Glendale: Still incompetent, and now attemping to wiggle out of the lease (Post 200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
How strong is Glendale's legal case in canceling deal with Coyotes?

Coyotes outside counsel Nick Wood delivered a potentially damaging blow to the council's effort when he reminded it that it had waived any conflict of interest concerns for Tindall, a point that councilmember Gary Sherwood confirmed Wednesday night from Salt Lake City, where he was attending a League of Cities meeting.

"If they waived the conflict of interest issues then the Coyotes will have a firm leg to stand on," Lindstrom said.
Lindstrom also questioned how Glendale would prove Tindall had significant involvement in the deal.

Smith, who once served as city attorney for Bishop, Calif., said Glendale should be concerned with another potential ramification of its actions.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/glendale-votes-to-cancel-lease-deal-with-coyotes-061015

I am going to keep an eye out for a lawyer who thinks Glendale has a shot.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Anthony is on 98.7 right now. Mentioned there is a cure period in which they would have 30 days to fix any breeches with the contract. Glendale isn't using that obviously. Said he would be surprised if they didn't get their temporary relief order. He went on to discuss how he wont trust the council in the future.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Anthony is on 98.7 right now. Mentioned there is a cure period in which they would have 30 days to fix any breeches with the contract. Glendale isn't using that obviously.

Yeah, the cure period is in most legal contracts. I just can not believe how the COG have gone about this. Totally incompetent to the fullest degree.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Is there some reason why these fools haven't been recalled yet!?!

It's not the job of these "fools" to answer to the Coyotes Fans but answer to the those who live in and vote in Glendale. If you don't like the way the vote went, them blame those who voted in these politicians as these same people are supposed to do what the voters want them to do.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
It's not the job of these "fools" to answer to the Coyotes Fans but answer to the those who live in and vote in Glendale. If you don't like the way the vote went, them blame those who voted in these politicians as these same people are supposed to do what the voters want them to do.

What are you trying to accomplish in this thread? What is your opinion? Do you think Glendale is justified in voiding this contract, based on the legitimacy of the technicality? If so, why (actually curious, I'd like to hear evidence from the other side that this is a fair dispute).

I've seen multiple posts just criticizing the emotional reaction of a fan base that has been traumatized repeatedly for years, which does really nothing here.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Up here in Canada we're seeing a lot of information about this, but there is not a lot of depth to it.

Why did city council take this action, what are council's reasons?

And, do they have a legal leg to stand on? Is there an out clause in the lease agreement? Or an out based on financial performance?

Perhaps somebody could provide me a link to local news coverage for me to better understand the why of it all.

This seems like a really drastic and unusual step to take just a couple of years after the agreement was signed. I can see this kind of action being taken five or six years into the agreement if the finances weren't working, etc.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
them blame those who voted in these politicians as these same people are supposed to do what the voters want them to do.

Yes, because politicians always vote in accordance with the will of their constituents. I mean, no one representing Glendale/Westgate businesses showed up to defend the Coyotes last night. Oh wait a sec...

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Perhaps somebody could provide me a link to local news coverage for me to better understand the why of it all.

Aside from annoyance, or seething anger, this is generally my response. I haven't gotten a great answer, and the Glendale council that voted for this resolution didn't really provide a good reason. They of course threw around the legality, but the law rarely matters to politicians. Aside from being on the hook for $, why now? What changed, and what turned it this way?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Many Coyote fans are residents of Glendale who may have voted for these ''fools'' as you put it. When running, these ''fools'' promise the moon.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Aside from annoyance, or seething anger, this is generally my response. I haven't gotten a great answer, and the Glendale council that voted for this resolution didn't really provide a good reason. They of course threw around the legality, but the law rarely matters to politicians. Aside from being on the hook for $, why now? What changed, and what turned it this way?

That has been my biggest question since this story started circulating.

I don't have a vested interest either way and have no understanding of the politics of Glendale, but on the surface - this is an awful way to do business.

The NHL is in the middle of its signature event of the season - the Stanley Cup final - and now they're being forced to deal with this issue? Also, the Coyotes have the third pick in the draft and are in an interesting position to do something exciting in the trade market, or draft a potential franchise player. And now this?

It's almost like it has been designed to cause maximum embarrassment to the league and the team.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
What are you trying to accomplish in this thread? What is your opinion? Do you think Glendale is justified in voiding this contract, based on the legitimacy of the technicality? If so, why (actually curious, I'd like to hear evidence from the other side that this is a fair dispute).

I've seen multiple posts just criticizing the emotional reaction of a fan base that has been traumatized repeatedly for years, which does really nothing here.

I'm a Coyotes Fan who is calling it like I see it. I don't say what others want to hear as I'm interested in the truth. If you think all Coyotes Fans are on the same page with the events that have gone on over the years, then you're mistaken. I don't want to see the Coyotes go, but even before this vote took place I had my doubts about the team staying.

Right now there's too much speculation going around over who has a case and who doesn't or even what the outcome is going to be in court. Who knows what's going to happen. For those of you who are so sure you know what's going to happen in court should re-visit history here with the bankruptcy proceedings. I remember when so many of us believed the court was going to throw out the bankruptcy claim filled by Jerry Moyes but that obviously never happened.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Many Coyote fans are residents of Glendale who may have voted for these ''fools'' as you put it. When running, these ''fools'' promise the moon.

Accordingly I'd definitely wager you that none of these fools would have been elected if they explicitly ran on a platform to hamstring or terminate the city's relationship with the Coyotes.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
I'm a Coyotes Fan who is calling it like I see it. I don't say what others want to hear as I'm interested in the truth. If you think all Coyotes Fans are on the same page with the events that have gone on over the years, then you're mistaken. I don't want to see the Coyotes go, but even before this vote took place I had my doubts about the team staying.

Right now there's too much speculation going around over who has a case and who doesn't or even what the outcome is going to be in court. Who knows what's going to happen. For those of you who are so sure you know what's going to happen in court should re-visit history here with the bankruptcy proceedings. I remember when so many of us believed the court was going to throw out the bankruptcy claim filled by Jerry Moyes but that obviously never happened.

Apologies, but I didn't question that you weren't a fan (god knows, we don't need that). Just why you were criticizing the gut reaction of a bunch of impassioned lunatics... repeatedly.

It's fair you want to see it play out. A lot of us do. My issue, and it seems the issues most of us have, is it doesn't make sense logically. This either means Glendale leadership is incompetent (its local elected politicians... totally possible), or we don't have the facts. I'm annoyed that we were told by Glendale leadership last night that we "dont have all the information", but then weren't told additional details. This type of governing is frustrating.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I'm really positive that the citizens of Glendale wanted Camelback Ranch developed and set up for absolute sweetheart deals for the Dodgers and White Sox. I'm sure the citizens of Glendale are thrilled by the $13 million a year that the city loses on that development. I'm also really sure that they'd be absolutely pleased as punch by the way the Bidwill family has made the city its E.L. James-caliber submissive in every facet of that relationship, because maybe they'll be able to write their names in the concrete of the parking garage Glendale has to build for UoP Stadium.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Last night was a farce, a little passion play put on by two groups of self-interested thieves and liars - the politicians and the businessmen. I don't believe for an instant that IceArizona is the fully-wronged party here - the way Leblanc keeps saying that the Fortress payments are no longer an issue absolutely does nothing to contradict the idea that prior to Barroway's buyout, the team likely WAS using Glendale's money to pay down their debt and therefore were in material breach. And I also don't believe for a moment that Glendale's city council is only acting to address the breaking of the law, particularly given the timing of how things have settled out.

No, there are no white or dark knights in this case - it's an ugly confrontation between two groups of shady dealers who showed up last night to do some playacting. The only difference is that Leblanc and co. were far more believable in their roles than the Glendale politicians.

So don't come in here shedding crocodile tears for the citizens of Glendale and trying to foist some cliched argument about representative democracy on us as a way to attack our reactions to this case. It's a straw man.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Oh please get off your high horse. We all make assessments based on observation and currently available information. When the facts change, I change my mind as needed. What do you do, sir?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

And many residents of Glendale aren't fans of the Coyotes. It's not question of if a Coyotes or not in Glendale voted in these politicians but rather a question of how well educated the voter is in any place. One of the key reasons why democracy is failing all over the country is because too many people don't take the time to properly educate themselves on the issues and the candidates before voting.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
I think what this move is about for the council is largely about the Vice Mayor and even the Mayor exerting their political weight with a new council, we have 3 brand new green rookies that are very malleable with less than 6 months on the job. Keep in mind the current deal was done as an end run around the Mayor, that didn't sit well. The Mayor wants to re-negotiate "his" deal, he wants to be the savior. Take a pause and consider the very expeditious time frame how this blew up in 48hr. They didn't want to take chances to allow interested to be lobbied and people to get cold feet.

I think Mr Mayor fancies himself a little like Frank Underwood here, but he isn't playing the game very astutely. I don't think the Council feels it will escalate all that far in the end.

i honestly thought that this was mostly about the Mayor demonstrating his weight (pun) and showing he is capable of blowing it up, but would ultimately pull back from the brink right at the last minute. Maybe he was a no vote but when Aldama voted yes the votes were there and the Mayor had cover to vote yes, the Aldama vote may have been the pivotal vote. This move was 100% about re-negotiating a lease the Mayor can back, the vice mayor is merely the henchman executing the plan.

If the team is savvy obviously they will pursue relief in the courts but they can regain the upper hand by leveraging an opportunity with Phoenix here & call Glendale's bluf.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
And many residents of Glendale aren't fans of the Coyotes. It's not question of if a Coyotes or not in Glendale voted in these politicians but rather a question of how well educated the voter is in any place. One of the key reasons why democracy is failing all over the country is because too many people don't take the time to properly educate themselves on the issues and the candidates before voting.

Ok i was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now I've decided you live atop a high horse built upon an ivory tower.

Next you will be calling us plebs.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's not question of if a Coyotes or not in Glendale voted in these politicians but rather a question of how well educated the voter is in any place. One of the key reasons why democracy is failing all over the country is because too many people don't take the time to properly educate themselves on the issues and the candidates before voting.

Um, no. http://www.vox.com/2015/6/8/8740897/informed-voters-may-not-be-better-voters

In 2006, the political scientists Christopher Achens and Larry Bartels presented a paper titled "It Feels Like We're Thinking: The Rationalizing Voter and Electoral Democracy." In it, Achens and Bartels make a point that is so obvious we often forget its implications: "Very few politically consequential facts are subject to direct, personal verification."

In other words, an informed voter rarely knows anything firsthand, the way we know the sky is blue and the sun rose this morning. Everything she knows is taken on trust; an informed voter is only as good as her information sources. And because we all get to choose which information sources to believe, voters with more information are not always more informed. Sometimes, they're just more completely and profoundly misled.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think what this move is about for the council is largely about the Vice Mayor and even the Mayor exerting their political weight with a new council, we have 3 brand new green rookies that are very malleable with less than 6 months on the job. Keep in mind the current deal was done as an end run around the Mayor, that didn't sit well. The Mayor wants to re-negotiate "his" deal, I think Mr Mayor fancies himself a little like Frank Underwood here, but he isn't playing the game very astutely. I don't think the Council feels it will escalate all that far in the end.

i honestly thought that this was mostly about the Mayor demonstrating his weight (pun) and showing he is capable of blowing it up, but would ultimately pull back from the brink right at the last minute. Maybe he was a no vote but when Aldama he wants to be the savior. Take a pause and consider the very expeditious time frame how this blew up in 48hr. They didn't want to take chances to allow interested to be lobbied and people to get cold feet.

voted yes the votes were there and the Mayor had cover to vote yes, the Aldama vote may have been the pivotal vote. This move was 100% about re-negotiating a lease the Mayor can back, the vice mayor is merely the henchman executing the plan.

If the team is savvy obviously they will pursue relief in the courts but they can regain the upper hand by leveraging an opportunity with Phoenix here & call Glendale's bluf.

After they kick the city morons' ***** in court to keep the deal as-is, I hope they go back and sue for the damage this has done. That should be enough to end their political dreams.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
A rebuild downtown, in a lower capacity building the next few years wouldn't be a bad thing. The playoffs are a shot in the dark the next 2-3 years so the extra capacity may not be missed.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Ok i was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now I've decided you live atop a high horse built upon an ivory tower.

Next you will be calling us plebs.

And it's quote obvious how many of you continue to dodge what I said. I don't go by the "blame Glendale for everything line" like some Coyotes Fans do and it's showing up again just like it did in the previous ownership discussion, especially by those who continue year after year to ***** about where the arena is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad