Injury Report: Giroux and Gostisbehere surgeries on May 17 (info in post #1)

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
While Ghost did not have the same MoJo he had earlier in the Season... when he was still pretty much an unknown to the Opponents on a first had basis... I'm surprised that it was because he had such injuries. I imagine that G's effect him much more and probably more severe. I guess I'm saying that while Ghost was hampered, he still did some pretty sweet things.

That said, maybe when he is back to snuff he'll pick up where he left off at... and it is not so much a case of merely Opponents catching up with his tricks and concentrating on stopping him... although that I'm sure will happen to some extent.

I'm surprised that both operations will be done on he same day with the same people operating... I'd have guessed that they would be more time consuming. I suppose they decided to make a 'Assembly Line' production... are there other patients involved also? ;)

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Giroux's was from the mid season point while Gostisbehere's was late in the season according to Hextall.

Voracek's injury wasn't healed by the playoffs so he was playing hurt too according to Hextall.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
While Ghost did not have the same MoJo he had earlier in the Season... when he was still pretty much an unknown to the Opponents on a first had basis... I'm surprised that it was because he had such injuries. I imagine that G's effect him much more and probably more severe. I guess I'm saying that while Ghost was hampered, he still did some pretty sweet things.

That said, maybe when he is back to snuff he'll pick up where he left off at... and it is not so much a case of merely Opponents catching up with his tricks and concentrating on stopping him... although that I'm sure will happen o some extent.

I'm surprised that both operations will be done on he same day with the same people operating... I'd have guessed that they would be more time consuming. I suppose they decided to make a 'Assembly Line' production... are there other patients involved also? ;)

They got a 2 for 1 coupon.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly

Weird, my hip is suddenly acting up. I may have to go in. I'm pretty sure I've got some comfy Flyers gear I can wear before I go under.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Meanwhile Giroux never complains once and even goes out of his way to not use it as an excuse, saying he was no more hurt than anyone else, which is a load of ****. You really can't ask for any better from a captain/franchise player, the perfect attitude.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
That explains why Ghost's acceleration was less explosive, and likely why his shot accuracy took a hit.

Yet to his credit he still wanted to get and handle the puck every moment he was on he ice... and still made some deceptive moves and sweet shots on the PP. Sadly not enough made i through... Yes, maybe if he was 100%, or close to that, the results may have been markedly better.

It certaintly says a lot for the Flyers when the Key Players are such gamers and insist on going down swinging.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Meanwhile Giroux never complains once and even goes out of his way to not use it as an excuse, saying he was no more hurt than anyone else, which is a load of ****. You really can't ask for any better from a captain/franchise player, the perfect attitude.

Exactly what I came here to post. Awesome to have players that gut it out and make no excuses. Really good for the culture they have and are building.

We basically came within 2 goals of forcing a game 7 against the best team in the NHL with the best goalie without our top 3 forwards, top dman, and top goalie. This team may start making waves as early as next year.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
its tough for these smaller frame players to handle 82 games. Hopefully ghost can learn to manage a full nhl season. G is just never healthy it seems.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
its tough for these smaller frame players to handle 82 games. Hopefully ghost can learn to manage a full nhl season. G is just never healthy it seems.
small is good if you fast amazing speed. G is good but he is always hurt. Ghost two injuries in his first two years isn't good either but on to next year.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
In 7 seasons G only missed 10 games. I don't think size is an issue for injuries.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

When we had big guys as captains they never got hurt. Pronger, Primeau, Lindros... all pictures of health.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
"One Good Year" Comes to Five Year End After Lack of Heart Leads to Lack of Hips.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

It's one of the reasons he is my favorite in the NHL.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
Guys with size generally put that size on the line. I swear Lindros gave himself more concussions than Stevens or Kasparaitis--and I mean by putting his shoulder through someone, rather than putting his head down. Also, the 1990-2004 NHL was American Football on skates. Guys were blowing out their knees, backs, ankles and brains trying to add 30#'s in the off-season while trying to skate with a 240# guy on their back in a regular season game. It was madness I hope we never return to. (Even though I loved it at the time.)

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Also, the 1990-2004 NHL was American Football on skates. ... It was madness I hope we never return to. (Even though I loved it at the time.)

I begrudgingly agree. I loved that type of hockey, where the 3M line and the 3 Dan line made sense from a roster construction stand point. The 3M line is a 4th line unit now a days and the 3 Dan line is just obsolete (granted they were pretty obsolete then, but the Legion of Doom could pcik up the "slack").

On Topic: The Ghost injury isn't a surprise because he seemed less dynamic as the year ended and through the playoffs. He still had his side-step move, but I doubt the people he played against closed that talent gap so quick. I have the slightest concern about him health wise. An injury in both years he starts his pro career isn't optimal. (All the more reason to keep all the young D and see how they shake out.)

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There was a game in late March where he had the puck in our zone, and he tried to start hard and it was just...normal. That start in January would've been explosive. That's when I began banging the "Ghost is worn down" drum, but apparently I had the wrong drum out.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Great. So now "he never shows up in big games" changes to "he is always hurt" (since he didnt play in grand total of 9 - NINE - games since the 09/10 season (included).

I am looking forward to the day when someone says G is not the issue, nor AN issue.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->