Speculation: Gilbert Brule to Phoenix training camp

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I am glad we gave Brule another shot. He deserves it and him and Chip had great chemistry together. Pure energy.

I think Klinkhammer - Chipchura - Brule could be one of the best 4th lines in the NHL. Plenty of crash bang already, but Brule's skill can elevate the line to a consistent scoring threat as well.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think Klinkhammer - Chipchura - Brule could be one of the best 4th lines in the NHL. Plenty of crash bang already, but Brule's skill can elevate the line to a consistent scoring threat as well.

Don't forget that Yip is under contract and Brule is not.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

I was wondering where Brule went. To me it seemed he kind of dropped of the face of the earth until recently. I really liked how Brule played when he was on the coyotes and I think that line combo would be great. A lot of hustle

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Don't forget that Yip is under contract and Brule is not.

Of course, but unless Brule has massively regressed since last season, I don't forsee him not making the roster out of camp. Yip is also on a two-way, so sending him down to Portland won't be an issue.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Of course, but unless Brule has massively regressed since last season, I don't forsee him not making the roster out of camp. Yip is also on a two-way, so sending him down to Portland won't be an issue.

Didn't we let Brule go because we wanted more size on our 4th line/bottom six?

Brule adds some competition but I see Yip as the favorite to make the roster.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
yeah Ithink so too/ I actually think Klinkhammer is better then a fourth liner so if we can afford to keep him there, that is strength.

Klinkhammer looked very good last season. However, the jury is still out on him if he can continue the pace over the course of a NHL caliber season. I was shocked when we gave him a one-way for two years since we saw Bolduc and Johnson lose steam after the same sample size.

I'll be rooting for him though.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

I've mentioned it before but Brule was great in the Chicago series but horrible in the Kings series, Taylor Pyatt was basically the opposite of Brule. A nice luxury would be to have both of those players but with enough depth that you can play the Brule type (perhaps literally) only against fast and skilled teams like Chicago and the Pyatt type only against the big and rough types like the Kings.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

We lost Brule and Langkow and got Nick Johnson, and Moss + Klinkhammer, who are still with the team. Maloney IMO was a little too reactionary after being manhandled by the Kings, but Moss and Klink had decent seasons with us, and they provide plenty of size in our bottom 6.

In all reality, I'd be okay with any of Brule, Yip, or Brown at 4RW. But Brule is easily the most skilled out of all of them while still having the gritty demeanor to play on an energy line, and he also gives us a solid RH option to take faceoffs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Klinkhammer looked very good last season. However, the jury is still out on him if he can continue the pace over the course of a NHL caliber season. I was shocked when we gave him a one-way for two years since we saw Bolduc and Johnson lose steam after the same sample size.

I'll be rooting for him though.

I agree with all of this. Klinkhammer, though unhatched, has already been counted. Not characteristic of Maloney, really. Maybe DT lobbied hard for him.

rt

May 13, 2004
We lost Brule and Langkow and got Nick Johnson, and Moss + Klinkhammer, who are still with the team. Maloney IMO was a little too reactionary after being manhandled by the Kings, but Moss and Klink had decent seasons with us, and they provide plenty of size in our bottom 6.

In all reality, I'd be okay with any of Brule, Yip, or Brown at 4RW. But Brule is easily the most skilled out of all of them while still having the gritty demeanor to play on an energy line, and he also gives us a solid RH option to take faceoffs.

Agreed. Plus Yip can always be called up, if necessary.

Again, we don't even know if the PTO rumor is true on Brule. He may never have even spoken to DM this summer.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
The Klink-Chip-Yip line had the makings of a dream marketing 4th line, but I'd be happy with a dessert line of Colonel-Chip-Brule...

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
I would really like to see Brule make the team. I really liked him his first go around (even had him as my avatar).

I think this means that if the Coyotes can't find a player they feel comfortable trading for or as a UFA that they will put korpi up in the top 6.

Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan
Korpi-Hanzal-Vrbata
Klinkhammer-Vermette-Moss
Chip-Brule-Yip

I can also see Brule playing on the 3rd line. Klinkhammer is still a question mark to a degree over the course of a full season. Of course landing someone to play with Hanzal/Vrbata would be even better and letting Korpi and Klink slide down.

Korpi-Vermette-Moss
Klinkhammer-Chip-Brule

sounds like an awesome bottom six to me

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
However, the jury is still out on him if he can continue the pace over the course of a NHL caliber season.

11 points in 22 games. Not bad. Also, not a full season. However, I thought Johnson, Bolduc and Conner slowed down to the point of not making an impact. Klinkhammer was noticeable on the ice whether he was scoring or not. This is how I felt about Chip amongst all the AHL/4th line tweeners he played with the season before. I really feel Klink is an effective full time NHL player. Let us hope so anyways cause it will looks mighty foolish if Yip outplays him on a two-way.

Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan
Korpi-Hanzal-Vrbata
Klinkhammer-Vermette-Moss
Chip-Brule-Yip

There really are too many Dmen for the above scenario to happen. If it has to happen for part of the season to determine which dman should be traded, so be it cause the team is still better on paper than last season. But a Korpi-Vermette-Moss 3rd line could be straight up dangerous. A Klinkhammer-Chip-Brule line is going to put in work.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah, Maloney has been steadfast in insisting a other top winger will be added. He's maintained all along it will be closer to camp. I'm not worried about it. Even if grabs the sixth most effective forward in the top six, I'm pleased as a pig in ****.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
What I liked most about Klink was his plus/minus. And I know it may not pan out but I thought Maloney was considering Domi for the second line even though he was just drafted. But then again, we have the issue of so many d-men so indeed something has to move.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I thought Maloney was considering Domi for the second line even though he was just drafted. But then again, we have the issue of so many d-men so indeed something has to move.

I feel like Domi will start the season on the roster to evaluate what we have in him. I also have a suspicion this is to give Maloney time to make the best possible move he can for some of the blue line. I think this will give him a better idea of what type of winger we need more. Either someone to pull the trigger on the top line, or someone to make plays on the second.

Karlkarotte

Jul 24, 2013
I feel like Domi will start the season on the roster to evaluate what we have in him. I also have a suspicion this is to give Maloney time to make the best possible move he can for some of the blue line. I think this will give him a better idea of what type of winger we need more. Either someone to pull the trigger on the top line, or someone to make plays on the second.

seems legit. From the interviews with tip it seems like that could just as well be lessio instead of domi but well see.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Nothing wrong with bringing him back on a two way, but it does seem like might be that Maloney's having a hard time getting the second line fit.

I have no issue with the Brule signing. The facepalm is in regard to TSN's sloppy typo ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad