Post-Game Talk: [GM 13] Canucks defeat Senators | 6-4 | Horvat (2), Mikheyev, OEL, Studnicka, & Pettersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
What is Pearson supposed to say in that split second: "Hey, between the three of you who are supposed to be doing the down-low defending, can one of you pick up Neiderreiter?"
Yes, and it wasn't a split second (≈ 4s) but it definitely was "his guy" to hand-over.

Don't know how you are used to playing though, so who knows.

Wouldn't have mattered if either Stillman or Myers would have played the situation "not terrible".

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Im going to go on a limb here and say Miller's line threads water this game. 50/50 hockey.

Stillman still in makes zero sense...

If you watch this goal for instance, which was the tying goal against nashville
and you had a film session and you see, wow this stillman Myers pairing is really not it.

like this goal epitomizes the Myers-Sillman pairing in a nutshell
-puck watching
-Barely skating
- Over aggressive on players who are ZERO threat

1667853319633.png

So smol

Rathbones agent probably demanding a trade as we speak.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im going to go on a limb here and say Miller's line threads water this game. 50/50 hockey.

Stillman still in makes zero sense...

Maybe they do tread water, it’s more about this wild line juggling with zero accountability.

You can take positives from losses

Boudreau and this management seem next level stubborn to double down on the worst part of these roster decisions.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not an easy schedule

Ottawa doesn't match well for the Canucks.
Young, angry and fast fast fast.

Speed kills and the Sens have speed top to bottom and well as having a bad attitude due to a losing streak.

The heat is on the Canucks, self inflicted by pre-season predictions and a season start that has them closer to last place than a playoff spot.

This and the next 4 games might decide much bigger moves later.

I think Ottawa takes this, if could be a runaway.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Not making excuses for Boudreau here but hasn't this been a recurring issue with a line of coaches in Vancouver. Meritocracy just doesn't exist here.

yeah, it has been going for awhile. Like a really long time.

Just very funny that we have won 2 games in a row once, and that was when Boudreau insisted on blowing up lines the most.

Reactions: wonton15

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Lose 2 in a row and idiot Bruce still has Stillman in the starting rotation and now sits Hogs

Definitely time to move on from Bruce. He is letting PA determine the starting lineup

Hope we get destroyed on this trip in order to force change

Pathetic franchise is incapable of developing players.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This is peak ineptitude, and it is frankly hilarious.

-That stillman-Myers pairing is shit.
-And what is Hoglander suppose to think after a strong outing? It is such a weird message to send.
Accountability isn’t a thing in this organization and that’s why they are where they are.
I am getting the feeling that Bruce isn't having much say in the lineup, decisions of who is to play.
Like the earlier post they do have a roster limit issue and as more players become healthy they will have a whole new and immediate problem.

For many years when a lot of posters were defending some coaches the refrain was "he can only play what he has" and Bruce might be more limited due to the cap, roaster spots, waivers.
This mess isn't Bruce's, this is still Benning's lack of player evaluations, a super crappy drafting ability, prospect development and plain horrible cap control.
This WILL last for another year unless the new kids running the show grow some.

They can't play Rathbone, roster reason's, they can't play Hughes on the right side IMO he hardly plays defence in his own zone, lots of picks of him pushed off the puck, unable to clear the front of the net, blah, blah, blah. He is handcuffed.

There are many reasons/excuses for a lack of roster change, no depth, not enough skill, too old.
Willie failed, Green failed, Bruce is doing what he can with what is there and allowed under the rules

The cap is counted game by game. Imagine when Boeser and Dermott come back? They can't bring them both back at the same time without with moving money

Reactions: Indiana

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
We'll play hard, but stupid. We'll be "hard to play against" along the boards, but easy to play against in open ice.

That is Canuck hockey.

The only question: how many times will the Myers/Stillman pairing get torched by un-checked tap-ins?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I am getting the feeling that Bruce isn't having much say in the lineup, decisions of who is to play.
Like the earlier post they do have a roster limit issue and as more players become healthy they will have a whole new and immediate problem.

For many years when a lot of posters were defending some coaches the refrain was "he can only play what he has" and Bruce might be more limited due to the cap, roaster spots, waivers.
This mess isn't Bruce's, this is still Benning's lack of player evaluations, a super crappy drafting ability, prospect development and plain horrible cap control.
This WILL last for another year unless the new kids running the show grow some.

They can't play Rathbone, roster reason's, they can't play Hughes on the right side IMO he hardly plays defence in his own zone, lots of picks of him pushed off the puck, unable to clear the front of the net, blah, blah, blah. He is handcuffed.

There are many reasons/excuses for a lack of roster change, no depth, not enough skill, too old.
Willie failed, Green failed, Bruce is doing what he can with what is there and allowed under the rules

The cap is counted game by game. Imagine when Boeser and Dermott come back? They can't bring them both back at the same time without with moving money

I know cap has nothing to do with stillman still being the lineup.
That is a decision Burroughs and Rathbone are on the roster.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Stillman hasn't been good, but maybe he seems to be figuring it out in practice etc.

The dirty little secret is that currently we would be far better with Burroughs in the line-up than Myers. His ceiling isn't as high, but Myers has been utterly terrible all season. Awful, awful puck decisions, getting hemmed in. Many goals against on the PK it's been Myers chasing way too high.
We need last year's Myers back.

Bear has looked good enough to replace Myers in our top 4 (such as it is).
Personally I would be looking into trading Myers as I think he still has a decently high ceiling (not in terms of potential, but in terms of how he might look with the right partner on a more structured team like Boston). I expect he probably has some value where if we take back a short term not great contract (like Alex Kerfoot or something) we might get a pick as well, and I think our team (when healthy) is currently better without Myers in the lineup.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Stillman hasn't been good, but maybe he seems to be figuring it out in practice etc.

The dirty little secret is that currently we would be far better with Burroughs in the line-up than Myers. His ceiling isn't as high, but Myers has been utterly terrible all season. Awful, awful puck decisions, getting hemmed in. Many goals against on the PK it's been Myers chasing way too high.
We need last year's Myers back.

Bear has looked good enough to replace Myers in our top 4 (such as it is).
Personally I would be looking into trading Myers as I think he still has a decently high ceiling (not in terms of potential, but in terms of how he might look with the right partner on a more structured team like Boston). I expect he probably has some value where if we take back a short term not great contract (like Alex Kerfoot or something) we might get a pick as well, and I think our team (when healthy) is currently better without Myers in the lineup.
Yup, being able to get a decent future asset(pick or young player) for Myers would be ideal, take on an expiring cap dump if need be. Bear turning out to be a decent 2nd pairing dman would also be massive.

Tricky part is Myers' limited NTC

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Garland had good body position and a stick on puck to keep everything to the outside
Stillman is like I’ll skate right in front of you for no reason.

I also love how Myers was actually going to follow them behind the net, thinks twice about it, but is too late back and Nino has already scored.

Thay just bleed goals and scoring against, and provide nothing in return.

Not only that but both take a lot of penalties. Especially Myers. That pairing is good for 2 penalties a game right now, which will almost be a goal a game the way we kill penalties.

Everybody talks about the PK being a problem, but the bigger problem is we are taking too many penalties. Were 2nd in the league in pim, and the first place team only has 2 more with a game in hand. I think the biggest problem is that we have too many players that are in the wrong position or are too slow and behind the play, and either get beat or take a penalty. There is definitely a correlation between speed and pim. I don't think its a coincidence that players like Schenn, Myers and Pearson are taking the bulk of the penalties while Pettersson, Mikheyev, Hughes, Podkolzin, and Kuzmenko have 4 pim between them this year. Hughes may have a lot of flaws defensively, but his speed allows him to stay in the play to either intercept or be in the right position for a stick check.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Not really. They obviously don’t think he can play the LS all that well, and aren’t yet willing to scratch $6M-man Tyler Myers.

Before anyone flips their shit, I don’t condone the decision but it’s pretty obvious. They also think Stillman is better on the LS than Rathbone for … reasons.

Reactions: geebaan and Nomobo

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
With Boeser only being on injured reserve (ie not declared long term so no cap relief) the only addition to the cap if both came back would be Dermott's $1.5 million. Sending any two players to Abbotsford to create the two roster positons to get Boeser and Dermott back on the active roster would clear enough money.

Reactions: theguardianII

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I didn't really expect to look around and think the left-side of the defense might be a problem, but it looks like it is at the moment.

But hey, maybe if we get the right mix of bottom-pairing defensemen, it will miraculous make-up for the fact we have only a bunch of bottom-pairing defensemen. Probably not, though.
If we throw enough shit on the wall... something is bound to stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad