Injury Report: Giroux and Gostisbehere surgeries on May 17 (info in post #1)

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Updated: May 14, 2016

Flyers General Manager Ron Hextall gave the following injury update on center Claude Giroux and defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere on Saturday afternoon:

"Claude Giroux and Shayne Gostisbehere are both scheduled to have surgery on Tuesday, May 17th to have their right hips repaired as well as bilateral lower abdominal tears repaired.

Their hip surgery will be performed by Dr. Eric Kropf and their abdominal surgery will be performed by Dr. William Meyers.

We expect both players to be able to return to full activity in 10-12 weeks."

Source: Flyers' website
------------------

After the PostSeason Meetings Hextall, when asked about needed surgeries, said that he would cooment on them once further tests were done and more information was available... I assumed we were talking a day or so later.

I have not heard and Official nor unofficial reports... nor even any rumors on who is having what and/or who played with what injury during the Season and through the Washington Series.

I have searched the Flyers WebSite and done Google searches to no avail... but must admit that I have not been through much of the PostSeason discussions on here... Meltzer and other Insiders/Bloggers have not mentioned anything to my knowledge.

If anything has been released either Officially or unofficially, could you please post it here... and maybe discuss it, if called for... If nothing has been released Officially, what does that mean in your mind?... Why would it be glanced over like that by the GM and not be brought up again... and why isn't it being brought up? I find it hard to believe that there is no PostSeason surgeries nor any Players who played hurt... It could possibly explain some of what went on with various Players who played below their perceived ability.

If this is not the proper place... or it has been discussed elsewhere, I apologize... and would appreciate being directed to the proper place to find out.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
thought exact same thing today also. would hope it's not as horrid as Bruins news last week. most likely lot of dings but hopefully just time off being the solution. Slight fear Giroux needs to undergo knife again for his wrists but who knows....

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
thought exact same thing today also. would hope it's not as horrid as Bruins news last week. most likely lot of dings but hopefully just time off being the solution. Slight fear Giroux needs to undergo knife again for his wrists but who knows....

I forgot to add in the OP that some players were cleared to play in the tourneys and others have decided to rest and sit it out -- probably with a little help from above -- and that's as far as they went with Reports.

Yes it could be he Flyers were lucky and just the normal dings hat comes with a Season of Professional Ice Hockey play... but with that comes the realization that possibly some of our Players are unable to play up to their ability in the PostSeason with said 'normal' dings.

That said, it has become very apparent that the Hexall lead regime is very hush hush on many things... and we all know how he NHL is in general about disclosing injuries and possible weaknesses in their Players' physical status/tendencies... Upper/Lower Body injuries... Could this merely be a case of the Organization keeping everything under the radar and the ferocious Media being asleep at the wheel and failing to go and get the information?... I'm hoping it is a case of no players going under the knife, but wouldn't even that call for a Statement saying that all is good and the Players not in the Worlds are all now on the usual Off-Season routines?

... I keep thinking that I've missed something... somewhere... somehow.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

I honestly think Giroux's issue was in his abdomen or groin. Sports hernia, pulled groin, or something a long those line.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well Streit, Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, Gudas, Ghost and Neuvirth would probably all be at the world champs if they were fully healthy after game 6. Not every ailment requires surgery.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Just got a confirmation on this... in his HockeyBuzz Blog today, Bill Meltzer stated that the Flyers have not yet released an official -- or any other kind, I suppose -- list of end of the Season injuries... So I guess it wasn't my missing one.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He said during the end of the year presser he would release a full list injury report when he had every diagnose for every player potentially injured but that hasn't happened to this point.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
No one surprised by that I am sure. Kind of a relief that his play was injury-related and not just "bad".
Think it was that Hanzal hit when he got knocked into the boards?
That guy really knows how to injure Flyers players...

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
But...but....the people on the playoff board just said we were making excuses and he wasn't actually injured. This is preposterous.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But...but....the people on the playoff board just said we were making excuses and he wasn't actually injured. This is preposterous.

There were also people on this board saying the same, but anyone who watched him play could see something was off. The only question is: is it something that will require surgery or not?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Stupid Caps fans said Giroux being hurt was just an excuse... it wasn't an excuse. It wasn't our usual Giroux not scoring. it was Giroux just not playing as he usually does. He was clearly hurt. Hopefully the surgery goes well and Giroux is back to his normal self next year. Best player this team has had in a while. We need him.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Sooooo. Where is that dude who repeatedly smugly claimed G just plain out sucks, simply because G said he is not injured (which no player in the playoffs said like ever)? The guy who got so butt hurt when people actually defended an obviously hurt elite player?

Guess he is in the gym, roiding it up

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I kind of wish he was just playing poorly... hip/hernia surgery can't be good.

Yea. Hernia not that big of a deal...at least for us normal people. Hip surgery though, hip surgery scares me. I'll have to ask my wife once I see what he's getting done. She worked for an orthopedic surgeon for 5 years and one of the doctors was actually on the Flyers staff as well. See if she can get an educated guess from him based on this procedure.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Sooooo. Where is that dude who repeatedly smugly claimed G just plain out sucks, simply because G said he is not injured (which no player in the playoffs said like ever)? The guy who got so butt hurt when people actually defended an obviously hurt elite player?

Guess he is in the gym, roiding it up

Probably JXC, he's a notorious Giroux hater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad