Value of: Getzlaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he plays til he's 38, possibly 39, which is 3-4 seasons. 35 vs. 39 yr.old legs is a huge difference.

Agreed. Just cause he is not a pt/game center anymore, it don't mean he is not effective putting up 60-80 pts and providing physical presence at center. Some people think 33-35 is old. Well, if that was true, the Pens and Bruins better start thinking rebuild!

The ones who decline and fall fast are the ones not committed to staying in shape.... like the lazy Big Buff

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have no idea if Toews would be willing to waive but if the offer was fair I'd listen if I was Bowman. Idk if they're quite ready to hand the reigns of the top 3 C positions to Dach/Strome/Kurashev though. If they moved Toews it would solve their cap issues with only one move that returns value.

I think it's more likely the Hawks move Strome than Toews though. Strome is 23, you guys interested? Don't look at Strome's number this year, as he got jerked around a bit and was highly productive when a) playing center and b) not injured.

I can see the Ducks, Kings, and Blackhawks considering a rebuild or min-rebuild. If the Blackhawks were willing to retain to help us stay competitive in our cap, I'd engage. Not many Habs fans would do it but I would consider trading Kotkaniemi and our 21 1st (lottery protection) if we got Lafreniere. Many Habs fans are ignoring that we are one of the better 5/5 teams and have issues with young centers learning on the job, our team D, and PP. You add Lafreniere, Toews, Brodin, and Kovalchuk while you unload Kotkaniemi, Domi, and a 21 1st? I think the Habs would be a very well balanced team.

This is a fringe contender to me and they get better. Prospects left would be Caufield, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Ylonen, Hillis as well as more picks coming! The centers are better balanced, team D is much better in front of Price, and our PP is better too!

Lafreniere / Toews or Getzlaf or Kopitar / Drouin
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Byron / Evans or Poehling / Lehkonen

Romanov / Weber
Brodin / Petry
Chiarot / Juulsen, Brook, or Fleury

Price
Primeau

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Ya, that’s more likely. Why desire to play in a city where people know and care about hockey?

I'm not so sure. Why put yourself under a microscope, so people who claim to know and care about hockey can nit pick everything you do and the local press can blame you for the team's inevitable failures? Not everyone wants to be in that situation.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Agreed. Just cause he is not a pt/game center anymore, it don't mean he is not effective putting up 60-80 pts and providing physical presence at center. Some people think 33-35 is old. Well, if that was true, the Pens and Bruins better start thinking rebuild!

The ones who decline and fall fast are the ones not committed to staying in shape.... like the lazy Big Buff
Keith Tkachunk takes offense to that :laugh::D:naughty::skeptic::DD:confused::cool:

He showed up 20-30 lbs. over @ camp, it was ~ his second to last season iirc.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have no idea if Toews would be willing to waive but if the offer was fair I'd listen if I was Bowman. Idk if they're quite ready to hand the reigns of the top 3 C positions to Dach/Strome/Kurashev though. If they moved Toews it would solve their cap issues with only one move that returns value.

I think it's more likely the Hawks move Strome than Toews though. Strome is 23, you guys interested? Don't look at Strome's numbers this year, as he got jerked around a bit(Colliton tried him at wing and it was a disaster, he went back to center and took off immediately) and was highly productive when a) playing center and b) not injured. An ankle injury to a guy who's a borderline average skater when healthy is a killer. If you're going to trade for Strome and try to make him a winger it's a mistake.

2nd reply...

It's all about if we get Lafreniere. Looking for a mature center who plays physical and can help mentor/shelter him. If we don't get Lafreneire, we likely stay put and not do anything drastic

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I can see the Ducks, Kings, and Blackhawks considering a rebuild or min-rebuild. If the Blackhawks were willing to retain to help us stay competitive in our cap, I'd engage. Not many Habs fans would do it but I would consider trading Kotkaniemi and our 21 1st (lottery protection) if we got Lafreniere. Many Habs fans are ignoring that we are one of the better 5/5 teams and have issues with young centers learning on the job, our team D, and PP. You add Lafreniere, Toews, Brodin, and Kovalchuk while you unload Kotkaniemi, Domi, and a 21 1st? I think the Habs would be a very well balanced team.

This is a fringe contender to me and they get better. Prospects left would be Caufield, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Ylonen, Hillis as well as more picks coming! The centers are better balanced, team D is much better in front of Price, and our PP is better too!

Lafreniere / Toews / Drouin
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Byron / Evans or Poehling / Lehkonen

Romanov / Weber
Brodin / Petry
Chiarot / Juulsen, Brook, or Fleury

Price
Primeau
Idk about retention man, it's a hard ask to trade a franchise legend like Toews and retain.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not so sure. Why put yourself under a microscope, so people who claim to know and care about hockey can nit pick everything you do and the local press can blame you for the team's inevitable failures? Not everyone wants to be in that situation.
For the last couple seasons of his playing days RG could be a God in the Mecca of hockey, which would rejuvenate his career. Or he could fade away into obscurity in a city where no one cares.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
2nd reply...

It's all about if we get Lafreniere. Looking for a mature center who plays physical and can help mentor/shelter him. If we don't get Lafreneire, we likely stay put and not do anything drastic
Let's say Habs don't get Lafreniere. You interested in Dylan Strome? He's still a long-term piece for whoever acquires him.

Quite frankly I'll be a little annoyed if neither the Habs or Hawks land #1.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Idk about retention man, it's a hard ask to trade a franchise legend like Toews and retain.

