Gionta no longer with Habs signs with Buffalo

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
This. Also with the rise of Gallagher , who is pratically a younger Gio clone, made Gionta expendable

Letting him walk was the right move for the future

Clone in size and that's about it. They're different players.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Might have already been mentioned but Bergevin only willing to offer Gionta a 1 year deal even though Gionta came down from 3 years to 2 years.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Gionta is a lot better than the what-u-done-lately crowd will let you believe. But it's apparent in this business that when push comes to shove ultimately dollars can lure you to play anywhere.

I truly believe Gionta wanted to play in Montreal and that's a testament to management and the city and the fans, but when another team offers you millions more it's a no-brainer what's going to happen. Not criticizing player or management, but this cap world creates a new workplace for players. luckily fans have short memories. the new guy is the good guy and the cycle repeats

There won't be an appreciation thread for this player but I appreciate his contribution, and my memory extends as best it can for 5 years and not merely 3 weeks.

anonymous9739872329

May 3, 2006
Around MTL
If this man doesn't inspire leadership, I do not know who would.

gionta-irlandais.jpg

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Habs will miss Gionta a lot more than the keyboard quaterbacks on here believe.

I hope we don't miss him because others have stepped up and filled some of the roles that he filled, but ultimately I think his shoes will be harder to fill than people believe.

I think it's no coincidence that with he(and other good leaders) the Habs twice went to the conference final and the year he he got hurt, the 2nd half turned into a mess. I believe the habs dressing room is more solid now, but losing Gorges also hurts in that aspect.

Anybody can be a leader when the team is winning, it's when you lose 3 in a row where leaders step up, both in the room and especially on the ice. I think this is Price's team and hopefully guys like Markov Plekanec Prust Gallagher Subban and Pacioretty take bigger roles leadership-wise.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We'll miss the defensive side of his game but it will be nice not to see so many shots to the goalie crests... Good luck to him.

PricePkPatch*

The Habs will miss Gionta a lot more than the keyboard quaterbacks on here believe.

I hope we don't miss him because others have stepped up and filled some of the roles that he filled, but ultimately I think his shoes will be harder to fill than people believe.

I think it's no coincidence that with he(and other good leaders) the Habs twice went to the conference final and the year he he got hurt, the 2nd half turned into a mess. I believe the habs dressing room is more solid now, but losing Gorges also hurts in that aspect.

Anybody can be a leader when the team is winning, it's when you lose 3 in a row where leaders step up, both in the room and especially on the ice. I think this is Price's team and hopefully guys like Markov Plekanec Prust Gallagher Subban and Pacioretty take bigger roles leadership-wise.

While I don't disagree with your opinion there either, I think there's a lot of difference between losing your captain in an injury and not being prepared for it vs. not keeping your captain and going into the season with that attitude.

We have a young and battle-hardened leadership core that has emerged. Going to the ECF will do that do you.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Liked Gio and I think we got our monies worth out of him. He gave us some very good years in terms of production but as that waned his value as a leader was clear. The top of the circle shots to goalie chest were a bit annoying but okay.

Gio will be missed. However, no chance could we have been, or should have been, remotely close to that $12.75M three year deal. Also clear Gio should have taken that offer, no basis to say anything bad about the guy for doing so. Good luck Gio. Glad Gorges has a buddy there.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
For a guy that scored almost 30 goals in his first two seasons with us, you could see how much the bicep injuries hindered him. He still never gave up on most plays though, and became a grinder by default. He'd be scoring 20-25 if he hadn't gotten hurt, and he still managed 18 goals last season as a 3rd line, defensively-responsible winger.

He deserves much more appreciation than he's getting.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
For a guy that scored almost 30 goals in his first two seasons with us, you could see how much the bicep injuries hindered him. He still never gave up on most plays though, and became a grinder by default. He'd be scoring 20-25 if he hadn't gotten hurt, and he still managed 18 goals last season as a 3rd line, defensively-responsible winger.

He wasn't moved down to third line minutes until late in the season. I'm sure a lot of his early season PP time left a lot of people on this board with less hair on their head considering Galchenyuk was stapled to the bench.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life

He was one of the rare FAs that completely deserved what he got. He was the best player we got out of that 2009 spending spree (might've been Cammalleri had he not been shipped out for calling out our scrub ***** for what they were but that is irrelevant at the moment) and a real soldier for the Habs.

That said, he wasn't that effective anymore and it was only going to get worse. If we had signed him to that contract, we'd be kicking ourselves for the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad