previous game or two. They usually have a schedule/plan that they follow.

I'm sorry but that is just not the case... they may all have a general idea of what they wanna do... but wins and losses dictates ALL.
IF Miller is 11-1... there is zero justification for playing Lack vs the best team in the league. You have to give yourself the best chance to win. He would be 11-1!

The Ana game would be the eve of 4 days off for Miller. i.e. Fatigue is not not a concern.

It's a general rule to split a back to back between the two goalies. Playing Lack in the 2nd game in front of a tired squad hasn't worked so far this season. Switching the starts and having Lack start the 1st game could possibly give the Canucks a better chance to win both.
The best chance to win both is Miller.

In the 3 back to back circumstances this season Willie has split the games and given Lack the 2nd game. I don't see Miller's play of late changing this general plan of splitting the back to backs, nor should it at this point. Lack hasn't played bad this season despite the 0-3 record and shouldn't be shunned the way you are wanting them to do.

Shunned? joking right?

Pushing his start back ONE game to give our #1 a 4 day rest as well as play the 3 toughest rivalry games of the season is not a Shun!
It' s the smart thing to do.
You give Lack a home game with the team rested at the same time Miller gets to refocus after whatever the Ducks do to him.

Last edited:

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah. More than just the results, which can be completely volatile and almost meaningless in a single game sample like that...the way he was winning (and losing) faceoffs stood out (in a good way). Bo's Ox Strength was very apparent there. He didn't look like a rookie taking draws.

There was two face offs late in the game when his line got caught. Won the first clean , then the puck was cleared and iced and he won the next face off perfectly clean.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
And let's face it... I think we would all rather have Miller get shelled by Ana than Lack...

Miller is the veteran you know will shake it off the minute the game ends...
What would it do to Lack at this stage to go 0-4? Did you see his post-game presser after the Nashville loss? You gotta feel for the guy... But the best thing for him and the team is ride Miller this week and give Lack Ott.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am going to react to Horvat now focusing on just his defensive abilities.

I would rather not think or talk about his offensive abilities since they are lacking, but I will critique just his defensive skills for the next few years.

Right now, from watching the game on PTR, he looked like a solid 4th line center. If he keeps it going, he could be a 25/30 point third line center by the end of the year.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
heh... no doubt.

But i would understand if Miller loses to SJ and/or LA.

But i truly will be in disbelief if they 'shun' Miller if he has a 11-1 record to play Lack vs Ana.

He'd be coming off a game the night before and 2 games in 3 nights... For me it's not what rest is upcoming it's what rest he's had before the game.

It's why I'd start Lack vs LA.

Miller has played good this season but not stellar, hi record is more of reflection of the whole teams play as opposed to just his.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He'd be coming off a game the night before and 2 games in 3 nights... For me it's not what rest is upcoming it's what rest he's had before the game.

It's why I'd start Lack vs LA.

Miller has played good this season but not stellar, hi record is more of reflection of the whole teams play as opposed to just his.

And there's something to be said about how a team plays in front of one goaltender vs the other...

Most teams are notorious for changing the way they play in front of different goalies, and we haven't been any different over the years.

There's a reason we keep hearing 'calming presence' as a description from coaches and players and from fans with regard to Miller....
And a little of that is because of a difference we feel/see in comparison of the two goaltenders we have..

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
And there's something to be said about how a team plays in front of one goaltender vs the other...

Most teams are notorious for changing the way they play in front of different goalies, and we haven't been any different over the years.

You can't really use that this year (just yet) as Lack has only started in the 2nd half of back to back games. He's never had a "rested" team in front of him.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Working on our sides GDT for tomorrows game, if anyone can PM me the probable lineup that'd be great!

Horvat - Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat - Kassian

Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat
Horvat - Horvat

Horvat

"Wow, I can't believe Kassian is on the 4th line. When will he get a chance to succeed?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad