Recalled/Assigned: Ghost Returned To Phantoms (October 31, 2014)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's what he needs to be doing in the AHL. He wasn't dominating the AHL games yet. Once he does that he will get the call. They called him up first because aside from Sanheim and Morin he is our best Dman prospect (no doubt about this). But he is not ready to play the role he needs to play on this team to be successful. I also think people underestimate how important the mental stability of a player is.

If you read the Luca Sbisa posts on HF you see that everyone rips on him all the time. Though when he was here it was clear he was going to be a good Dman. But he was rushed and took steps backwards. Flyers would be doing Ghost a disservice to make the jump College to NHL. For a forward I would be more open to letting him ride it out, but on D there is a lot more responsibility and pressure.

Sbisa was just a dud pick. Two organizations thought he was ready to make the jump in back to back years so I'm not buying the whole being rushed theory.

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
If you watch the Richards goal, I really think the blame is on Rinaldo or Vandevelde, they both swing over to double cover the shooter instead of covering the trailer going in for a rebound. All players on the ice need to be defensively conscious of potential scoring threats and no one covered Richards going in for the back door. Since all the other players down low were already covering players, it was on Rinaldo or Vandevelde to cover the open man imo.

Yeah ALL the Flyer forwards need to work on their defensive coverage in these situations. Too often they overpursue one or two guys and leave an open man in a dangerous area. If I recall, I think G did this on the first Detroit goal. Got to have your head on a swivel and stay with your check.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That's what he needs to be doing in the AHL. He wasn't dominating the AHL games yet. Once he does that he will get the call. They called him up first because aside from Sanheim and Morin he is our best Dman prospect (no doubt about this). But he is not ready to play the role he needs to play on this team to be successful. I also think people underestimate how important the mental stability of a player is.

If you read the Luca Sbisa posts on HF you see that everyone rips on him all the time. Though when he was here it was clear he was going to be a good Dman. But he was rushed and took steps backwards. Flyers would be doing Ghost a disservice to make the jump College to NHL. For a forward I would be more open to letting him ride it out, but on D there is a lot more responsibility and pressure.

I don't think anyone's arguing he couldn't use more time in LHV. I just believe he should be used just a little more than he has so far. I mean its not like Lauridsen is out there who can't get out of the way of his own shadow. He's a good player. He'll make mistakes, but he'll make some plays too.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I know Homer said "you don't weigh down your ferrari", but Ghost needs ten pounds of only muscle imo. He is just so tiny for the nhl (defensive end). Hopefully he gets there.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Good. He needs the playing time, experience and some time in the weight room to gain some strength. He can learn from those two games as to what he needs to work on and such. This is best all the way around.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good. He needs the playing time, experience and some time in the weight room to gain some strength. He can learn from those two games as to what he needs to work on and such. This is best all the way around.

Plus, this really helps the Phantoms, which can only be good news.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Ghost wasnt ready yet. Better to use Manning who has more AHL and NHL experience, and is larger. Manning isnt slow either.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ghost wasnt ready yet. Better to use Manning who has more AHL and NHL experience, and is larger. Manning isnt slow either.

He's not a good skater.

It comes down to they don't care if they screw with Manning's development. At this point, he is what he is- an AHL defender.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Sending Ghost down is the right call; the timing sucks for him and his family, though. :laugh:

He'll be back after Colaiacovo gets hurt in his first game.

Last edited:

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I know Homer said "you don't weigh down your ferrari", but Ghost needs ten pounds of only muscle imo. He is just so tiny for the nhl (defensive end). Hopefully he gets there.

the ''weigh down the ferrari'' theory doesnt fly. some time in the weightroom would be the best thing for him. muscle makes you stronger, faster and MORE explosive. in other words the ''ferrari'' would just get more horse power.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
the ''weigh down the ferrari'' theory doesnt fly. some time in the weightroom would be the best thing for him. muscle makes you stronger, faster and MORE explosive. in other words the ''ferrari'' would just get more horse power.

To a point. Professional athletics is about developing the neural system as oppose hypertrophy. Weight good or bad does make one slower, just look at horse racing.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
To a point. Professional athletics is about developing the neural system as oppose hypertrophy. Weight good or bad does make one slower, just look at horse racing.

That's why you don't just pack on the lbs and you do it smart. Gaining 5lbs would have very little if any effect on his speed. He could easily add 7lbs of muscle without gaining more then 5lbs, which would go a long way. Any which way you look at it, he's physically out classed in the NHL right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends on the frame, some players add strength as they physically mature and actually get faster up to a certain point, but smaller guys with smaller frames quickly hit their limit - he might get a little stronger but Ghost will have to learn how to use his skating and stick to compensate for his lack of bulk - much the way Giroux does.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost is gonna turn out exactly like Giroux, it's so obvious.

Giroux was undersized and needed to rely on skill over strength and physicality.

Giroux played 2 games during his first stretch with the Flyers.

Both their names start with the letter "G".

It's like they're clones or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad