Glendale: Still incompetent, and now attemping to wiggle out of the lease (Post 200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Rhonda Pearson piggie backs off of Wood and Leblanc in ripping COG (specifically Mayor Weiers) a new one:

Rhonda Pearson, you are a Goddess.

Best of luck to all of you Yotes fans throughout this crap. You deserve so much better. Stay true!

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I don't understand why coyotes need the 15mill from the CG, why not just bring in another partner to pay the 15 mill without any type of taxpayer subsidy?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rhonda Pearson piggie backs off of Wood and Leblanc in ripping COG (specifically Mayor Weiers) a new one:

Meh. The emotional stuff is a little silly. Good pain point press on the super bowl events being in scottsdale and only showing up to glendale for the game itself. That city can't get out of its own way.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Well at least we can get some some key questions answered about the future of the franchise.

If the ownership group wants to relocate, here is a good time to set the wheels in motion (although the NHL may not be so keen)

If they are committed to keep the NHL in Arizona, here is the opportunity to search for a long term, successful resolution.

On a complete side minor note, this won't look good for the World Junior bid.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
well at least we can get some some key questions answered about the future of the franchise.

If the ownership group wants to relocate, here is a good time to set the wheels in motion (although the nhl may not be so keen)

if they are committed to keep the nhl in arizona, here is the opportunity to search for a long term, successful resolution.

On a complete side minor note, this won't look good for the world junior bid.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Question about Suns wanting a new arena; what happens to Talking Stick Arena downtown? Does it get leveled? I mean, how many 16kay venues does this area actually need? Seems like competition will be too stiff.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I should probably mention the reason why I post in this thread: my dad has a trailer in Apache Junction on the east side of the Valley. Also, I plan on retiring to Phoenix Valley sometime within the next 3 to 4 years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It seems like political grandstanding, to me, or someone called in a favor. It's not very well thought out. The amount of risk here is simply not worth it. They think this will force a renegotiation but it's not going to. Weiers seemed to be fully aware of that when he said "I hope there's a way the Coyotes can stay."

Ice Arizona won't renegotiate at this point. That was pretty clear to me from the video. Glendale is so stupid.

Yup, a bunch of two faced corrupt red neck politicians.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Before we even knew about this vote, plenty of Coyotes Fans were bashing pretty much everyone in the franchise except for certain players and said relocation is 100% certain. Now that Glendale didn't vote the way the Coyotes Fans wanted, we're seeing now a 180 on the view of others in the franchise and now put all of the blame of relocation on Glendale? Talk about inconsistency and total major short sighted knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
"It looks like there's an opportunity to actually bring the Coyotes now," said Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski, whose district includes parts of downtown. "I'm trying to reach out to them and have those conversations. It will be myself and the mayor working on it. But nothing has been set up yet."

https://twitter.com/brianphenry

Mayor of Phoenix's reaction to Glendale news:

Finally, a couple of politicians with brains. If the Coyotes leave because of this, it will hurt Maricopa County for years, not just Glendale, and these two politicians understand that.

MP

Feb 8, 2008

Well isn't that just outstanding. How much money would the WJC have brought in, out of curiosity? What was the expectation? I'd like to catalog the full extent of this missed opportunity, for future reference.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Question about Suns wanting a new arena; what happens to Talking Stick Arena downtown? Does it get leveled? I mean, how many 16kay venues does this area actually need? Seems like competition will be too stiff.

They should figure out how to build it close and then level the current building for parking. That's the main reason I hate going down town for events. Parking is a huge expense and the time it takes to get to your car and then fight the traffic to get onto the freeway is nuts. That's what people completely ignore about our arena here. You can be to your car and on your way home on the freeway in minutes. Somehow nobody factors that in to the travel time when comparing down town to Glendale. More money in your pocket, significantly less time/stress getting in and out of the parking lot and two easy freeway access points virtually connected to the arena.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Coyotes aren't moving to Talking Stick. The City of Phoenix is not going to give the Coyotes 15m per year. The Coyotes can't survive without that subsidy. In fact, they'll just be a tenant at TSA, which will cut into their revenue. So no free money, and a chunk taken out of revenue. That's not tenable for a team that loses money even with a direct subsidy and with getting to keep all of their gains. The Coyotes are not moving to Phoenix. They're staying in Glendale or they are leaving Arizona.

Don't be so sure. Phoenix knows what the Coyotes need in order to survive.

Any doubt that he actually wants to own and operate an NHL team in Arizona is now dead and gone. The guy is not scamming. It's obvious he really wanted to make the Coyotes work in Arizona for real. What a shame.

I'm glad you see that. I have thought that since day one, and hope the rest of the skeptics now see it also. Now as fans, we have to step up and really support this team more than ever. We have to help them fight the morons of the COG. Why not start a class action suit against the COG? We just need a bit of leadership from a couple of well heeled Coyote ticket holders. I really like the way the Coyotes responded, and I think the residents of Arizona have to be heard also.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He relinquished his position as city attorney but remained an employee of the city under a different title until october 1st.

He was still there...

If they are using this as a basis to void the lease, it will never happen in a court of law.

diceone

Aug 14, 2006
tempe
Is there some reason why these fools haven't been recalled yet!?!

Screen-shot-2013-10-18-at-10.09.17-AM.png

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Because that's still a cost rather than revenue.

what is that supposed to mean?....why should the taxpayers front the costs of a private sports enterprise owned by millionaires?...get another partner to pay for the cost of operating a private sports enterprise( ergo he then has access to the revenue to offset the cost of running/operating) not unlike the other sports franchises in America.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

The franchise has a hard time trying to get the ASG back in Arizona for quite sometime. Safe to say we weren't going to get the juniors or even the Frozen Four here regardless if the vote happened or not. Hell, our ownership couldn't even get the Rattlers to come here. Sure, the Rattlers aren't a big draw but chances are neither the WJC or Frozen Four would have been a big draw too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad