Post-Game Talk: [GM 13] Canucks defeat Senators | 6-4 | Horvat (2), Mikheyev, OEL, Studnicka, & Pettersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I am getting the feeling that Bruce isn't having much say in the lineup, decisions of who is to play.
Like the earlier post they do have a roster limit issue and as more players become healthy they will have a whole new and immediate problem.

For many years when a lot of posters were defending some coaches the refrain was "he can only play what he has" and Bruce might be more limited due to the cap, roaster spots, waivers.
This mess isn't Bruce's, this is still Benning's lack of player evaluations, a super crappy drafting ability, prospect development and plain horrible cap control.
This WILL last for another year unless the new kids running the show grow some.

They can't play Rathbone, roster reason's, they can't play Hughes on the right side IMO he hardly plays defence in his own zone, lots of picks of him pushed off the puck, unable to clear the front of the net, blah, blah, blah. He is handcuffed.

There are many reasons/excuses for a lack of roster change, no depth, not enough skill, too old.
Willie failed, Green failed, Bruce is doing what he can with what is there and allowed under the rules

The cap is counted game by game. Imagine when Boeser and Dermott come back? They can't bring them both back at the same time without with moving money

I dont think thats the case.

Very weird because rutherford just confirmed everyone has to stay in there own lane, and coach decides who is in the lineup on his 650 interview. Of course im sure some wont believe him.

Before that though, everything I heard is management wants rathbone up and a chance to play, bruce is not playing him. Unfortunately I think most of this is coaching staff decisions.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Stillman has the worst GA/60 right now. Even below average to bad bottom pairing D should be close to the top of the team because they are playing against worse competition. He averages being on the ice for a goal a game at even strength only playing 12 minutes a night. An average bottom D should only be on the ice for a goal every 2 games in those minutes on average.

I know this is beating a horse that’s been dead since the civil war at this point, but how the f*** does this jobroni keep getting games?

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Not really. They obviously don’t think he can play the LS all that well, and aren’t yet willing to scratch $6M-man Tyler Myers.

Before anyone flips their shit, I don’t condone the decision but it’s pretty obvious. They also think Stillman is better on the LS than Rathbone for … reasons.
SIZE. TOUGHNESS.

Some mumbo jumbo to justify piss poor decisions. Stillman is over his head unfortunately and will get shat on because the coach is showcasing his dinosaur like tendencies.

Reactions: LordBacon

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Not really. They obviously don’t think he can play the LS all that well, and aren’t yet willing to scratch $6M-man Tyler Myers.

Before anyone flips their shit, I don’t condone the decision but it’s pretty obvious. They also think Stillman is better on the LS than Rathbone for … reasons.

Rathbone-Myers. It'll be genius, hockey or comedic. Either way, let's do it

Reactions: TruGr1t

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Rathbone is never gonna get a chance here.
Not saying he's Cale Makar 2.0 but come on this isnt even fair.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm not loving Stillman's deployment either, but let's also give Bruce some credit where it's due.

Last year he turned Highmore and Lammikko into a competent 4th line.

This year, with Aman, Joshua and Studnicka I think we suddenly have a very competent 4th line. So it seems like he's good at giving guys confidence, and being direct about exactly what he wants from them because I think both are how you turn fringe players into somewhat useful players (not turning water into wine of course).

So if he thinks he can do the same with Stillman, I give him a little leeway.

But Myers with Stillman is a tire fire, and the problem is that there is nobody else to hide either of them with.

I like our top two pairings right now (considering our personnel) but our 3rd pairing has no hockey sense out there. Both need to play with a cerebral player they can play off of, together they are chaos.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I find it very hard to believe this is going to be our lineup tomorrow, it makes absolutely no sense

Reactions: geebaan and Peen

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I dont think thats the case.

Very weird because rutherford just confirmed everyone has to stay in there own lane, and coach decides who is in the lineup on his 650 interview. Of course im sure some wont believe him.

Before that though, everything I heard is management wants rathbone up and a chance to play, bruce is not playing him. Unfortunately I think most of this is coaching staff decisions.

Well... To be fair to the doubters, Rutherford also said we need to get younger and we need cap space, and then gave out a retirement contract to Miller, that starts when he is 30 years old.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
No way!
Did I-mac seriously blame Garland???

He's play it text book
he has leverage and inside body position
stick in lane to prevent the pass to the slot
keeping him to the outside

Yes, he singled out Garland as getting beat on the play, which didn't even happen. No mention of Myers, Stillman or Dries who were the three culpable parties.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Yes, he singled out Garland as getting beat on the play, which didn't even happen. No mention of Myers, Stillman or Dries who were the three culpable parties.
FAQ probably pushing a Garland trade

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Why does Bruce continue to play the two slowest wingers with probably our weakest defensive C? It's a recipe for diaster. I mean, sure that line had a couple of good games last year but sometimes you gotta read the writing on the wall.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Why does Bruce continue to play the two slowest wingers with probably our weakest defensive C? It's a recipe for diaster. I mean, sure that line had a couple of good games last year but sometimes you gotta read the writing on the wall.

I'd swap Mikheyev and Boeser.

Get some speed on that Miller line and get someone with hands to take advantage of Kuz & EP passing.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'd swap Mikheyev and Boeser.

Get some speed on that Miller line and get someone with hands to take advantage of Kuz & EP passing.
I do agree in a broad sense, but Mikheyev has not been skating well since his injury. Has been playing the right way with his consistently good D and filling lanes but hasn’t looked fast.

Reactions: Nucker101

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
WHEN: November 8th, 4:00PM PST

WHERE: Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, ON
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Garland-Horvat-Podkolzin
Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Pearson-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Aman-Studnicka

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Bear
Myers-Stillman

???

Predators Line-Up:

???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???

???-???
???-???
???-???

???
So now we're playing Stillman on RD and Myers on LD? They're really trying to tank I see.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Easy W. Infact i am just gunna say it. We are going to win out this trip. Leafs Always play down to us. Everytime. Sens are bad. Montreal are tankers. Bruins are bound to lose sometimes and the whole situation will shake em to be beatable. Buffalo are also beatable.

• Haha
Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
This road trip makes or breaks our season. If you are on team tank, you gotta love these Boudreau line changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad