Gionta and Markov staying with Habs?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Markov been playing better paired with Subban. At 35 most I would offer is 1 year. Time to break in the Beaulieus and Nygrens at some point.

Gionta I woud keep this season, good to have a vet around who has won a cup. But replace him next year with a Leblanc.

It goes both ways, Markov is a very easy guy to play with. He's always in good position and reads the play ridiculously well.

Subban won Norris without him

Markov wasn't on the Habs roster last year? News to me!

Gionta goes, less midgets up front is better and he's not worth close to the 5 million he's getting. Good luck and thanks for the service.

Markov stays but takes a pay cut of at LEAST a million bucks. Sign him for 2 years.

Gionta is easily worth 4 mil/year. When you consider his offense, above average defensive game plus you add the work ethic, character and leadership. That being said I could see scenarios where he is back and others where he isn't. I don't see him being re-signed at 5 mil cap hit though. 2 years at 7.5 mil is easily digestible for the Habs. The whole "midget" thing should not be on him, he plays fearlessly and isn't afraid of traffic, in fact most of his goals are within 10-15 feet out.

Markov signing at 4.75 mil/year is not very realistic. Maybe that's his cap hit if you sign him for 4-5 years and the salary drops in the last 2 years. If you sign him for 1-2 years he gets at least 5.5-6 mil/year if not more. Barring something unforseen, there are a lot of guys I'd move or let walk before him.

hogtownhabsfan*

I really don't see how we're going to afford Markov and Subban when signing both in addition to the contracts of Emelin and Gorges, will likely give us a top 4 on D costing north of 20 million dollars.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Gionta could be let go this summer. I don't see a trade this year. He's captain, NMC we're doing good. This all factors in.

But the team needs to get bigger up front and it seems to be the easy solution. Briere is a ?? at the moment and I don't think MB will trade Desharnais, so...

Markov? You resign him ASAP. It always baffles me when people do not realize how important and stabilizing a guy like Markov can be. Makes everyone around him better.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I like Gionta, but really don't see any way we can keep him next year. I really wish that Gionta and Briere traded contracts because I could handle Briere expiring this year and hanging onto Gionta for another year at $4M.

I'd also like to keep Markov. I think Markov and Pleks are our two most important vets and should be kept with the team through the rebuild. Again, though, really depends on what Markov thinks he's worth as a UFA.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I really don't see how we're going to afford Markov and Subban when signing both in addition to the contracts of Emelin and Gorges, will likely give us a top 4 on D costing north of 20 million dollars.

With the cap at 64 mil and probably going up to 67-68, spending 20-22 mil on your top 4 on defense is not that much, still leaves you 45 mil to sign your top 6 and top goalie plus depth players. I'm sure there are a lot of NHL teams paying that much...

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
In my opinion Markov is starting to become a burden on the Canadiens defence. I understand he has been a key player in the past and has proven a lot with the Canadiens but i think it is time for him to go. With a cap hit of almost 6m a year and him being on his last year of his contract, he either needs a lot less pay or to get traded to a team who is lacking on defence.

Brian Gionta is the captian of the team and i respect his leadership abilities with the habs but i dont think he is a good enough player. He is getting payed 5m a year and his contract also ends at the end of this season.

I don't see much value in these players but maybe they could be put in a package deal for some prospects or picks that would be able to fill their spots if they leave. This is all my opinion and I would like to hear some of your opinions.

since when has markov been a burden:help: ... i want him to retire a hab

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
How is Markov a burden if he's playing top3 minutes and dishing out points on the PP? You do realize that his free market value is at around 5m anyway, right? Gonchar got 10m/2yrs at his old age and he's half the defensive defenseman Markov is.

Can you properly qualify your thoughts about Markov, explain why you think he's a burden, and then offer up an adequate replacement or option?

Re: Gionta, well I think he is an NHL player but he does not fit our squad make up at all. He's not capable of being a top6 player on a team with size issues up front, that much is certain.

I often disagree with you... but not this time. Good analysis.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
We won't see success without Markov on this team and there aren't many replacements available. Markov is going to be on this team, likely until he retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad