Value of: (Girard) Avs prepare for the expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
HAHAHAHAHA

no

Given that Makar will sign a monster deal, with the contract Girard has he's probably the most valuable player in the Avs assets wise (well, MacK currently but he will get a new deal soon enough, Girard is locked long term).

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
HAHAHAHAHA

no

Given that Makar will sign a monster deal, with the contract Girard has he's probably the most valuable player in the Avs assets wise (well, MacK currently but he will get a new deal soon enough, Girard is locked long term).

I'm hoping that Makar wants to play on the best team in the NHL and get multiple shots at the Cup more than he wants to maximize his AAV.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm hoping that Makar wants to play on the best team in the NHL and get multiple shots at the Cup more than he wants to maximize his AAV.
Sure, but even if he takes a discount 8x9mil, that Girard contract would probably still be more valuable. Of cource, it remains to be seen if this season was his all time high and next season he's not quite on the same level, but Girard has arguably been more important for the Avs this season than Makar.

That 7x5mil contract was a small gamble by Sakic, and so far it seems it has paid off greatly.

Reactions: iand22

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Sure, but even if he takes a discount 8x9mil, that Girard contract would probably still be more valuable. Of cource, it remains to be seen if this season was his all time high and next season he's not quite on the same level, but Girard has arguably been more important for the Avs this season than Makar.

That 7x5mil contract was a small gamble by Sakic, and so far it seems it has paid off greatly.

Is $9m really a discount? That would still be top 5 in terms of AAV among D in the NHL, which seems close to market value. I was thinking a team friendly discount lands him somewhere closer to the $8m range.

I also wasn't trying to compare him to Girard in terms of value. Samwise was our best defenseman as a 19 year old rookie, and even I could tell there was something special about him and I don't get paid to evaluate hockey players. Plus $5m is a high end 2nd pairing guy, which looked like a pretty sure bet based on his body of work when the contract was signed. I hope he continues to improve and we see even more of the offensive skills that he showed in the Q.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is $9m really a discount? That would still be top 5 in terms of AAV among D in the NHL, which seems close to market value. I was thinking a team friendly discount lands him somewhere closer to the $8m range.

I also wasn't trying to compare him to Girard in terms of value. Samwise was our best defenseman as a 19 year old rookie, and even I could tell there was something special about him and I don't get paid to evaluate hockey players. Plus $5m is a high end 2nd pairing guy, which looked like a pretty sure bet based on his body of work when the contract was signed. I hope he continues to improve and we see even more of the offensive skills that he showed in the Q.

$9m a discount for Makar? Yes. There isn't a better D-man than him. If he wants to get greedy he could get $11m per.

Reactions: LOFIN

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The premise of this thread is funny. When you are talking about talents like Girard on steal contracts, the expansion draft is irrelevant. As a Jackets fan I'd happily send Seth Jones for him.

Reactions: McJedi

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I mean, these seems pretty ridiculous. From what I understand Avs don't have to protect Bryam or Newhook. So just protect Makar/Girard/Toews/Johnson and 4 forwards. Landeskog is UFA, so if you can get an agreement to sign after July 1st then no problem and you can protect MacKinnon/Rantanen/Kadri/Burakovsky. If he needs to be signed and protected, then choose between exposing Kadri/Burakovsky.

Or optimally if Johnson will waive then there's no issue at all.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
$9m a discount for Makar? Yes. There isn't a better D-man than him. If he wants to get greedy he could get $11m per.

Yes and No. I hope he doesn't win the Norris due to that.

But we are talking about 4 RFA years here. Those should be significantly cheaper than UFA years. So hopefully 8-9m on a 6-8 year is what it will end up.
Might be a tad too optimistic but the guys will have to take a bit less to keep it all together and as an Avs fan I obviously hope it happens.. Hopefully they all buy-in enough to do so...

MacWinnon

Jul 2, 2012
Mountains, Somewhere
Just no chance Girard gets traded or even is an option to move in Sakic's mind. The only way he gets traded is for a young top 4 D AND a top 6 center, which probably wouldn't make much sense for the other team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes and No. I hope he doesn't win the Norris due to that.

But we are talking about 4 RFA years here. Those should be significantly cheaper than UFA years. So hopefully 8-9m on a 6-8 year is what it will end up.
Might be a tad too optimistic but the guys will have to take a bit less to keep it all together and as an Avs fan I obviously hope it happens.. Hopefully they all buy-in enough to do so...

That would be a discount on top of a discount.

McDavid is RFA age too. Beyond a certain talent level you just got to pay the man.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I mean, these seems pretty ridiculous. From what I understand Avs don't have to protect Bryam or Newhook. So just protect Makar/Girard/Toews/Johnson and 4 forwards. Landeskog is UFA, so if you can get an agreement to sign after July 1st then no problem and you can protect MacKinnon/Rantanen/Kadri/Burakovsky. If he needs to be signed and protected, then choose between exposing Kadri/Burakovsky.

Or optimally if Johnson will waive then there's no issue at all.

Jost would be protected over Bura or Kadri

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If the avs want to keep certain players, why don't they just trade a pick to Seattle so they select a certain player? That's pretty much what Vegas did and it works out just fine.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I agree he's among the best in the league, but somewhere around $9m - $9.5m seems about where he really should end up, given the market conditions. With the flat cap, I just don't think that we're going to see new record contracts handed out. I also think/hope that players are starting to learn the realities of the salary cap era, which is that maximizing your salary can hurt your chances to win the Cup, because you've got that much less cap space to sign good depth guys. I get wanting to get paid, but wanting to win should also factor into things. Is a decade of being on a serious contender worth giving up $1.5m in AAV, from $9.5 down to $8m? Or do you demand top dollar, consequences be damned?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree he's among the best in the league, but somewhere around $9m - $9.5m seems about where he really should end up, given the market conditions. With the flat cap, I just don't think that we're going to see new record contracts handed out. I also think/hope that players are starting to learn the realities of the salary cap era, which is that maximizing your salary can hurt your chances to win the Cup, because you've got that much less cap space to sign good depth guys. I get wanting to get paid, but wanting to win should also factor into things. Is a decade of being on a serious contender worth giving up $1.5m in AAV, from $9.5 down to $8m? Or do you demand top dollar, consequences be damned?

To me Makar is $10m+ on the market and $9m is with the team discount.

If Makar wanted to be greedy, he could go to Sakic and say $80m or straight to UFA and I walk, and Sakic would give him the $80m because he's that good or better. Makar won't do that, but my point is that $8m per is a discount on top of a discount.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That would be a discount on top of a discount.

McDavid is RFA age too. Beyond a certain talent level you just got to pay the man.

I agree Makar is going to get paid, but does Sakic need to just hand him a blank check and let him fill in the number? Or should a GM actually try to build the best team, including getting his star players to buy into a team first mentality that saves some cap space for the supporting cast?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree Makar is going to get paid, but does Sakic need to just hand him a blank check and let him fill in the number? Or should a GM actually try to build the best team, including getting his star players to buy into a team first mentality that saves some cap space for the supporting cast?

Try yes, Sakic should try and get Makar to buy into that.

I'm just trying to be clear on what the hypothetical market price would be if Makar didn't want to give a team discount.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
To me Makar is $10m+ on the market and $9m is with the team discount.

If Makar wanted to be greedy, he could go to Sakic and say $80m or straight to UFA and I walk, and Sakic would give him the $80m because he's that good or better. Makar won't do that, but my point is that $8m per is a discount on top of a discount.

I completely agree that he could demand $10m and Sakic would sign him. But, as you even say, that's being greedy. Which means that fair market is below that, probably in the $9 - 9.5 range. How is fair market a discount?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Try yes, Sakic should try and get Makar to buy into that.

I'm just trying to be clear on what the hypothetical market price would be if Makar didn't want to give a team discount.

I completely agree he could demand whatever he wants, and would probably get it from someone. But, is that worth leaving what is arguably the best team in the NHL when they are poised for a decade of contending? For that matter, would more money make Eichel happy in Buffalo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia