Value of: (Girard) Avs prepare for the expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Crosby straight up for Girard? Who declines?

Probably both.
Pens are never going to trade Crosby and that move would shut their remaining window because an aging Malkin down the middle isn't good enough to hold things together. They are better off gunning for another cup for another 1-2 years and then burn it down to the ground and go back to the tanking well. The next Crosby/Lemieux is probably already waiting for them there...

Avs can't do it for capreasons. 8.7m until 24-25 for a 34 year old (even if his name is Crosby) is probably not doable if we lose our best value contract by far in the process.
Only way that makes sense is if MacKinnon agrees to take a significant pay cut on his next contract in exchange for Sakic bringing in his best buddy to win a cup or two...
If that would be on the table, the Avs would probably have to seriously consider it (and probably do it). But that seems unlikely...

Last edited:

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Girard is one of the Avs top 5 most valuable assets and one of the key members in creating the teams identity (strong defence and elite transition). It would not make sense for a team to trade the kind of asset it would take to pry him away.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I'd rather eat glass and drink a bottle of laxative than watch Girard play for another team during this steal of a contract. There are plenty of nights where he is by far the best defenseman on the ice.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Crosby straight up for Girard? Who declines?

Both.

One is a franchise player that has played for the same organization his whole career. The Avs also have Kadri, so getting Crosby would be a luxury but perhaps a luxury they cannot afford.

I don't see why the Avs cannot just roll with Byram/Makar/Girard/Toews as their top 4 for the next decade. They can just have their third pairing play third pairing minutes while the other 4 get 22+ minutes.

tpedersen21

Jan 14, 2011
Minnesota
Both.

One is a franchise player that has played for the same organization his whole career. The Avs also have Kadri, so getting Crosby would be a luxury but perhaps a luxury they cannot afford.

I don't see why the Avs cannot just roll with Byram/Makar/Girard/Toews as their top 4 for the next decade. They can just have their third pairing play third pairing minutes while the other 4 get 22+ minutes.
If the Avs can get Crosby for Girard.. I say do it. Bank on Byram being solid. Put Crosby on this team?! I mean come on, that is just unfair.. I don't know anything about the cap though..

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I don‘t think there is even one player in the league you trade Girard for.
Sure, McDavid is great, but not worth losing 2-3 other players on a well balanced team.
And Barkov is a bargain, too, but you couldn‘t afford the next deal.
Atm there is no rookie worth Girard (and his bargain contract).
In a cap world this has to be the best contract for a contending team.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Girard has a ways to go to be what Josi was by the end of that contract, but Girard's first year of this contract ('20-21) was better than Josi's ('13-14) and was a full year younger. He's also not far away from being a top 10 D right now.

I'm also not saying their contracts were 1 for 1, but Josi's contract was the best in the league for that period and I think the only D contract right now that rivals Girard's is Slavin's in their age range. Overall it's Hedman.

Fair, Slavin always is the guy I think of as far as that goes but Girard isn't too far behind. Josi's deal was absurd by the end but so was most of Nashville's top 4

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
A 22 year old #1 defenseman who’s in the first year of a 7 year, 5M AAV contract? A lot. Like a stupid amount of value.

Jeez, I did a double take when I saw that age. I cant believe he's still that young because it feels like he has been around for a long while. And it blew mind to realize that
1. he only had a handful of games with Nashville (I thought it was way more) and that
2. Nashville at one point traded away Girard and Seth Jones for offensive upgrades. I know hindsight is 20/20, and they did it for offensive upgrades because they had a formidable blueline already, but holy cow.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I don‘t think there is even one player in the league you trade Girard for.
Sure, McDavid is great, but not worth losing 2-3 other players on a well balanced team.
And Barkov is a bargain, too, but you couldn‘t afford the next deal.
Atm there is no rookie worth Girard (and his bargain contract).
In a cap world this has to be the best contract for a contending team.
neutral fan but i think there are several players you would trade him for .

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
neutral fan but i think there are several players you would trade him for .
I think outside of maybe McDrai I wouldn’t trade Girard for basically anyone. He fits the system to a T and is locked up through his peak and prime at an absolute bargain.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There are several players I'd trade Girard for. Slavin, Hedman, Point, Theodore, McDavid (obviously), Barkov and probably Couturier. Probably a bunch more if I get to think of it.

He does have a fantastic contract though, which makes him such a good fit for Avs in that you can afford to keep other good players and still be under the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad