Gionta and Markov staying with Habs?

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
If somehow MB can sign Vanek (buyout Briere & DD), I have no problems with Gionta on the 3rd line. But if they expect Gionta to be atop 6 forward, get his ass outta town!

As far as Markhov leaving, unless you somehow get a #1A d-man with Markhov's offensive ability in Montreal, Markhov stays.

My pseduo reaslistic / pipe dream

Pacioretty - Eller - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Prust - Bournival - Gionta
Moen - White - Parros

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray / Drewskie - Beaulieu / Tinordi

Vanek isn't signing here.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
If somehow MB can sign Vanek (buyout Briere & DD), I have no problems with Gionta on the 3rd line. But if they expect Gionta to be atop 6 forward, get his ass outta town!

As far as Markhov leaving, unless you somehow get a #1A d-man with Markhov's offensive ability in Montreal, Markhov stays.

My pseduo reaslistic / pipe dream

Pacioretty - Eller - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Prust - Bournival - Gionta
Moen - White - Parros

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray / Drewskie - Beaulieu / Tinordi

Vanek will sign in Minny.

cedouimet

Aug 3, 2005
Markov still is usefull

Id give him a 1year/5, 25m $
Or 2years/4m (a year)

He can drop really fast so each year is dropping the average

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Markov a burden on our defense? You mean the best power play quarterback in the league who logs 25 minutes a night and does a damn fine job with it?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

canadians76

Oct 28, 2013
Ontario,Canada
How is Markov a burden if he's playing top3 minutes and dishing out points on the PP? You do realize that his free market value is at around 5m anyway, right? Gonchar got 10m/2yrs at his old age and he's half the defensive defenseman Markov is.

Can you properly qualify your thoughts about Markov, explain why you think he's a burden, and then offer up an adequate replacement or option?

Re: Gionta, well I think he is an NHL player but he does not fit our squad make up at all. He's not capable of being a top6 player on a team with size issues up front, that much is certain.

Markov has played decent for the most part of the year, but the fact that he has had a history of injuries with his knee and has made some key turnovers in games just makes me think that he doesn't fit the spot. But I have been reading all of the responses and i have failed to realize his importance on the powerplay and who could be able to fill his spot for this year.

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
In my opinion Markov is starting to become a burden on the Canadiens defence.

He's Mtl best player in his zone. There's a reason he's on the PK 1st unit and also always on the ice to end the game when the score's close.

Brian Gionta is the captian of the team and i respect his leadership abilities with the habs but i dont think he is a good enough player. He is getting payed 5m a year and his contract also ends at the end of this season.

He'll likely resign for a 2-3 years at 3m or so a year.

I don't see much value in these players but maybe they could be put in a package deal for some prospects or picks that would be able to fill their spots if they leave. This is all my opinion and I would like to hear some of your opinions.

Habs are a playoffs team. Playoffs teams, thats team not in a total rebuild more (aka Oilers for example), dont trade away their vets for picks. This isnt NHL 2014.

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
Markov has played decent for the most part of the year, but the fact that he has had a history of injuries with his knee and has made some key turnovers in games just makes me think that he doesn't fit the spot. But I have been reading all of the responses and i have failed to realize his importance on the powerplay and who could be able to fill his spot for this year.

Dunno what games you're watching. Coaches certainly dont agree with you. Its quite apparent he's not the one donig the turnovers on his pairing.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

So basically you're saying that he's made some bad plays and that you have nothing else to say at all?

You'll fit in great here.

canadians76

Oct 28, 2013
Ontario,Canada
You do know, for example, Subban turned the puck over 5 times vs the Sharks, right? Want to go over the games prior to that?

If thats all you got, thats sad. Anyway, keep on trolling, its pointless ;)

I don't see why you are bringing up Subban into this, i was proving my point of my saying that he has turned the puck over in key points. That was Toronto's go-ahead goal, but whatever no biggy

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Markov isn't who he once was, but he's still a number 2 on this team, and most teams in the league. He isn't the problem, the weak d-depth that can't support him and PK properly is.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Markov is far from a burden. I could care less about Gio, however i wouldn't bring him back at his current price tag.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I think this post may be year to late as last year I was frustrated with Markov game in and game out. Although I think we all should have cut him some slack due to what kind of injury he was coming back from and length of time missed. Markov has been our second best D this year hands down. Did you see sick pass he made tonight when Plekanec scored?

Also Gionta I think is gone which I also hope but he did have his best game tonight in long while . thought he was flying out there tonight

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
If Markov is here for another year at ~4.75mil in a slightly diminished role (less defensive), I can live with it. He's started to get his rhythm back and we really can't replace him ATM without totally changing the look of our defence. However, we've got cap troubles if we hold onto him past next year.

Gionta, no. He's replaced by Leblanc, Thomas, or another prospect.

Pacioretty-Eller-Bourque
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bournival-DD/DB-Leblanc
Moen-White-Prust

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Beaulieu/Nygren
(Pateryn/Drewiske)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I thought Markov was a burden last season, but that might have been due to the condensed schedule. He's been very good this season, though it just began.

Gionta can leave. He adds nothing and apparently he enjoys taking stupid penalties now.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Yeah let's replace Markov with a younger, less experienced, less effective player just because we're tired of Markov.

He's proven himself at every single opportunity yet some people still believe he should be traded or not re-signed, I don't get that.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Markov will probably be back. He is not the old Markov but he is still a valuable asset that is not easy to replace.

Gionta is not needed back after this year. If the habs were healthier, they could even start transitioning him into a lesser role immediately. Its time to move on and thank him for his services.

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
The only player in the organization who has the upside to replace Markov is Beaulieu. Dont say Subban because he's already there. If Markov was to go, nobody else could take his place. If Diaz had a super high hockey IQ like Markov, he could maybe be that guy. Its doubtful, to stay positive, he ever develops into that type of Dman :P

Beaulieu is the only prospect in the organization who has all the tools required to be a complete Dman (similar to Markov). Right now, they dont need him to be the savior in Mtl so might as well let him grow in Hamilton with Tinordi.

Beaulieu isnt close to be ready. Markov will likely retire, as he should be, as a Habs.

Last edited:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Would definitely like to see Markov sign for 2 more years. I just wonder if they'll be able to come to terms. He may want that last big contract and the Habs may not be willing to give it to him. Someone would if he keeps up this play. D men are always well paid in FA.

Our d still needs him for a few more years.

Gionta I could see going. I don't think he'll be traded, I think he'll be let go. He'll sign somewhere, but likely for more $ and term than we want. Only chance he stays is on a short term, if the Habs don't see a way to plug the hole he leaves on RW.

Most obvious would be to replace him with a big version of himself - a speedy winger who crashes the net and cleans up garbage and has some puck skills. Preferably the winger would also be willing and able to knock guys down too.

If for whatever reason we're really out of it I'd be willing to trade Gionta and would semi-listen to offers on Markov but probably wouldn't move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad