Glendale: Still incompetent, and now attemping to wiggle out of the lease (Post 200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DouX

Keeping Arizona Icy
Mar 5, 2008
Scottsdale
They sure know how to really drive the fan base back. We had positive signs, with new ownership and as soon as the summer nears more problems. It seems the writing is on the wall, especially with this current group heading the COG. I can't do this...

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Well, all the Canadian teams have been eliminated from the playoffs. Time to turn the focus to the Coyotes...

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Couple of issues/questions:

1. Why do they care, it should be a local reporter who is digging this up?
2. If its $8.5 million in "profit" to the city what about the tax revenue lost? (I know it still wouldnt total 8.5)
3. Why did the author use a the classic no one goes picture when the game had another 22 minutes before it started?
4. Interesting idea they are under-reporting the losses. I would like more info.
5. Interesting thought on why other locations wouldnt work but only Vegas would. Thought they wanted an expansion fee and could this be a push from the Vegas guys to get a "cheaper" team. Paying for a struggling franchise would be cheaper then the expansion fee.
6. Also, the season was doomed before it started. Using attendance figures and ratings is only useful when you compare it to other teams with similar starts. They also used Dbacks ratings for 2015...season just started, let those numbers play out first.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
They sure know how to really drive the fan base back. We had positive signs, with new ownership and as soon as the summer nears more problems. It seems the writing is on the wall, especially with this current group heading the COG. I can't do this...

Two words: Auston Matthews, that should be our bar none top target, that's a great story that at least would get a lot of people back into the seats for some years to come.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Meh. The city council approved an agreement that explicitly allowed Ice Arizona to direct that the payments be sent to another entity. How can they be in breach of the contract when an entire section of the contract was devoted to permitting that action?

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
You can't report accurate information related to the team's financial status when the reporter doesn't have the financials or the audit to observe.

It's like a blind man trying to describe what the Mona Lisa looks like.

Having said that, the Coyotes are in serious financial difficulties, just how bad I don't know. My personal opinion is they will demonstrate loses that can trigger the out clause, and ownership will evaluate all possible options, from staying, to moving elsewhere in Phoenix, to relocation to another city.

I expect it will be rinse and repeat on the relocation drama is three years. Frankly, I don't care anymore. I am going to detach from this team if they don't start playing entertaining hockey, well before the threat of relocation becomes a imminent subject of discussion.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well, I can think of a lot of other uses for my season ticket money, so if Glendale wants to get rid of the Coyotes then more power to 'em.

DouX

Keeping Arizona Icy
Mar 5, 2008
Scottsdale
In my eyes Glendale cannot afford to lose the Coyotes. With the amount invested into Westgate already what would that become if the Coyotes left? The Cardinals 8 home games isn't enough to keep the restaurants and stores happy. I'm sure most businesses in the area would leave and with it tax money for the city.

I'd really like some accurate reporting. Hopefully in the next few days Barroway can come out and say this article is falsified and we can go on with our business. Unfortunately I think as long as the 3 year out-clause exists these articles will emerge again and again.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hopefully in the next few days Barroway can come out and say this article is falsified and we can go on with our business.

Barroway isn't going to say squat. Leblanc will come out with all of the normal platitudes and we won't know a thing more about it than we did before.

Honestly, how can anyone look at this crap and not agree that being a Coyotes fan is the worst job in sports?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just another piece of spaghetti being thrown at the wall and seeing what sticks. That's been the practice since we got a new owner.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Barroway isn't going to say squat. Leblanc will come out with all of the normal platitudes and we won't know a thing more about it than we did before.

...aaaaaaaaaaand here they are:

"There are so many mistakes in the TSN story today that there are simply too many to refute. For example, the revenues quoted are off by a significant factor; the Coyotes no longer have a banking relationship with Fortress; the Coyotes are in compliance with the arena management agreement and there is no basis whatsoever for the city to assert a material breach, and on and on.â€

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
You went from 12,420 a game the year of the WCF run to 13,923 in a short year. Then the owners looked like they ponied up some money and the team looked good on paper; this created an increase of 1,355 a game over the last full year. Then this season came, money was suddenly tight, and we got a garbage sized gift of a team. Yet 13,345 a game still showed up. Still almost a 1,000 more a game then the WCF run. Fans are there, but the ownership has to be blame by allowing that out clause to hang over the team. Its a big go jump in a lake to the fans.

As of 11-25-14, Forbes valued this team at $225 million with an operating loss of $4.6 million. The Wild, Blue Jackets, Panthers, Lightning, Blues, Hurricanes all had worse numbers at an average loss of $11.5 million a team. How has this team become so financial worse then other teams with those numbers? Perception issue or is there issues in reality?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
"Glendale, which has per capita income of $19,124 (60th in the state), is on the east side of Phoenix."

Somebody needs to buy a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad