Injury Report: Giroux and Gostisbehere surgeries on May 17 (info in post #1)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Looking at the past pics of him playing basketball, these don't seem like his legs. Mind you, if he has had issues for over a year, maybe he has lost some muscle mass.

It is funny when certain people talk how much better shape players of today are when we see Simmonds legs. I would kill for forwards like Lindros, LeClair and BrindAmour.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Damn they are some sinewy legs.

Would make him light on his feet but sure as hell wont help him win battles.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking at the past pics of him playing basketball, these don't seem like his legs. Mind you, if he has had issues for over a year, maybe he has lost some muscle mass.

It is funny when certain people talk how much better shape players of today are when we see Simmonds legs. I would kill for forwards like Lindros, LeClair and BrindAmour.

People think gyms were invented in the past 10 years lol

Players today have fancier workour regiments and diets but the 90s guys were ****ing cut.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
fd80f16665c30b0b0718d1ab0ce27fae.jpg

Is it against the rules to be built like this?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Players lose a lot of weight in season. Hockey's a pretty draining sport physically & there's not much time in season to workout & maintain that weight like some other sports. So a lot of guys do the bulk of their training in the offseason. They don't hit the ground running as soon as their year is over either. They'll take some weeks off just catch up on some rest before getting back to working out & focusing on hockey. Good chance Giroux didn't even start his yet as he's probably going to be limited for the first couple of weeks or so in what he can do because of the surgery.

The game has changed since then. Guys were walking around at much heavier weights than they are now. Seeing a 245-250+ lbs. guy wasn't that rare back then like it is now. The speed of the game has made players sacrifice mass in order to be faster out on the rink. The game back then was more strength related than it was about being fast.

They're in better shape now a days but it's more so in a cardiovascular way. You still have your fat slobs like Kessel or Byfuglien for examples who seemingly arent effected by not being in the best shape but those guys are far in between.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
fd80f16665c30b0b0718d1ab0ce27fae.jpg

Is it against the rules to be built like this?

Depends on the style of play. That mass on Girouxs frame would slow him down immensely.

The game is too fast now to carry a ton of bulk; unless youre a stay at home dman

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At least he is not going to be having any compartment syndrome issues down the line! :laugh:

They are not fun. Not fun at all. Hernias, fascial tears etc are really annoying. So don't do too many leg days kids! ;)

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
he's starting to wear down do to size. We need another scoring centre that is bigger to help g out.

Yes, another center who doesn't wear down as the season goes by would be great. Those guys aren't common, alas. Or get him bigger line mates to protect him.

Like back in the day Lindros would have lasted ten years longer with Tzachuk and Shanahan instead of LeClair and Renberg.

Anyway I am surprised that any professional athlete's legs look like that!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, another center who doesn't wear down as the season goes by would be great. Those guys aren't common, alas. Or get him bigger line mates to protect him.

Like back in the day Lindros would have lasted ten years longer with Tzachuk and Shanahan instead of LeClair and Renberg.

Anyway I am surprised that any professional athlete's legs look like that!

LeClair was as big as Tkachuk and Shanahan..

But he wasn't as menacing so I will give you that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For anybody to extend Lindros' longevity they would simply have to take him aside and tell him to keep his head up, and teach him how. Unless Shanny or Tkachuk do that, they make no difference.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
LeClair was as big as Tkachuk and Shanahan..

But he wasn't as menacing so I will give you that.

John was a pretty clean player, a great player, but I felt they should have gotten some truly mean wings for Lindros.

88 took his share of clean hits but a number of losers like Kaparaitus and Ulanov and others took runs at him with impunity, I'll always blame the Flyers for that.

The only guy I ever really saw stick up for Lindros is a guy whose name I cannot remember, a bit player, who took a match penalty for crosschecking on Rich Pilon after Pilon took a run at Lindros.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Danny Lacroix or Scott Daniels maybe.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
John was a pretty clean player, a great player, but I felt they should have gotten some truly mean wings for Lindros.

88 took his share of clean hits but a number of losers like Kaparaitus and Ulanov and others took runs at him with impunity, I'll always blame the Flyers for that.

The only guy I ever really saw stick up for Lindros is a guy whose name I cannot remember, a bit player, who took a match penalty for crosschecking on Rich Pilon after Pilon took a run at Lindros.

I was at the game Ulanov hit him, I was tempted to go to his house I was so mad !!!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was at the game Ulanov hit him, I was tempted to go to his house I was so mad !!!

Lindros cleaned Ulanov's clock while Kevin Collins held him down during that one playoff series though. Ulanov looked like a pro wrestler with his face covered in blood.

Whenever Lindros would eventually get one of those rats of that era to dance it was often glorious to see the carnage he would do to them. :laugh:

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Lindros cleaned Ulanov's clock while Kevin Collins held him down during that one playoff series though. Ulanov looked like a pro wrestler with his face covered in blood.

Whenever Lindros would eventually get one of those rats of that era to dance it was often glorious to see the carnage he would do to them. :laugh:

Yeah he lumped up Ulanov pretty good that night, big time bloodletting.

He gave Bob Bougher a good thump in' too.

And Scott Stevens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad