Proposal: Girardi to the Leafs

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He's exactly what the Leafs need. Vet, experience, can play the top pair and help shut down teams.

Proposal:

Rangers:
Bracco
Conditional 2018 2nd rounder based on the Leafs making the playoffs in the 2017-2018 season
Michalek for cap reasons (Expires after this year)

Leafs:
Girardi 30% retained (~ 4m AAV)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's exactly what the Leafs need. Vet, experience, can play the top pair and help shut down teams.

Proposal:

Rangers:
Bracco
Conditional 2018 2nd rounder based on the Leafs making the playoffs in the 2017-2018 season

Leafs:
No, just no.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Proposal:

Rangers:
Bracco

Leafs:

Absolutely no in every way i can possibly say it.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
haha bracco, signed bracco poster for giradi and a 3rd. They were giving him away in the offseason now we throw in a very good prospect

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Can I get some feedback other than no? You want to get players without giving up value?

Girardi has less than zero value....Rangers could offer him for free and my answer is still a resounding no.

Feedback? Sure, Girardi is slow and his contract is vomit worthy.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
Girardi is not a good player anymore. I struggle to see how you don't see that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Can I get some feedback other than no? You want to get players without giving up value?
Girardi is old, has negative value, is signed long-term (even 4 million is too much), is terrible possession wise and his body is breaking down because his only skills at this point is jumping in front of pucks. I wouldn't trade Nathan Horton for him at 50% retained.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013

Proposal:

Rangers:
Bracco

Leafs:

Good job, you just fueled Bernmeister for another week... In before his Matthews for Stepan +++ package

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Girardi is old, has negative value, is signed long-term (even 4 million is too much), is terrible possession wise and his body is breaking down because his only skills at this point is jumping in front of pucks. I wouldn't trade Nathan Horton for him at 50% retained.

There is no way he can be any worse than Polak or Hunwik. He's playing a contending teams top pair, he can't be as bad as advertised. I feel like he gets unfairly hated on here.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is no way he can be any worse than Polak or Hunwik. He's playing a contending teams top pair, he can't be as bad as advertised. I feel like he gets unfairly hated on here.
Are Polak and Hunwick signed til 2020? Girardi makes more than them at 50% retained and is a long-term commitment. He's 32 and plays a game that doesn't age well. Trading anything for him would be a disaster and would hurt us long term.

He is a terrible possession player, and always has been. Trading for him to replace Hunwick or Polak short term is one of the dumbest things management could do.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Some people just need to talk less and learn more... Watch some other team's games or at least listen to what their fans are saying.

Girardi is absolutely worse than Polak or Hunwick. "Why?" you may ask? While he may be the same skill level or marginally better (I don't know. I don't watch the Leafs or Rangers very much to know for sure) than Polak or Hunwick, the two Leafs' defensemen's contracts at least expire this year and are relatively cheap. Girardi's, on the other hand, goes for 3 more years at $5.5 million per year! That's insane for a barely NHL Dman.

In no way do you want any part of Girardi. Just be patient with your team. Don't feel the need to trade away valuable future assets for a couple more meaningless wins this year.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Some people just need to talk less and learn more... Watch some other team's games or at least listen to what their fans are saying.

Girardi is absolutely worse than Polak or Hunwick. "Why?" you may ask? While he may be the same skill level or marginally better (I don't know. I don't watch the Leafs or Rangers very much to know for sure) than Polak or Hunwick, the two Leafs' defensemen's contracts at least expire this year and are relatively cheap. Girardi's, on the other hand, goes for 3 more years at $5.5 million per year! That's insane for a barely NHL Dman.

In no way do you want any part of Girardi. Just be patient with your team. Don't feel the need to trade away valuable future assets for a couple more meaningless wins this year.

He would be signed to a ~4AAV for the next 3 years, which with all the cap space, will be very digestible. His value to us is more than just on ice, as the D needs a solid vet who has been a top pairing guy for a long time.

Bracco is more of the same for us. Babcock won't want him, he doesn't play defense and is small. We have lots of those guys, and while he will be good, I think he's a 2nd liner at best. Let's not act like the Leafs are offering Matthews here.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

His contract status alone make him worse....and he is "maybe" marginally better skillwise.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He would be signed to a ~4AAV for the next 3 years, which with all the cap space, will be very digestible. His value to us is more than just on ice, as the D needs a solid vet who has been a top pairing guy for a long time.

Bracco is more of the same for us. Babcock won't want him, he doesn't play defense and is small. We have lots of those guys, and while he will be good, I think he's a 2nd liner at best. Let's not act like the Leafs are offering Matthews here.

Not by Toronto he wouldn't. Hell, i'd make an offer to Anahiem for Stoner 1st...less years, less cap and better player.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015

You would have to hope that Girardi would offer something off the ice because the ice turns into a blackhole when he's on it. Almost any asset in comparison to Girardi has value. You don't want to waste anything for that guy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I would rather offer Hunwick a 3 year extension at his current price than trade anything for Girardi at 50% retained.

And no, that 4m isn't easily digestible. It is wasted money for when we are trying to contend. Don't you realize all the bad contracts we acquired expire after this season? It because we want to target being a playoff team in 2017-18 and a contender in 2018-19. I don't want Girardi on the books for when we have to extend Nylander, Matthews and Marner.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
lol oh my god I'll carry him on my back to Toronto for a 6th round pick.

hahahahahahahahah

oh my

you'd be shocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->