Recalled/Assigned: Glass and Kampfer recalled

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can see teams are coming out physical against us. I have believed for a while that scouting reports say we tend to shrink during physical games.
Of course they are. Why would they not be?

I hate putting it this way, but this is the most wussified Rangers team since.....last year. And last year was the most wussified since the year before that. This has been a trend in AV's tenure. More and more skill. Less and less grit. Until eventually, one has whitewashed all of the elements that are needed to win the trench warfare that is the playoffs.

Much like his strategy belief, AV believes in the ideology of how the game should be played. However, he does not reflect on how it actually is being played. The game is far different than 10-20 years ago. But as of yet, it is still not a two hand touch league.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Honestly I think the coaching staff is effectively neutering the players.
I think that there is something to this. They have players that have played with an edge (Miller, Krieder), but seemingly game by game that edge disappears. And when you see MciLRath stand up for Raanta and then get run out of town.........

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Can we just have the Tanner Glass cycle at this point? Everyone knows how this will go down:

1. Glass gets into the lineup.
2. The Rangers will win a few games before playing some better teams.
3. Glass will play his 8-10 minutes a night.
4. The team will lose some games.
5. People will ask for Glass to sit in favor of a better player.
6. Glass will be defended because he plays such a small role on the team and will keep his spot in the lineup because "he isn't messing up while he plays".
7. Larry Brooks writes article about how Glass has added some physicality and toughness to a soft team.
8. He keeps a spot in the lineup the rest of the season because he provides toughness and is a likable guy.

I cannot wait until this player is not in our organization. Same with Girardi. Have to take him away from AV or he'll continue to use him.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Remember that time when the team was on the brink of elimination in the playoffs and needed to get scoring so AV scratched Hayes and played Glass?

Good times good times

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
His impact on those games was immaterial. This is not backing his play, but calling a spade a spade.

It was immaterial, you're right. He had the lowest TOI of all regulars that run by a wide margin. You can't waste a roster spot in the playoffs and expect to accomplish the ultimate goal.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Can we just have the Tanner Glass cycle at this point? Everyone knows how this will go down:

1. Glass gets into the lineup.
2. The Rangers will win a few games before playing some better teams.
3. Glass will play his 8-10 minutes a night.
4. The team will lose some games.
5. People will ask for Glass to sit in favor of a better player.
6. Glass will be defended because he plays such a small role on the team and will keep his spot in the lineup because "he isn't messing up while he plays".
7. Larry Brooks writes article about how Glass has added some physicality and toughness to a soft team.
8. He keeps a spot in the lineup the rest of the season because he provides toughness and is a likable guy.

I cannot wait until this player is not in our organization. Same with Girardi. Have to take him away from AV or he'll continue to use him.

Honestly this is a terrible job by Gorton. He is the GM. He decides who is on the roster. If AV asks for him to promote Glass he should tell him no. This is certainly what AV wants but Gorton should not have let it happen.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Honestly this is a terrible job by Gorton. He is the GM. He decides who is on the roster. If AV asks for him to promote Glass he should tell him no. This is certainly what AV wants but Gorton should not have let it happen.

Bingo.

I have my reservations about a GM being too heavily involved with lineup decisions, but this is a clear instance of a time where a GM needs to step up and say 'No' to the coach.

And he didn't.

What does that say about GMJG?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah this is the first time I've been disappointed with GMJG. To be a fly on the wall during the recall meeting.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Remember that time when the team was on the brink of elimination in the playoffs and needed to get scoring so AV scratched Hayes and played Glass?

Good times good times
I also 'member when they were playing a do or die to get to the SCF and dressed 11 forwards, one of them being Glass.

orland

Jul 29, 2002
Weschester County, N
Visit site
I think that there is something to this. They have players that have played with an edge (Miller, Krieder), but seemingly game by game that edge disappears. And when you see MciLRath stand up for Raanta and then get run out of town.........

Never thought I would say this but having Glass in the line-up at this point is a no brainer, if the alternative is Puempel or Pirri. Not only are the Rangers playing soft but they are at risk of getting hurt - ie Wilson hitting Stepan & Ovie hitting Fast recently.

Is Glass any good - of course not- but his inefficiency vs. say Puempel is negligible compared to the benefit of letting the league know they can't just come out and try to intimidate and injure the Rangers without paying a price. And he can play a bit - no hands but a good skater.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Bingo.

I have my reservations about a GM being too heavily involved with lineup decisions, but this is a clear instance of a time where a GM needs to step up and say 'No' to the coach.

And he didn't.

What does that say about GMJG?

Not really even a lineup decision. AV, as the coach, should be the one who decides which 18 players on the roster are playing in any given game. He should not be the one with the final decision of which players are actually on the roster. If as the GM you know he is going to do something like this and play Glass/Kampfer/Girardi it is essentially your obligation to not allow those players to be on the roster at all (Obviously Girardi is a much tougher case).

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

That's an awful, awful precedent to set. Especially for a guy you just gave an extension to.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I also 'member when they were playing a do or die to get to the SCF and dressed 11 forwards, one of them being Glass.

Hunwick did play 4:17 tho, so, it was worth it.

Not really even a lineup decision. AV, as the coach, should be the one who decides which 18 players on the roster are playing in any given game. He should not be the one with the final decision of which players are actually on the roster. If as the GM you know he is going to do something like this and play Glass/Kampfer/Girardi it is essentially your obligation to not allow those players to be on the roster at all (Obviously Girardi is a much tougher case).

True. Definitely agree.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That's an awful, awful precedent to set. Especially for a guy you just gave an extension to.

I mean it's like the definition of his job...

This isn't the NFL where coaches run the entire organization like Bill Belichick.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I dont think Tanner Glass is the answer but whats ironic is Tanner Glass probably had more even strength goals for us last season than Pirri has for us this season.

I checked this because it sounded wrong.

EV strength:

Pirri 16-17: 54 games, 3g - 6a - 9pts
Glass 15-16: 57 games, 4g - 3a - 7pts

I'm sorry I doubted you

However, bad Pirri is simply invisible. Bad Glass is a detriment.

I also don't believe that we should neglect those power play points. PP goals count just as much as even strength goals

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If this team stuck up for themselves and each other,Glass would still be rotting away in the AHL.Letting Ott and Martinsen run around last game hitting everything in sight with no retaliation was awful to watch.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I just don't see how you look at this forward group and this RD group and conclude that you need Tanner Glass, but don't need Dylan McIlrath

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

EV strength:

I'm sorry I doubted you

I also don't believe that we should neglect those power play points. PP goals count just as much as even strength goals

Hahaha ew. Someone tweet that to Pirri for motivation.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I mean it's like the definition of his job...

This isn't the NFL where coaches run the entire organization like Bill Belichick.

No, it's not the definition of his job. His job is to address organizational needs by adding and removing players through different methods. Not to withhold a player from the coach just because parts of the fanbase insist he has no value to the team.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

EV strength:

I'm sorry I doubted you

I'm not a proponent of playing Glass at all but at even strength Pirri has not been very noticeable this season. Oscar may have his hands full trying to get Pirri and Glass out of our end of the ice.

If AV has decided to play Glass I would only play him very limited minutes. I would not have him as a penalty killer or even playing a regular 4th line shift. I would double shift guys like Nash, Zooks, JT, and Kreider on the 4th line while playing Glass only a handful of situation based shifts.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY

EV strength:

I'm sorry I doubted you

Proves the point even more. Pirri is not needed when they have 10 other forwards in the lineup with better skills and three way play. Glass is unfortunately the internal option for grit but I am willing to give it a shot. BUT...BUT! When everybody is healthy and they are playing G1 in the PO, Glass better be ridin pine because if he sits Buchnevich then a first round sweep wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Your team has literally never played 11F/7D, so obviously the best time to try it is in game 7 of the ECF. And since you'll have less forwards to play, you should play your best. And he plays Glass.

Really a brilliant coach we've got here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad