GDT: [GM 10] Canucks vs. Devils | Tue., Nov. 1st, 7pm, Sportsnet 360 | Battle of the Hugheses/Reverse Retro Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
To be at a 94 point pace by American Thanksgiving (23 points by the 20 game mark) - they would need to go 8-1-1 after tonight to achieve 17 points in 10 games.
That made me a bit dizzy....should I be concerned that made me a bit dizzy?
True though! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Moving both was the play. Honestly, the rebuild could’ve been done really good with the pieces.

Miller, Horvat, Garland, Boeser. You can’t tell me that base of trades doesn’t setup the Canucks decently for the future

Moving both was probably optimal, but base competency said to trade Miller and keep Horvat, at the least. Management failed the basic competency test. The Miller contract was moronic the moment someone thought about it.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Don’t worry guys this team is great! We just need to add a few more pieces and the cup is ours!
That's what I keep saying but no one listens. What the heck is wrong with fans on this board???!!!
You won't find a better pair to anchor your defense than OEL and Myers. The cohesiveness of this team is over the top and it's only a matter of time until things click.

Trade that first round for some help on the wings ... maybe JVR?
Resign Horvat for whatever it takes and we're golden.

It's a fantastic time to be a Canucks fan. Good to be alive friends!

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
So they sign Horvat cool. That means they 100% lose Garland and Kuzmenko and replace them with…..cheaper and hopefully just as good players?

Good luck.
Like I said, I'm not saying it's the right move. It's the wrong move, actually. It would be locking in this core for good. The ballsy move would be to dangle Horvat at the deadline at 50% retention to a contender if this team still sucks and see what you can get for him. But then again, I said that about Miller last TDL as well.

But I don't think the front office is thinking the same way we are, nor do I think they're allowed to even entertain the idea of moving Horvat. Again, would love to be proven wrong.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to feel sorry for people who pay a small fortune to go and watch these games at Rogers Arena. Another lifeless performance by the home team. When they went down 0-2 in the first period, they might as well turned off the lights in the arena and let people get home early.

The sad reality is the OEL, Myers and Pearson simply don't skate well enough any more to be anything but role players for the Canucks. Unfortunately they consume close to $17m under the salary cap. You really can't expect to compete when you have that much cap room tied up in declining assets.

Lol....just for context, the Knights won their ninth game of the season and the Oilers just wracked up their 7th win. The Canucks are stuck on two wins. Canucks are still on track to be done like dinner around the U.S. Thanksgiving later this month.

Reactions: AD16 and mossey3535

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This team cannot lose on Thursday, it’s Bieksa’s night and he’s a fan favourite. Another L would just pour massive Boo’s

This team needs changes, asap

Reactions: mossey3535

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Moving both was probably optimal, but base competency said to trade Miller and keep Horvat, at the least. Management failed the basic competency test. The Miller contract was moronic the moment someone thought about it.
Yeah moving Miller was extremely obvious. I would’ve expected Bo to stay for half the season, and assess where the team is at. Make a decision from there.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
reminiscent of 2021 and torts year after new years

disjointed, listless, weak and nobody seems to like each other (obvious for a while now)

Without Hughes going this team can't generate enough chances to outscore their problems. Without Pettersson going they can't tilt the play in their favor (disappeared in the second half which is coincidentally when the Canucks stopped playing)

Without Demko going there is no team.

Stillman has been outscored 2-7 5vs5. Highly mobile, but the break out is a complete mess with him on the ice and is a 0 on offense. Should be the 7 and never in over Burroghs

Mikahyev flubs on so many chances. Also don't really see his speed unleashed on this team

I like Joshua and Bear. Bruce should give them more ice time

Hog and Pod are broken

Myers and OEL might as well have been dead

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I hate to make excuses but this team has never recovered from the pandemic season. It’s almost like a trauma that needs a total blow up for all parties involved. Hughes, Petterson, Miller have not looked that good in the 2 seasons since, despite some nice stat lines.
Yep. It's not necessarily an excuse but the timeline is right.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Miller didn't magically go from a 60-point player to an 80-99 pt player when he joined us, we are just the only team dumb enough to let him quarterback our PP1. I am glad we let him pad his stats on drop passes all year so we could sign him long-term at an inflated rate.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Could be 7-1 with Demko letting pucks squeeze through his body

Wonder what he just isn't feeling right now. Because even fundamentals aside, he doesn't let pucks through him like this normally. New equipment issue? Lingering injury?
maybe he doesn’t give a shit cause he understands the salary cap

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I hate to make excuses but this team has never recovered from the pandemic season. It’s almost like a trauma that needs a total blow up for all parties involved. Hughes, Petterson, Miller have not looked that good in the 2 seasons since, despite some nice stat lines.

I dont think that is the case.

Losing our leadership in Edler, Tanev and Markström is where I would point as the moment that this team became a fragile bunch.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
at least let teams buy out contracts without a penalty. its a sick joke that GMs can be desperate to save their job and can hamstring a franchise for years. this is terrible for the nhl. even without a gm's blame, it just sucks anyways and lowers the quality of the game. if a player isnt worth his contract then a team should be allowed to keep paying him but remove him from the cap. the best possible product should be on display
Boom.
That's what I keep saying but no one listens. What the heck is wrong with fans on this board???!!!
You won't find a better pair to anchor your defense than OEL and Myers. The cohesiveness of this team is over the top and it's only a matter of time until things click.

Trade that first round for some help on the wings ... maybe JVR?
Resign Horvat for whatever it takes and we're golden.

It's a fantastic time to be a Canucks fan. Good to be alive friends!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Team played pretty well for 28 minutes until the Schenn-Woods incident. Probably outchanced NJ, were unfortunate to be down 2-0. Then they have a terrible PP, give up a SHG, and then absolutely capitulate. This team needs a coaching change.

- best news by far was the performance of Bear. Was our best defender, skated very well - better than what I remembered from Edmonton and Seattle - moved the puck well, barely put a foot wrong defensively. Looked like a 2nd pairing RHD. If that's what he can bring to the table most nights, getting him for a 5th is a steal.

- worst news was OEL-Myers. Absolute trainwreck again. Caved in. OEL must be hurt based on how he couldn't get up after a nothing contact in the 3rd, but TAKE HIM OUT OF THE LINEUP. Instead of sitting a guy who is killing them, they're overplaying him because he's the most experienced guy the have.

- Hughes was alright in his return except on the PP where he was awful.

- Pettersson line was the only line that was working. Looked like earlier games this year - lots of chances, no results. Kuzmenko was the team's best forward by a mile.

- Miller-Horvat line had a good first shift of the game and then went AWOL most of the rest of the night. Hooked up for 2 PP goals - where Horvat is on fire since the middle of last year - but zero intensity from Miller. Garland invisible.

- bottom 2 lines presented zero offensive threat. Studnicka was pretty anonymous. Podkolzin is regressing badly.

- Tanner Pearson was a -3 and in the box for a 4th goal after taking a terrible o-zone penalty. Horrendous. With the talk about waiving guys, you wonder if he's the first guy on the chopping block.

- Demko continues to fight the puck badly. Just not tracking it at all. Martin is the better option right now.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Like I said, I'm not saying it's the right move. It's the wrong move, actually. It would be locking in this core for good. The ballsy move would be to dangle Horvat at the deadline at 50% retention to a contender if this team still sucks and see what you can get for him. But then again, I said that about Miller last TDL as well.

But I don't think the front office is thinking the same way we are, nor do I think they're allowed to even entertain the idea of moving Horvat. Again, would love to be proven wrong.
I agree and honestly we all know Aquilini is the problem so we know what the outcome will be.

It’s a waste of everyone’s time to even discuss what moves should be done because it’s obvious it’s going to be a shitty on-the-fly retool that won’t work.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
How many 1st round picks are you prepared to trade?
Clearly, as many as it takes. Look, picks rarely turn into anything, so better to trade them for real value. Same with any and all guys that have recently been drafted. Studnika looks amazing and that 6'3" defender probably won't turn into anything and if he does, most certainly the Canucks will be at the top of the league and likely have a couple of cups on the mantle by then.

The guys are just a little rusty. The best players sometimes take a while to get going. Those last two games were very impressive. I'm not worried.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
To be at a 94 point pace by American Thanksgiving (23 points by the 20 game mark) - they would need to go 8-1-1 after tonight to achieve 17 points in 10 games.
Yeah. The season is over. Just once I want to see this franchise do the right thing. Admit it’s over and take the necessary steps to get as high as possible in the draft

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I wonder if they wait until we lose Thursday after Bieksa night to make a change. Pearson waived? Coaching change?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Clearly, as many as it takes. Look, picks rarely turn into anything, so better to trade them for real value. Same with any and all guys that have recently been drafted. Studnika looks amazing and that 6'3" defender probably won't turn into anything and if he does, most certainly the Canucks will be at the top of the league and likely have a couple of cups on the mantle by then.

The guys are just a little rusty. The best players sometimes take a while to get going. Those last two games were very impressive. I'm not worried.
Is this satire?

• Love
Reactions: B-rock and geebaan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad