Gionta and Markov staying with Habs?

canadians76

Oct 28, 2013
Ontario,Canada
In my opinion Markov is starting to become a burden on the Canadiens defence. I understand he has been a key player in the past and has proven a lot with the Canadiens but i think it is time for him to go. With a cap hit of almost 6m a year and him being on his last year of his contract, he either needs a lot less pay or to get traded to a team who is lacking on defence.

Brian Gionta is the captian of the team and i respect his leadership abilities with the habs but i dont think he is a good enough player. He is getting payed 5m a year and his contract also ends at the end of this season.

I don't see much value in these players but maybe they could be put in a package deal for some prospects or picks that would be able to fill their spots if they leave. This is all my opinion and I would like to hear some of your opinions.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
In my opinion Markov is starting to become a burden on the Canadiens defence. I understand he has been a key player in the past and has proven a lot with the Canadiens but i think it is time for him to go. With a cap hit of almost 6m a year and him being on his last year of his contract, he either needs a lot less pay or to get traded to a team who is lacking on defence.

Brian Gionta is the captian of the team and i respect his leadership abilities with the habs but i dont think he is a good enough player. He is getting payed 5m a year and his contract also ends at the end of this season.

I don't see much value in these players but maybe they could be put in a package deal for some prospects or picks that would be able to fill their spots if they leave. This is all my opinion and I would like to hear some of your opinions.

NTC.
Markov is pretty much crucial to our defense as it is.
Gionta can still make the job as something of a tweener 2nd/3rd liner with good 2-way play.

But i fully expect Gionta NOT to be signed next season, so yeah, I'd be willing to deal him, even if he still has uses.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Markov and Gio are the least of our problems.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Its pretty clear that if Markov wants to stay and sign reasonably he stays. He has been very valuable to the team so far.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
How is Markov a burden if he's playing top3 minutes and dishing out points on the PP? You do realize that his free market value is at around 5m anyway, right? Gonchar got 10m/2yrs at his old age and he's half the defensive defenseman Markov is.

Can you properly qualify your thoughts about Markov, explain why you think he's a burden, and then offer up an adequate replacement or option?

Re: Gionta, well I think he is an NHL player but he does not fit our squad make up at all. He's not capable of being a top6 player on a team with size issues up front, that much is certain.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
The habs would be crazy to let go Markov without a foolproof backup plan, because I don't thing the UFA market will be more interesting this year that it has been in the past. We desperately need all the good D we can get our hands on. Markov is a known asset, he's reliable, he knows the team, he likes it here. I really don't see how we could not offer him a new contract, as replacing him would be a pain in the ass. We can't survive on Subban alone, and those two are the only good D we have.

Gionta I would let go. MAYBE sign him for cheaper as a third liner, but I still prefer to give this money to someone else.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

Markov is a burden?????? What ****ing games are you watching?

Who the hell is going to replace him? (in b4 Nathan Beaulieu)

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The habs would be crazy to let go Markov without a foolproof backup plan, because I don't thing the UFA market will be more interesting this year that it has been in the past. We desperately need all the good D we can get our hands on. Markov is a known asset, he's reliable, he knows the team, he likes it here. I really don't see how we could not offer him a new contract, as replacing him would be a pain in the ass. We can't survive on Subban alone, and those two are the only good D we have.

Gionta I would let go. MAYBE sign him for cheaper as a third liner, but I still prefer to give this money to someone else.

My exact opinion personally. I think Markov should stay and if anything we should add another D. Maybe Girardi?

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Markov is still playing big minutes, and we have a weak D as it is until our prospects are ready. You lose Markov, you have a huge hole and you have to fill it.

Gionta has to go. I like the guy a lot. But he just isn't what he used to be, and he is probably a better fit for another squad.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Markov is still playing big minutes, and we have a weak D as it is until our prospects are ready. You lose Markov, you have a huge hole and you have to fill it.

Gionta has to go. I like the guy a lot. But he just isn't what he used to be, and he is probably a better fit for another squad.
How great would it be if we had a captain like that beautiful, heroic son of a gun in your avatar :handclap:

Not a mercenary mouse with a stupid goatee and two stumps for arms.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
How great would it be if we had a captain like that beautiful, heroic son of a gun in your avatar :handclap:

Not a mercenary mouse with a stupid goatee and two stumps for arms.

Carbonneau was an awesome player. Good defensively. Great shot-blocker. Classy guy. Classy Guy.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
In my opinion Markov is starting to become a burden on the Canadiens defence.

If I were you I would ask your cable provider to check your system. I think it's been hacked. You're getting a bogus feed. It's the only possible explanation I could come up with that would justify that sentence. Well, there's another explanation but that one would get me a notice from the mods.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Markov is a key cog. Gionta is replaceable IMO. There will likely be younger and cheaper 3rd line RW available as UFA this summer that would fill more needs.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I was a bit harsh on Markov last season but even I can admit he looks more like his old self this year...

Gotta love dem ROIDS

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Besides Subban, Markov is the only real offensive d-men in this team.
On defense, he is top of our team with +9. Next d-men is PK at +4 and Beaulieu at +2.

As for Gionta, we need to find someone who is better than him on the right side.
For now, only Gallagher can claim to be better than Gionta on offense.
At this point it seems that nobody among Gionta, Gallagher and Bourque are clearly dominating on the right wing.

In both cases, I do expect a lower salary.
Markov 2 years, Gionta one year.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
If we make the playoffs, it'll in part be because Subban and Markov are a great, great top 2, almost enough to make up for the last of defensive depth behind them. It's going to be a tough decision with Markov this summer (or even later in the year depending on our record), but let's appreciate him until then.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
If somehow MB can sign Vanek (buyout Briere & DD), I have no problems with Gionta on the 3rd line. But if they expect Gionta to be atop 6 forward, get his ass outta town!

As far as Markhov leaving, unless you somehow get a #1A d-man with Markhov's offensive ability in Montreal, Markhov stays.

My pseduo reaslistic / pipe dream

Pacioretty - Eller - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Prust - Bournival - Gionta
Moen - White - Parros

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray / Drewskie - Beaulieu / Tinordi

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
i don't mind resigning markov for a year maybe 2, but gionta should retire, he's useless without his shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->