I understand but we are not taking Toews who is now a 60-80 pts center at 10.5M cap hit. You would say the same if we tried to trade you Price. I would ask for $3M of retention for 3 years and not send any salary back. Probably pisses off Kane thought right?

But hypothetically... This is my high point if you are willing to retain down to $7.5M...

- Toews ($3.5M retention)
for
- Kotkaniemi
- 21 1st (lottery protection)
- Mete

I actually think Toews would waive his NMC to go play with Weber and Price and have Lafreniere on his wing

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I understand but we are not taking Toews who is now a 60-80 pts center at 10.5M cap hit. You would say the same if we tried to trade you Price. I would ask for $3M of retention for 3 years and not send any salary back. Probably pisses off Kane thought right?

But hypothetically... This is my high point if you are willing to retain down to $7.5M...

- Toews ($3.5M retention)
for
- Kotkaniemi
- 21 1st (lottery protection)
- Mete
Toews is a pipedream. Let's discuss Strome, it's more realistic.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's say Habs don't get Lafreniere. You interested in Dylan Strome? He's still a long-term piece for whoever acquires him.

Nope. Rather play Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Danault as our centers. The idea is if we get Lafreniere, I want a mature and physical center like Getzlaf, Toews, or Kopitar. Someone who can help shelter/mentor Lafreniere where he won't be targeted as much. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are not ready to play 1C and I rather keep Danault with Tatar and Gallagher. Those 3 guys are awesome together

For the record... not many Habs fans would do this though

Hope someone who deserves Lafreniere cause they are struggling gets him. If the Leafs or Oilers get him, It's not right cause they are not bottom 10 teams and they already had their shot at a star player picking 1OA

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Toews is a pipedream. Let's discuss Strome, it's more realistic.

Strome don't fit our needs with or without Lafreniere though. If you don't want to move Toews or he is not willing to waive his NMC, then yeah... pipe dream

For the record... I don't hate Strome. Just not the type of target I am after if we get Lafreniere

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think the Habs have enough guys to spread out the attention though if Getzlaf comes over for a season or two. Price, Weber, Getzlaf, Gallagher, Tatar, Petry with the kids including Lafreniere? Not a bad situation if you ask me.

Habs try to win in the Getlzlaf/Weber window (1-3 years) and if they don't win, they still have a solid young core to keep building on after the vets are gone

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think the Habs have enough guys to spread out the attention though if Getzlaf comes over for a season or two. Price, Weber, Getzlaf, Gallagher, Tatar, Petry with the kids including Lafreniere? Not a bad situation if you ask me.

Habs try to win in the Getlzlaf/Weber window (1-3 years) and if they don't win, they still have a solid young core to keep building on after the vets are gone

Just because you can spread out some of the attention doesn't mean that it still won't be intrusive and annoying, especially compared to the relative anonymity of Anaheim. Plus, you'd either be asking Getzlaf to uproot his family and move them to a foreign country where they don't speak the language, or spend multiple seasons away from his family. And for what, exactly? What's the upside for him? I get the reason why Montreal would want him, but I struggle to see why Getzlaf would want to play anywhere other than Anaheim.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This + I understand he/his family are comfy in ANA.
Won't waive

What if the Ducks ask him what he wants for his next contract before the deadline and they are far apart? Is he going to take a substantial home town discount to stay? Possible but also a chance they both agree to part ways and Getzlaf gives the Ducks a list of teams he would waive for at the deadline. He then is away from his family (like Kovalchuk) for a few months and they decide next off season what they want based on the options they have?

I can see Getzlaf extending in October or being traded at the deadline. All depends on what both sides want for Term/AAV for his next contract. It could go smooth or not

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What if the Ducks ask him what he wants for his next contract before the deadline and they are far apart? Is he going to take a substantial home town discount to stay? Possible but also a chance they both agree to part ways and Getzlaf gives the Ducks a list of teams he would waive for at the deadline. He then is away from his family (like Kovalchuk) for a few months and they decide next off season what they want based on the options they have?

I can see Getzlaf extending in October or being traded at the deadline. All depends on what both sides want for Term/AAV for his next contract. It could go smooth or not

He'll probably take a discount and stay (like Joe in San Jose). I don't think the Ducks will extend him prior to next offseason because of the expansion draft. He'll be UFA during the draft, so they may have a handshake deal and not sign until after. He seems to like So Cal, and the bigger thing is his wife is from OC area and doesn't want to move. I'm not sure he will do the deadline deal, mainly because he's been with the same team his whole career and (I think) he's said something about only playing for one franchise.

Reactions: duckpuck

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He'll probably take a discount and stay (like Joe in San Jose). I don't think the Ducks will extend him prior to next offseason because of the expansion draft. He'll be UFA during the draft, so they may have a handshake deal and not sign until after. He seems to like So Cal, and the bigger thing is his wife is from OC area and doesn't want to move. I'm not sure he will do the deadline deal, mainly because he's been with the same team his whole career and (I think) he's said something about only playing for one franchise.

Will be an interesting thing to watch over the next year. Things change quickly in the NHL

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019

love the hawks but you guys dominated for a few years leave us the first overall please we're desperate for a star :laugh:

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I would trust you if you were the actual GM of both teams. But you are not. And yes, it appears that they are not available. I agree with that but like I said, things change in the NHL from season to season

Go ahead and hold your breath. But you will be turning blue before either player is moved.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Getzlaf just listed his house for sale. No idea where he is going but with what is going on in CA I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad