Gionta and Markov staying with Habs?

Apr 28, 2010
Markov will probably be back. He is not the old Markov but he is still a valuable asset that is not easy to replace.

Gionta is not needed back after this year. If the habs were healthier, they could even start transitioning him into a lesser role immediately. Its time to move on and thank him for his services.

THIS. Came to post the same thing.

Markov should retire as a Hab.
Gionta should not come back. I like the guy but it is time to move on. I hope New Jersey will have a roster spot for him next season.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
We could see last night how much of a liability Markov is defensively :facepalm: I hoped they could re-sign him around 4mil a year, but the way he's playing right now, he might cost the same as he is right now...

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Gionta needs to go at the deadline. He's still doing nice and usefull little things, but Habs need to pass to the next step, and Gionta's not part of it. Starting at the deadline, it will be time to give more responsabilities to the youngsters.

Markov, on the other hand impresses me a lot. His intelligence makes up for his reducing speed, and I thing he still have 3-4 good years to offer as a seasoned veteran, as long as a young D progressively takes responsabilities from him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There is literally nothing right in the OP. Markov has been fantastic and is still a top-30 d-man in the league. Gio is not who he once was, and is probably a cap and size casualty. However, he still puts up points, plays tough minutes well and is the captain. Apart from Gally, he's the best of our Smurfs.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Markov isn't perfect and isn't the defenseman he used to be, but he will be better and cheaper than anything we'll find on the UFA market as a replacement. And we're undeniably a better team with him than not. I really see no reason not to keep him, unless his demands are crazy.

Gionta...I think it's time for an amicable split at the end of the year.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Markov isn't perfect and isn't the defenseman he used to be, but he will be better and cheaper than anything we'll find on the UFA market as a replacement. And we're undeniably a better team with him than not. I really see no reason not to keep him, unless his demands are crazy.

Gionta...I think it's time for an amicable split at the end of the year.

Boullion re-sign suggests that Gionta coming back (perhaps Briere type contract) is a strong possibility due to his 'character'. Not sure Habs are too worried about his size. If Boullion gets re-extended I'll probably lose it. :laugh:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Boullion re-sign suggests that Gionta coming back (perhaps Briere type contract) is a strong possibility due to his 'character'. Not sure Habs are too worried about his size. If Boullion gets re-extended I'll probably lose it. :laugh:

Depending on the UFA options, where our rookie wingers are at in their development, etc, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...but again, hopefully not longer than a 1 year term.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Markov been playing better paired with Subban. At 35 most I would offer is 1 year. Time to break in the Beaulieus and Nygrens at some point.

Gionta I woud keep this season, good to have a vet around who has won a cup. But replace him next year with a Leblanc.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Subban won Norris without him

oh really?

last year pk scored 26 out of 38 points (68%) on powerplay where he was paired with markov.

in 42 games last year subban scored 12 more powerplay points than in 81 games in 11./12. season when markov wasn't there for the most part to set him up one timers.

so basically, no markov- no norris.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Watching the last few games I think it's safe to say Markov is being treated as our #1D

MB just gave an older Briere a 2 x $4MM deal, can't see why he wouldn't go 3-4 x $5MM for Andrei given what a top 4 costs in UFA or a trade, hell Dan Boyle is 37 making $6.7MM

I see them locking up all their UFAs they want to keep, then Eller and then playing the cap poor card with PK to try and get him at $6.5MM

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Watching the last few games I think it's safe to say Markov is being treated as our #1D

MB just gave an older Briere a 2 x $4MM deal, can't see why he wouldn't go 3-4 x $5MM for Andrei given what a top 4 costs in UFA or a trade, hell Dan Boyle is 37 making $6.7MM

I see them locking up all their UFAs they want to keep, then Eller and then playing the cap poor card with PK to try and get him at $6.5MM

that might be what MB would like to sign him for, but there will be enough room for PK at over 7 Mil even if he is to give Eller 4Mil and Markov 5...

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
that might be what MB would like to sign him for, but there will be enough room for PK at over 7 Mil even if he is to give Eller 4Mil and Markov 5...

And a raise for Diaz to $3.5MM cause I don't see him getting moved, maybe a DD buyout on the books, a UFA winger to replace Gio, and need to keep an eye on 2015 to have some spare change to resign the Gallys

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
Would re-sign Markov at 4m, and Gio at 3 (If we can somehow get rido f DD)

but in reality, they will be getting much more than that in the UFA market.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Just lost on Gorges. Who is noticeable less of a player this year without Subban. At 35, be 36 next year, most I would offer Markov is 1 year at 4 million.

Good thing you are not the GM. The guy has been loyal to the Habs his whole career and is extremely under rated and all you want to offer him is a 1 year contract? Give him 3 or 4 years so he can retire as a Hab.

Rock On

May 29, 2006
Saint-Jean

I would too but that's not the way it works : discount or not there's no way Markov signs at 4 M$. Emelin at 4.1 set tue bar for 2014 signings. I bet on something between 5.5 and 6 for a 2 years deal or lower for 3 or 4 years ( maybe 5M$ x 4 years ).

For Gionta, I think it's a matter of readiness for LL. That, along with Briere's health and Desharnais' performances. For depth purpose, we need 10 steady top-9 forwards with Prust being the 10th.
2014-2015 (as of now) :
Eller
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Plekanec
Bournival
Bourque
Pacioretty
As our top-7

So we have 2 spots for #8 and # 9 guys in two of :
Leblanc
Briere
Desharnais
Gionta

10th Prust

So in the end, IMO MB won't sign an extension to Gio unless more than one of LL, Briere and Desharnais fail to be healthy for Briere or to have good enough performances for the 2 others.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

no chance, Gio will be gone. Its time to move on from him. I like him alot but its just time. We have guys in the system already that can fill his role for much much cheaper.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
no chance, Gio will be gone. Its time to move on from him. I like him alot but its just time. We have guys in the system already that can fill his role for much much cheaper.

I see MB dealing Gio to the Hawks for a 2nd at the deadline

Chance at a cup out of respect for the player

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Good thing you are not the GM. The guy has been loyal to the Habs his whole career and is extremely under rated and all you want to offer him is a 1 year contract? Give him 3 or 4 years so he can retire as a Hab.

There's no way we should give Markov a deal that long unless it's a really cheap deal. 2 years is what he should get.

If we lock up Subban, Gorges, Emelin AND Markov for long term our young players will have a way tougher time getting into our line-up.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I thought Gionta could be retainened at a smaller role i.e third line forward but the emerging of Bournival make him more than expendanble.

Next year I hope we keep Markov and ride those lines:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Bournival
Brière - Eller - Bourque
Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Moen - Leblanc - White

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Diaz
Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi/Drewiske

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Gionta goes, less midgets up front is better and he's not worth close to the 5 million he's getting. Good luck and thanks for the service.

Markov stays but takes a pay cut of at LEAST a million bucks. Sign him for 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad