Speculation: Gilbert Brule to Phoenix training camp

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I like this a lot. He was an excellent bottom six guy in his last stint here, and I love that the Coyotes seem to be following the Red Wings model of not playing prospects until they have no choice not to. Chris Brown could still use some seasoning.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like this a lot. He was an excellent bottom six guy in his last stint here, and I love that the Coyotes seem to be following the Red Wings model of not playing prospects until they have no choice not to. Chris Brown could still use some seasoning.

This will make rt very happy.:handclap:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I like this. Hopefully he can earn a contract. Would have preferred Brule to Yip, but I guess you can never have too much depth.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like Brule makes a little more sense than Yip because he can actually win a face-off now and again, if need be. It's smart for Brule to accept an invite rather than a two-way. If he wins a spot, he can always negotiate a one-way. If he can beat out both Brown and Yip, he'll deserve a one-way.

Nice. Should be a competitive camp.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel like Brule makes a little more sense than Yip because he can actually win a face-off now and again, if need be. It's smart for Brule to accept an invite rather than a two-way. If he wins a spot, he can always negotiate a one-way. If he can beat out both Brown and Yip, he'll deserve a one-way.

I liked Brule in the regular season, did not like Brule in the playoffs where he was thrown around like a rag dog.

Feb 12, 2003
Under the right matchups Brule could be an effective player in the playoffs as well. I too was ready to walk away from him after the Conference finals run based on his playoffs that year. I do see how he can be a valuable contributor during the regular season for us this year and think it's a smart pickup. If he earns a spot at camp they can try to shelter his minutes in the playoffs when we make another run :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like this. Hopefully he can earn a contract. Would have preferred Brule to Yip, but I guess you can never have too much depth.

You are so right. He could very easily beat out Yip and Brown. I would like to see him on the third line with Moss and Vermette.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The defensemen are going to have to work hard. The forwards are going to have to work hard. Hell, even the goalies are going to have to work hard.

It's almost like Maloney wants all of the guys on staff to have a high "compete" level...

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The defensemen are going to have to work hard. The forwards are going to have to work hard. Hell, even the goalies are going to have to work hard.

It's almost like Maloney wants all of the guys on staff to have a high "compete" level...

Would we really want it any other way? ;)

Happy with this move. If Brule can return to the production he was showing for us after we picked him off waivers last year, he'd be a huge infusion of skill to our bottom six. He can fit on any line, and plus actually gives us a RH to take faceoffs.

DirtDogMesa

STH Sec 208 Row A
Oct 10, 2011
Mesa
Right On! Lets feed him tons of pork carnitas, pack some weight on him and turn him loose on a line with Klinkhammer and Chipchura. Now that's entertainment Good Luck Gilbert

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
We could use a skilled RH shot that can take face-offs. I wonder if Gilbert earns a contract, if he'll end up playing as our 4th. line center and Chipchura will play wing.

rt

May 13, 2004
We could use a skilled RH shot that can take face-offs. I wonder if Gilbert earns a contract, if he'll end up playing as our 4th. line center and Chipchura will play wing.

Klinkhammer and Chipchura have both got one-way deals. If Brule gets an offer, it'd be because he's beat both Brown and Yip and he'll have a good case for a one-way. As such, I imagine Klinkhammer will be 4LW, Chipchura 4C, and Brule 4RW (with the ability to take key RH draws if the circumstance calls for it). I'd call it basically ideal.

If the bottom six ends up like...

Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Klinkhammer-Chipchura-Brule
Bissonnette

...I will be a happy camper. I really llike 5/6 of the other forwards on the top two lines, too. It's just a question of who the other new guy will be up in the top six. I think I'll be fairly easy to please in that regard, however.

This has been one hell of a fantastic off-season, thus far. I can't really express how well things have gone to this point.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Anyone think Brule is skilled enough to see 2nd unit PP time? I think it's worth a shot.

It's possible, considering how much Newell Brown utilizes right-handed shots, but I think it's more of an outside chance that he sees consistent time on the 2nd. PP unit.

rt

May 13, 2004
I guess we do need to see whether it's actually true, or not. I believe Bob Stauffer is actually on the Edmonton Oilers payroll. Generally team employees don't make crap up and throw it out in public on a whim. If Dave Vest was actually connected to know something about something, I doubt he'd spit it out if it weren't true.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

His FO% is pretty crappy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Klinkhammer and Chipchura have both got one-way deals. If Brule gets an offer, it'd be because he's beat both Brown and Yip and he'll have a good case for a one-way. As such, I imagine Klinkhammer will be 4LW, Chipchura 4C, and Brule 4RW (with the ability to take key RH draws if the circumstance calls for it). I'd call it basically ideal.

If the bottom six ends up like...

Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Klinkhammer-Chipchura-Brule
Bissonnette

...I will be a happy camper. I really llike 5/6 of the other forwards on the top two lines, too. It's just a question of who the other new guy will be up in the top six. I think I'll be fairly easy to please in that regard, however.

This has been one hell of a fantastic off-season, thus far. I can't really express how well things have gone to this point.

It's nice for a change isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad