Girard vs. Q. Hughes

Girard vs. Q. Hughes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yes because Girard before this season was known as such a defensive stopper.

he is a defensive stopper bro, Hughes is a liability. I hope we can trade Hughes for Girard. Too bad Sakic says no, cause Girard defensive game Hughes will never reach.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
he is a defensive stopper bro, Hughes is a liability. I hope we can trade Hughes for Girard. Too bad Sakic says no, cause Girard defensive game Hughes will never reach.
Finally a comment that speaks the truth :sarcasm:

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
1 overrated player vs 1 incredibly underrated player. It's a good question for sure. My pick is Girard as of today but it's really close. I'd say I'd rather have Hughes long term but Girard's 7x5m deal is looking like an absolute bargain already so I'd rather that.

Colorado's future on D is scary good.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Lol. I figured Huggy Bear would win. He has to win a poll sometimes, right? If I wanted it to end like I wanted it to be, Makar would be in the poll instead of Girard.
Your obsession with Hughes is bordering on creepy.
You literally mention Quinn on the Avs board during a GDT when one of your D does something good, pathetic and insecure comes to mind.
Let me return the favor, Cale is made of glass and spends 90% of his time with the top line, while Quinn spends a lot of time with our studs in the bottom six.
Girard isn't in the same stratosphere as Quinn.
Imagine if the Avs D faced teams that could score on a regular basis as opposed to playing in the most offensively challenged division.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Hype, not much else

Girard is fairly unknown to many so the thought that he is the better hockey player at the moment might seem absurd
Hype? 70 point pace as a rookie, ppg in the playoffs, top 4 in points this season basically one drafted in 2016 one in 2018.
And let's be real here the Avs were considered elite and are a tier above the Nucks. The last 15 games Hughes along with the whole team have settled in and played much better. Put Quinn on the Avs and see his D numbers shine.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
You literally mention Quinn on the Avs board during a GDT when one of your D does something good, pathetic and insecure comes to mind.
Let me return the favor, Cale is made of glass and spends 90% of his time with the top line, while Quinn spends a lot of time with our studs in the bottom six.
Imagine if the Avs D faced teams that could score on a regular basis as opposed to playing in the most offensively challenged division.
Lmao!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Girard is most definitely ‘in the same stratosphere’ as Hughes.

He’s actually outperforming Hughes this season. I still like Hughes upside long term, but to act like they’re not close doesn’t make any sense.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hype? 70 point pace as a rookie, ppg in the playoffs, top 4 in points this season basically one drafted in 2016 one in 2018.
And let's be real here the Avs were considered elite and are a tier above the Nucks. The last 15 games Hughes along with the whole team have settled in and played much better. Put Quinn on the Avs and see his D numbers shine.
Girard is the better player at this moment. He is the total package except for a muffin shot and size to bully forwards.

Since you only care about points. Girard has the higher PPG and on a 70 point pace in a full season. On top of that he is much better defensively than Hughes. If you have an elimination game tomorrow, you should be picking Girard.

For some reason a lot of posters here are taking the mindset that Girard is some older veteran on a career year and only Hughes has the potential to improve. Girard is only 1 year older than Hughes and has improved significantly every single season he has been in the league, he might still take another step in the coming years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Girard is not excellent defensively. Come on.
Wtf lol. Perhaps you’re just trolling and if so you got me but Girard is known as a defense first defenseman. He literally played all of last season as Colorado’s #1D matching up against other teams top lines and was phenomenal in shutting them down.

With the acquisition of Toews, Girard’s defensive responsibility isn’t nearly as heavy as it was a year ago but he’s still playing just as strong defensively while being able to fully step up his offensive game now as well.

These comments questioning Girard’s defensive game when that was literally exactly what he was known for until he exploded offensively is mind boggling.

Sammy Girard was arguably THE best transition defenseman in hockey the two previous season before this one, was great defensively and now this year is 8th among NHL D in points per game. He does everything at a high level.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
If Girard was three inches taller, shaved his face, and drafted a round earlier the poll would be closer.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Girard is a magician, one of the more underrated dmen and I'm of the opinion this very year he'd probably help the Canucks more than Hughes can. On the other hand it's difficult to compare them especially in this season because they basically play in two different leagues and on two very different teams. Seeing what Hughes has already done offensively in his short career and expecting him to improve defensively simply by getting more experience he probably is the correct long term answer.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Colorado fans at it again. Holy f*** you guys are OBSESSED with Q Hughes.

Tbh you sound like the obsessed one here.

Girard and Hughes are a good comparison. Stylistically similar and close in age. Hughes has the edge on offense and Girard the edge on defense. I think both will close the gap in each area as they develop.

I'm not sure about Girard over Hughes here but as an Avs fan I'm just happy the comparison is being made at all because Hughes is a stud. Girard finally starting to get some recognition.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Tbh you sound like the obsessed one here.

Girard and Hughes are a good comparison. Stylistically similar and close in age. Hughes has the edge on offense and Girard the edge on defense. I think both will close the gap in each area as they develop.

I'm not sure about Girard over Hughes here but as an Avs fan I'm just happy the comparison is being made at all because Hughes is a stud. Girard finally starting to get some recognition.
TBH this is like the 5th hughes thread a avs fan has made. You guys are obsessed.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I'm not really surprised by some of the responses in here, a lot of Avs fans tend to think that they have the best player at ever position, "Girard is arguably the best defenceman at transition" LOL. That being said its probably Girard right now but Hughes long term by a decent margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad