Glendale and Ice Arizona Agree on New Lease - City Council Passes It.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
If you want an idea how a multi team arena would look.. honestly look at Winnipegs MTS Centre. AHL team and NHL team this fall, combined with countless concerts and events. the MTS Centre is one of the busiest areanas in North America, a Suns/Coyotes + events arena is very doable.

honestly, as a canadian, its tiring hearing daily stories about the coyotes. this is hot news on canadian sports networks right now. i honestly thought when you guys made the WCF a couple years back that it would be the start of attracting fans for the coyotes and bring certainty to your franchise. My thinking is, the coyotes are gone in two years, but where do they go... top two relocation spots put in bid for expansion, Seattle doesnt have arena, KC is not interested, havent heard anything about Portland up until i read this thread (kc/portland have not been discussed at all by nhl insiders up here in canada.

lastly.. i think McDavid wouldve done for your franchise in the same way Crosby saved Pittsburg

You underestimated the pathetic fanbase that has no heart, or soul for this valley and it's sports teams. Don't feel bad - even I did.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Nowakowski is running, sadly, uncontested. If Prop 104 passes, coupled with continued pension problems, a stadium could be a hard sell. I know I'd never vote to subsidize a stadium for fat cats. Hopefully IA can work out a deal with the Suns for a privately financed arena.

It would be refreshing to see the fat cats pull their own weight.

However, folks seem to be ignoring the fact that GRA will still be in Glendale and (imo) i'ts also fact that the arena needs an anchor tennant.

When you compare attendence downtown and in Glendale and see it's parity, I also believe that things will stay the same...... IF the team can turn around it's ill fortune.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't care for this deal. My STH contract expires after the season. I won't renew unless there is a plan in place to keep the team in state moving forward. I won't financially support a lame duck team. Not that IE would care, as a lame duck season is a total write off financially due to sponsorship withdrawal.

I've had similar thought, but let's face it.... it's never stopped me (most likely you either) from re-upping in the past and Lord knows we've been through this scenario time and time again.... or so it seems.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Perhaps all of this has been part of the plan all along?

Let's face it, hiring Tindall was a stroke of stupidity, or was it merely a means to an end? Perhaps IA needed the 15 million (for whatever reason) up front, until something changed at a given time? Could it have to do with the interest on the original loan?

I certainly don't pretend to know and this is wild speculation, but it just went through my feeble mind and I thought I'd pass it on. :)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Just buy the Vet Coliseum property and maybe some surrounding areas if possible, build a new arena, and buy an AHL team. Then you have NHL and AHL games, concerts/conventions, and even the state fair all wrapped up. More centrally located, gains all revenue control, and grows the game as kids ride the fair rides and then take in a game. It's just money and it grows on trees and bushes, right? :naughty:

the option to buy Springfield/AHL Franchise falls within same timeframe as current lease and/or would've been done by now.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Plus the fact that Glendale is so difficult to reach during the weekdays it is amazing that anyone even shows up to games.

It'd be an interesting experiment to put every team in a nearby locale to see what the numbers looked liked. Coyotes play in Glendale, Panthers (still) play in Sunrise, Sharks play in Santa Clara, Leafs play in Mississauga, Rangers play in the Bronx, etc, etc. We may actually come out near the top :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You underestimated the pathetic fanbase that has no heart, or soul for this valley and it's sports teams. Don't feel bad - even I did.

Fun fact - during the recent Marlins/D'Backs series, the highest attendance figures wouldn't have filled Gila River Arena. That's at a state-of-the-art baseball stadium in probably the most prime downtown location possible with a team that, 14 years ago, won the World Series and as recently as 2011 won the NL West division and whose management consistently wins raves for providing one of the best fan experiences in baseball.

Say what you want about the Coyotes only filling their arena 3/4ths full in Glendale for a season average, but when your team draws 15,000 fans in a 48,000-seat stadium, you start to wonder what the hell is wrong with the market in general.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
Perhaps all of this has been part of the plan all along?

Let's face it, hiring Tindall was a stroke of stupidity, or was it merely a means to an end? Perhaps IA needed the 15 million (for whatever reason) up front, until something changed at a given time? Could it have to do with the interest on the original loan?

I certainly don't pretend to know and this is wild speculation, but it just went through my feeble mind and I thought I'd pass it on. :)

The $15M guaranteed money from COG was most definitely a requirement for the Fortress loan. IA was completely open about this at the time.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The $15M guaranteed money from COG was most definitely a requirement for the Fortress loan. IA was completely open about this at the time.

And now the dollars have been shuffled and things are basically the same..... Glendale just puts out less.... while receiving less.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't care for this deal. My STH contract expires after the season. I won't renew unless there is a plan in place to keep the team in state moving forward. I won't financially support a lame duck team. Not that IE would care, as a lame duck season is a total write off financially due to sponsorship withdrawal.

Why?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know. This situation seems about status quo. I don't things are any more gloomy or any more rosy than they've been (on the average) since the BK maneuver.

It's a resounding...meh...

:laugh: You got that right! The more thing change, the more they stay the same eh?

There's not even much fluctuation in the dollars - just divvy'ed up different.

I agree. I skimmed through the amended agreement, but without reading the original it is hard to say what the bottom line is. There were a bunch of numbers thrown out over the last couple of days, so who really knows the exact numbers. The one thing that stuck out to me was that the Coyotes do not have to show the COG their audit financial statements. Like the old saying goes ''no body wins except the lawyers"" sure hold true here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fun fact - during the recent Marlins/D'Backs series, the highest attendance figures wouldn't have filled Gila River Arena. That's at a state-of-the-art baseball stadium in probably the most prime downtown location possible with a team that, 14 years ago, won the World Series and as recently as 2011 won the NL West division and whose management consistently wins raves for providing one of the best fan experiences in baseball.

Say what you want about the Coyotes only filling their arena 3/4ths full in Glendale for a season average, but when your team draws 15,000 fans in a 48,000-seat stadium, you start to wonder what the hell is wrong with the market in general.

I think it was XX who said the affluent level in Arizona is very low compared to other areas. So I think in Arizona, the majority of the population has very little disposable income.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun

Baseball is a much different monster from hockey though. Baseball fans are about the most fair weather fans out of any sport since the games are literally every day. Especially in the middle of the week, most franchises are happy with 20,000 at a Tuesday game. When your team sucks, which the Dbacks are not very good this year 15,000 is about right. I've been a die hard Royals fan my whole life and I've attended games below 15,000.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Baseball is a much different monster from hockey though. Baseball fans are about the most fair weather fans out of any sport since the games are literally every day. Especially in the middle of the week, most franchises are happy with 20,000 at a Tuesday game. When your team sucks, which the Dbacks are not very good this year 15,000 is about right. I've been a die hard Royals fan my whole life and I've attended games below 15,000.

Look at how many games they play too.. I love the Dbacks and baseball but that's a factor

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All true (generally speaking), but the Yotes got 'em some cheap tix Jakey.

So do the Dbacks. If the teams are winning, people will shift their money around so they can attend a game or two. Instead of going to a show, maybe a Dback game or Coyotes game.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I agree. I skimmed through the amended agreement, but without reading the original it is hard to say what the bottom line is. There were a bunch of numbers thrown out over the last couple of days, so who really knows the exact numbers. The one thing that stuck out to me was that the Coyotes do not have to show the COG their audit financial statements. Like the old saying goes ''no body wins except the lawyers"" sure hold true here.
You know what they say about a hundred lawyers buried at the bottom of the ocean? "A good start."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad