Proposal: Girardi to the Leafs

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
That's hfboards to a tee. Barely anyone watches more than their own team but talk out of their ***** because they have an agenda.

Thank you sir!

I love talking hockey and value a discussion on ideological differences. Heck, its great to even debate subjective differences in player values. However, jumping on bandwagons and talking in absolutes with extreme views on topics you know nothing about is complete ignorance that destroys the ability to have real discussions.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
The fact you think we should give up assets to acquire Girardi and that he will improve our defence is astounding to me.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I think Girardi is still an okay Dman that is good enough to be bottom pair on most teams. That said, we misuse him and he is in fact well overpaid.

Just wait till he is bought out in the off-season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think Girardi is still an okay Dman that is good enough to be bottom pair on most teams. That said, we misuse him and he is in fact well overpaid.

Just wait till he is bought out in the off-season.
That may well be; I've not followed closely enough to know whether the horror I've seen is due to being out of his depth on the top pair or out of his depth as an NHLer. The latter is the popular conclusion given his atrociously bad shot statistics, but there can still be a niche for such guys.

Or, put differently, I don't see it but I suppose it's not impossible.

we're not trading for him tho

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Girardi is the worst defensemen in the NHL

If that's what you really believe, then you don't watch too many games outside of NYR. The only way he's considered the worst d-man is if you're using his contract against him to justify it. His role should absolutely be reduced, but what should he say "No, coach, don't play me this much"? If Girardi's role was reduced and his contract wasn't as high, he wouldn't even be in the conversation for worst d-man.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If that's what you really believe, then you don't watch too many games outside of NYR. The only way he's considered the worst d-man is if you're using his contract against him to justify it. His role should absolutely be reduced, but what should he say "No, coach, don't play me this much"? If Girardi's role was reduced and his contract wasn't as high, he wouldn't even be in the conversation for worst d-man.

I love how we keep talking about Girardi's "role" and completely ignore that his role has granted him an absolutely sick Quality of Teammates.

He leads the league in QoT relative to the rest of his team, and the gap is cartoonish. If #2 is standing on top of a mountain, Girardi is on the ****ing moon.

The man has an unheard of Quality of Teammates. He's been specifically tailored to play with the best players on the Rangers at all times, almost to the point where AV has to know he sucks and is sheltering him.

He's been handed every chance to succeed on the silver platter. And he's still god awful.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Girardi worse defenseman in NHL? Give me a fkn break.

Girardi is a solid dman who has had a good season so far. His contract is pretty bad but he is still a worthy dman.

His weakpoint is his puck movement. Last year he was really bad for give aways and icing the puck unnecessarily. He has been more defensive minded and no made many mistakes this year.

He has been stronger in possession, getting himself into much better positions and is one of the best when shot blocking.

Its amazing how his value has crashed after one fairly bad season.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1613485&highlight=girardi

Seriously get a grip people. The fact that people are naming him the worse defenseman in the NHL is embarrasing.

He was immense in our presidents trophy season and started strong last season that got very bad from December onwards, as did the rest of the team. Hes an easy target for criticism and it really isnt fair.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Can I get some feedback other than no? You want to get players without giving up value?

Girardi was okay a few years ago but now he's dead-weight.

NYR couldn't get the ocean to take him off their hands if they tied an anchor to his feet and threw him overboard.

By contrast, Bracco has top 6 potential and is drawing comparisons to Gaudreau.

This proposal is so catastrophically bad for Toronto that I'm going to have to ask for your fan card.

Go take up knitting...

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Girardi worse defenseman in NHL? Give me a fkn break.

Girardi is a solid dman who has had a good season so far. His contract is pretty bad but he is still a worthy dman.

His weakpoint is his puck movement. Last year he was really bad for give aways and icing the puck unnecessarily. He has been more defensive minded and no made many mistakes this year.

He has been stronger in possession, getting himself into much better positions and is one of the best when shot blocking.

Its amazing how his value has crashed after one fairly bad season.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1613485&highlight=girardi

Seriously get a grip people. The fact that people are naming him the worse defenseman in the NHL is embarrasing.

He was immense in our presidents trophy season and started strong last season that got very bad from December onwards, as did the rest of the team. Hes an easy target for criticism and it really isnt fair.

He's actually terrible. If you call this a good season for him, I don't have anything to say ...
He's the reason McDonagh isn't as effective as he should be, entirely dragging him down.

Girardi 2016-2017:
CF%Reltm: -7.2 (LAST on team), 2nd worst has -0.1
CAReltm: 10.94 (LAST on team), 2nd worst has 1.2
CFReltm: -5.22 (LAST on team), 2nd worst has -3.89
This year and last year his GA60 numbers aren't bad, he has a high PDO (basically means his goalies saving his ass when he's on the ice). Before last season, Girardi's goal stats were also terrible (not that I look at goal stats too much but still). When you watch him, his mistakes are so bad. Terrible decision making that leads to clearing the puck to the other team/bad passes all the time.

I'd rather play Hunwick on the top pairing again than bring Girardi to Toronto to play with Rielly.
It's ridiculous how much Girardi has dragged down McDonagh.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
OP hasn't been around for a few pages. Probably suffering PTSD from the unanimous negative responses from his horrible proposal :laugh:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
OP hasn't been around for a few pages. Probably suffering PTSD from the unanimous negative responses from his horrible proposal :laugh:

It's just that the Leafs are building a team based on speed, you can already see that Hunwick/Polak are having issues, why on earth would we inject Girardi into that.

Then there is that little matter of Girardi's contract.....ya, nuff said.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
He's actually terrible. If you call this a good season for him, I don't have anything to say ...
He's the reason McDonagh isn't as effective as he should be, entirely dragging him down.

Girardi 2016-2017:
CF%Reltm: -7.2 (LAST on team), 2nd worst has -0.1
CAReltm: 10.94 (LAST on team), 2nd worst has 1.2
CFReltm: -5.22 (LAST on team), 2nd worst has -3.89
This year and last year his GA60 numbers aren't bad, he has a high PDO (basically means his goalies saving his ass when he's on the ice). Before last season, Girardi's goal stats were also terrible (not that I look at goal stats too much but still). When you watch him, his mistakes are so bad. Terrible decision making that leads to clearing the puck to the other team/bad passes all the time.

I'd rather play Hunwick on the top pairing again than bring Girardi to Toronto to play with Rielly.
It's ridiculous how much Girardi has dragged down McDonagh.

Your seriously bringing corsi into this? Rangers as a whole were near enough the worst in the league the last 2 seasons when it comes to Corsi stats and we won the presidents trophy, made it to the ECF and had 2 playoff appreances in those 2 years. I watch the Rangers every single game and there is a massive improvement from last year. There is more to hockey than stats.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It's just that the Leafs are building a team based on speed, you can already see that Hunwick/Polak are having issues, why on earth would we inject Girardi into that.

Then there is that little matter of Girardi's contract.....ya, nuff said.
Oh I agree.
I'd kill the OP's proposal with fire if I could.
Horribad.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Your seriously bringing corsi into this? Rangers as a whole were near enough the worst in the league the last 2 seasons when it comes to Corsi stats and we won the presidents trophy, made it to the ECF and had 2 playoff appreances in those 2 years. I watch the Rangers every single game and there is a massive improvement from last year. There is more to hockey than stats.
Lets put it this way....is it fair to say that the Rangers are a tad better overall than Toronto? Yes? Ok...so imagine taking Girardi away from McDonagh and everything else the Rangers have and inject him into the rookie driven element that is Toronto. How do you think Girardi would fair here? Your own coach doesn't trust him enough to play him away from McDonagh. ...or has Girardi played well enough to earn top pair?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The last time I saw Girardi play, the team against him had 38 shot attempts in the 19 minutes of ES time he was on the ice. Yes, he's atrocious and I'm fairly confident in that statement.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
The last time I saw Girardi play, the team against him had 38 shot attempts in the 19 minutes of ES time he was on the ice. Yes, he's atrocious and I'm fairly confident in that statement.

Amazing stat, and to think the other 4 players on ice with him are not mentioned anywhere. As is, he is the go to guy for anything that goes wrong. 38 shot attempts in 1 game.

Where's the criticism for Suter, Ekman-Larsson, Karlsson, Ristolainen etc? These players have the highest shot against attempts in the entire league. Dont forget Brent Burns, Klingberg and Keith as well.

......and no, im not comparing Girardi to those players but using the shot attempts against stat is useless in this because all the names above make up the top 12 SAA.

Also, dont forget that he is 4th in the league in blocked shots.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Amazing stat, and to think the other 4 players on ice with him are not mentioned anywhere. As is, he is the go to guy for anything that goes wrong. 38 shot attempts in 1 game.

Where's the criticism for Suter, Ekman-Larsson, Karlsson, Ristolainen etc? These players have the highest shot against attempts in the entire league. Dont forget Brent Burns, Klingberg and Keith as well.

......and no, im not comparing Girardi to those players but using the shot attempts against stat is useless in this because all the names above make up the top 12 SAA.

Also, dont forget that he is 4th in the league in blocked shots.

That's because he's constantly hemmed in his own zone...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We know he is highly flawed
The ? is, if there is any scenario in which it pays Rangers to bribe and a receiving club to take on that contract, even if it is temporary in that he gets bought out end of.after next year

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Wouldn't the Leafs by 100 X better if next summer, they overpaid for a UFA like Stone instead of having 4m Girardi on your team and giving up assets.
Don't understand why fans keep on wanting the Leafs to trade when come the summer they have cap space and the protection list made by all teams might expose some number "4" who will available for trading.
And Girardi? C'mon

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I would ride a unicycle with Girardi on my shoulders all the way to Toronto if we can make this deal happen.

Girardi is a #8 who gets to play 20 minutes a game because AV enjoys watching the Rangers get dominated for some reason. Seriously, the effects of Girardi being on the ice are similar to the effects of being on the penalty kill. Nobody is given a better chance to succeed and he just blows it repeatedly. Even if you don't want to talk about stats (aka objective analysis), he has the worst gap control on the team, skates like a slug, throws the puck off the boards to no one if there is an opposing player within 10 yards of him, and attempts these ridiculous 2 line outlet passes all game that maybe convert 1/20 times. He is no better than Hunwick, but your coach may play him more because of #heart and #leadership.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
So what about Erik Karlsson, 2nd in shot blocking and 3rd for shot attempts against. Wheres the criticism for him? I take he is not constantly hemmed in his own zone.

Because he can compensate for his shot attempts against with many more shot attempts for. Once Karlsson gets the puck back, Ottawa has a good chance of developing a scoring chance and scoring. Girardi can never get the puck back when defending, so that's why he's just a black hole of scoring chances against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad