Proposal: Girardi to the Leafs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The biggest problem is Girardi causes future cap problems and since we can't see the future, GMs wouldn't risk adding him because the reward isn't very high.
I appreciate your effort but adding 3rds don't come close to making this work for the Leafs. The only way the Leafs would take him is if the risk was removed...IE. 50% retention.

Lupul is LTIR...no cap issue. The problem with the whole premise of Girardi to Toronto is he just doesn't fit. We are building a team based on speed and skill....Girardi doesn't fit. In that scheme. We already have Polak/Hunwick filling the role Girardi would for alot less time and cap. If you want TO to help you out of Girardi's contract...you would need to offer something really good...3rds aren't it. Rangers are better buying him out than paying the asset(s) it would take for a team to take him.

I would have thought multiple 3tds and a sweetener would be enough, but the principal objective here is have flexibility with the expansion draft. That's it. I hear what you guys are saying, but like Liferleafer said, may not be worth it.

Hypothetical - only since we have come this far....
let's say I considered your demand and agreed to Girardi 5.5 at half, = 2/75

NOW what does it cost for you to take him

CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL

you are expected to take a pound of flesh in the name of self interest, I don't begrudge you THAT.

However, greedy overreach will = no

take a bit and think it over
consider that Gorton is of the same mind with me on young and fast and currency considered will not include anything like Miller, Kreider, Buch, Zib, Vesey, Grabner, Hayes....

what are you looking for?

Have the feeling not much other than Klein is a match

again, for Girardi AT HALF

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would have thought multiple 3tds and a sweetener would be enough, but the principal objective here is have flexibility with the expansion draft. That's it. I hear what you guys are saying, but like Liferleafer said, may not be worth it.

Hypothetical - only since we have come this far....
let's say I considered your demand and agreed to Girardi 5.5 at half, = 2/75

NOW what does it cost for you to take him

CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL

you are expected to take a pound of flesh in the name of self interest, I don't begrudge you THAT.

However, greedy overreach will = no

take a bit and think it over
consider that Gorton is of the same mind with me on young and fast and currency considered will not include anything like Miller, Kreider, Buch, Zib, Vesey, Grabner, Hayes....

what are you looking for?

Have the feeling not much other than Klein is a match

again, for Girardi AT HALF
The bottom line here Bern is that it isn't what we are looking for....but more for what we aren't. We are not looking to add players/contracts like Girardi. It would take a piece that Gorton wouldn't want to give. We aren't going to fill a roster spot with Girardi for the next 4 years when we hope to be competitive in less than that.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The bottom line here Bern is that it isn't what we are looking for....but more for what we aren't. We are not looking to add players/contracts like Girardi. It would take a piece that Gorton wouldn't want to give. We aren't going to fill a roster spot with Girardi for the next 4 years when we hope to be competitive in less than that.

fair enough.
I went this one last mile to provide courtesy to poster Brock Radunske
who had premised something at a half could be doable.
However, I am still not seeing a reasonable middle.

You have a right to prefer status quo to extra picks, etc, vs the cost of acquiring them.

peace out

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
fair enough.
I went this one last mile to provide courtesy to poster Brock Radunske
who had premised something at a half could be doable.
However, I am still not seeing a reasonable middle.

You have a right to prefer status quo to extra picks, etc, vs the cost of acquiring them.

peace out

Appreciate the talk Bern....if this were last season, i probably would have been more accommodating, but our management made some huge steps during our last year and the team is performing well. I can see us dealing vets for futures at the deadline (Hunwick/Polak/Bozak/Komorov) because we won't be contending for a playoff spot. I have no issue taking a short term bad contract, but Girardi is just signed to long.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
1st off, i'm not the guy calling Girardi the worst D man in the NHL. But this is a trade proposal involving a team i support, so my responses are in answer to that. Girardi isn't an upgrade on what we have, and his contract is a detriment. If he is working out for NY, that's great....i just don't want Toronto to give up assets for Girardi.

I'm a fan of the idea of not giving up assets at all until you're at the point where you're in striking distance. This said, having a good veteran presence is also important for young players, so I suppose there's some balance needed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Appreciate the talk Bern....if this were last season, i probably would have been more accommodating, but our management made some huge steps during our last year and the team is performing well. I can see us dealing vets for futures at the deadline (Hunwick/Polak/Bozak/Komorov) because we won't be contending for a playoff spot. I have no issue taking a short term bad contract, but Girardi is just signed to long.

I also enjoyed our chat... nice to have some civil discourse when every so often things get ugly.

We are all 3 of us somewhat on the same page, but not at the same place. Brock Radunske's point about reducing to half has the result of = the same term contract for less $ by TO. So yes, he technically remains signed too long, but at 2.75 or even 3 it is not 'bad' or at least as bad.

Be that as it may
unless an angel of the Lord comes by this Christmas season with a divine revelation
that makes us all happy on this subject
unless someone sees something else overlooked, that's it for now

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I also enjoyed our chat... nice to have some civil discourse when every so often things get ugly.

We are all 3 of us somewhat on the same page, but not at the same place. Brock Radunske's point about reducing to half has the result of = the same term contract for less $ by TO. So yes, he technically remains signed too long, but at 2.75 or even 3 it is not 'bad' or at least as bad.

Be that as it may
unless an angel of the Lord comes by this Christmas season with a divine revelation
that makes us all happy on this subject
unless someone sees something else overlooked, that's it for now

Yup, and that's my bone of contention...if the need is there to sign a vet, we can do that via UFA by giving a short term low cap deal for a bottom pair guy. Tying up a roster spot for 4-5 years, even at 3 mil, just isn't prudent, especially when it's believed the Leafs will be looking for a top 4D, that means Hunwick can walk, we still have Polak for another year (unfortunately) and can go with Carrick/Corrado/Marlies call up to pair him with.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yup, and that's my bone of contention...if the need is there to sign a vet, we can do that via UFA by giving a short term low cap deal for a bottom pair guy. Tying up a roster spot for 4-5 years, even at 3 mil, just isn't prudent, especially when it's believed the Leafs will be looking for a top 4D, that means Hunwick can walk, we still have Polak for another year (unfortunately) and can go with Carrick/Corrado/Marlies call up to pair him with.

My bad, I should have put an asterisk.
He is 3 years after this.
But it is only prohibitive to buy him out this year. As next season moves on, the amount reduces considerably.

Not saying that is not a cost factor, but I had impression it was somewhat clear that it was an option in your leveraging all potential costs/outcomes as to the price you would charge.

Again be that as it may, I have your position on record.
If you move other pieces and based on that shift gears and want the bribe, let us know.
My suspicion is at this point we will buy him out, before exp if necessary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad